Post-Game Talk: Rangers 2, Penguins 1 (OT) - The Lovejoy Gives Great Quotes Edition

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
I get that people don't like Lovejoy or Scuderi but is the defense really the issue here? Goals allowed numbers are good. Defensively the team has been good enough.

The problem is the abomination that is the goal scoring. Even when they get shots, they can't bury them. The team needs deeper offensive skill and speed.

I've never wanted to trade Sid, Geno, or Tanger but something has to give. And not because they are playing poorly. Its the opposite, they are playing pretty good(as a unit) and its not good enough. The issue is the large contracts, not any of the three's actual play. You could use Geno's apparent injury as an excuse for him but I'm not sure that line, even with Malkin 100%, is much better than average.

And no I don't think 58 would have made a big difference in this series.

The accumulated health of the three just makes it all the more problematic.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I get that people don't like Lovejoy or Scuderi but is the defense really the issue here? Goals allowed numbers are good. Defensively the team has been good enough.

The problem is the abomination that is the goal scoring. Even when they get shots, they can't bury them. The team needs deeper offensive skill and speed.

I've never wanted to trade Sid, Geno, or Tanger but something has to give. And not because they are playing poorly. Its the opposite, they are playing pretty good(as a unit) and its not good enough. The issue is the large contracts, not any of the three's actual play. You could use Geno's apparent injury as an excuse for him but I'm not sure that line, even with Malkin 100%, is much better than average.

Whether people want to admit it or not, Lovejoy/Scuds/Martin have killed our offense. All they have to do is wrist the puck to the net w/ some speed. They can't do it... and our chances are gone. Tips/second chances are how you get goals nowadays. The offense funnels the puck well and gets it to the point for it just to die. It sucks. It's definitely a huge aspect of our offensive issues.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Whether people want to admit it or not, Lovejoy/Scuds/Martin have killed our offense. All they have to do is wrist the puck to the net w/ some speed. They can't do it... and our chances are gone. Tips/second chances are how you get goals nowadays. The offense funnels the puck well and gets it to the point for it just to die. It sucks. It's definitely a huge aspect of our offensive issues.

Completely agree.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I don't care if we have Mario and Gretzky centering our top two lines, if the defense cannot complete a pass to get the puck to them the offense is going to stutter.

Scuderi and Lovejoy are routinely missing passes to get the puck out of our zone. They aren't even hard passes either. On one of the first shifts of the game Scuderi missed two consecutive passes by 6 feet that both bounced to the Rangers. Against a team like the Rangers we need to play in their end and the opposite of that is happening because we can't get the puck out of our own end.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sutter pulled the disappearing act. Played 25% of the games with playoff poise and now has been MIA. I'd like to see him step up, too. But that list of players who need to step up is quite long.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
They are totally over-matched and yet all 4 games have been one goal games that could have gone either way. There's just only so much you can do without 3 of your top 4 D, a lack of quality on the wing and numerous washed up players dragging things down.

It'd sure be nice to have Depres instead of Lovejoy right now. Has anyone mentioned that? :laugh:

Their inability to move the puck from the blueline has been their death in this series.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne

This. Put Letang out there and our offensive guys have it a lot easier

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I shake my head when people downplay the injuries to the defence.

The Flames aren't using injuries to their defense as an excuse. Are they a better team than us? You better believe they are, but SHOULD they be?

This thing is way deeper than just the blueline injuries and how it's affecting the offense. This roster is broken even when healthy, the coaching staff sucks, the managers are all a bunch of idiots with no clue and upper management doesn't know how/care to fix things.

BigBenSF*

Daniel Winnik: -6 (NYR have scored 9 goals)
Paul Martin: -2
Ben Lovejoy: -2
Max Lap: -2
Brandon Sutter: -1
Ian Cole: -1
Perron: -1
Scuderi: -1
Malkin: -1

That Scuderi line has to be the most-flattering -1 in the history of the NHL. How the literal ****?

it's probably because +/- is 70% luck and a completely useless statistic in general

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sutter pulled the disappearing act. Played 25% of the games with playoff poise and now has been MIA. I'd like to see him step up, too. But that list of players who need to step up is quite long.

Sutter shows what he is capable of in spurts. But he looks like a guy with all of the talent in the world but simply does not have the motor.

If he had the motor and put on say 10-15lbs of muscle, the guy would be a huge asset for any team in the league, but that's simply not him and never will be.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Daniel Winnik: -6 (NYR have scored 9 goals)
Paul Martin: -2
Ben Lovejoy: -2
Max Lap: -2
Brandon Sutter: -1
Ian Cole: -1
Perron: -1
Scuderi: -1
Malkin: -1

That Scuderi line has to be the most-flattering -1 in the history of the NHL. How the literal ****?

I guess we put that down to MJ putting him out there w Sid and Horny 99% of the time....

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Terrible transition defenders really hurts your offense. Especially against a team with fast wingers who backcheck like hell. If you've noticed, the Pens are almost always on a 2 on 3, 3 on 4, or even up at best off the rush. Having dmen that can join the rush and move the puck up quickly is HUGE. The only way we can score right now is down low with traffic in front.

Additionally, this D core sucks at getting shots through, pinching in the O zone, and keeping the play alive. That also kills offense.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Flames aren't using injuries to their defense as an excuse. Are they a better team than us? You better believe they are, but SHOULD they be?

This thing is way deeper than just the blueline injuries and how it's affecting the offense. This roster is broken even when healthy, the coaching staff sucks, the managers are all a bunch of idiots with no clue and upper management doesn't know how/care to fix things.

The Flames aren't missing two thirds of their defence. This team is. You're kidding yourself if you don't think that has a serious impact.

BigBenSF*

The Flames played an incredibly easy matchup in Round 1 and will get crushed in the second round. Their play is simply unsustainable and shouldn't be compared to the Penguins, especially when the quality of defensemen that the Flames lost is much lower than the Pens.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yup and he's our best trade chip. Bite the bullet and move him for winger help.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
it's probably because +/- is 70% luck and a completely useless statistic in general

Indeed it is, good sir.

Unless, of course, the same people continue to show up as negatives, then you might have something.

or, you know, when you watch an OT goal and you see Ben Lovejoy lost in space and Daniel Winnik and Paul Martin enjoying the show.

Then. Then. Thennnnnnnnnn maybe you can use a stat and your eyes to think "yep, not meaningless"

In any event, having read your posts last night and now today, there's really only one thing to say:

good luck in your future endeavors.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Sutter shows what he is capable of in spurts. But he looks like a guy with all of the talent in the world but simply does not have the motor.

If he had the motor and put on say 10-15lbs of muscle, the guy would be a huge asset for any team in the league, but that's simply not him and never will be.

I'll believe iN Sutter when his Ws stop disappearing off the face of then earth....
I'd trade his 18-20 goals for him getting 12-15, and his Ws getting 12-15 too.

As it stands, we are paying him 3.3 mil to show up 3 weeks per year.
1.1 mil a week is good work if you can get it, I guess....

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Totally agreed. The injuries on D are a big issue, but the issues run far deeper than that.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Shooting percentages for Flames skaters through their first four games...

Kris Russell - 33%
Sam Bennett - 25%
TJ Brodie - 20%
Jiri Hudler - 20%
Brandon Bollig - 16%
David Jones - 11%
Johnny Gaudreau - 10%
Sean Monahan - 10%

All of this against a mediocre team in Vancouver. But yes, the Pens stop making excuses and play like that against the best team in the league. Like c'mon...

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Flames aren't missing two thirds of their defence. This team is. You're kidding yourself if you don't think that has a serious impact.

The Flames played an incredibly easy matchup in Round 1 and will get crushed in the second round. Their play is simply unsustainable and shouldn't be compared to the Penguins, especially when the quality of defensemen that the Flames lost is much lower than the Pens.

The Flames are missing their No. 1, No. 5 and No. 7 defensemen. And Mark Giordano would be OUR No. 1 defenseman and third-best player. So I am not sure you guys are serious or joking right now.

Giordano was the clear Norris favorite and possible Hart candidate when he went down.

AND, they don't have anything close to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to bail them out, let alone BOTH like we do.

Excuses are for losers, though, so please keep going.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I said I'm done with them this year. I'm still (and always will be) a Penguins fan, but I am choosing to not watch one more game of Lovejoy and Scuderi do what they do.

If they Dump Scuderi and significantly reduce Lovejoy's role, I'll be back next year.

My love for the team is no longer unconditional. Those are the terms I've placed on my fandom.

image.php

good night, sweet prince

Penguinzilla*

This just in: Penguins and Flames are playing against two different teams

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Wait, so when the series was tied 1-1 everybody was saying how overrated the Rangers are/were. NOW, oh well we're playing the best team in the NHL.

We need to keep the same narrative here.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
This just in: Penguins and Flames are playing against two different teams

Yeah really though

A positive has been our D has been putting in solid effort despite the lack of talent and MAF is playing like a first overall pick

Lack of scoring is the issue here but comparing shooting percentages is silly

Vancouver's D =/= NY's D

Lack =/= Lundqvist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad