Post-Game Talk: Rangers 2, Penguins 1 (OT) - The Lovejoy Gives Great Quotes Edition

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd like to think we could do a Rangers on the Rangers after the Rangers came back from 3-1 down last season to beat us. Think the Rangers will be too strong though and the Rangers will win on Friday.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Corsi gets one thing right and ignores what was wrong, so that makes it a flawless measurement of success?

The bottom line is the Rangers had relatively bad Corsi numbers, yet never came down to Earth. On the flip side, the Penguins' Corsi numbers suggested they were just having bad luck and eventually they'd start scoring goals and winning games, yet here we are.

Corsi is a tool to be used in conjunction with other evaluations. It's not the be-all, end-all perfect measurement that you look at and ignore all else.

Totally. It's not the perfect way to assessing how good a team is. However, it is better than saying "hey, they work hard out there", which is what Flames supporters keep saying. But again, this is a Pens board - not a Flames one - and I'm sure mods want it to stay that way.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Remember when everybody said the Avalanche were going to come back down to earth? Lo and behold, they did.

As always, Corsi points out things that people who pay attention to the league already knew were possibilities. Another big one people tout in favor of Corsi is the Leafs blowing it and missing the playoffs, when anyone that actually paid attention knew the Leafs gave up a ton of shots each and every game and it was exceptional they were even in the playoff race. It's funny.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
Many of the guys are playing the right way. They just can't score and we've seen it all year.

Kunitz can't hit the board side of a barn, probably age catching up to him.

Perron, Idk you got me. Geno's hurt.

Comeau, DW, Spaling, Bennett, Lappy , Downie they all play the right way but they can't score regularly and as a group are very slow and uncreative. The fact that they are all so slow really hurts transition. More than the dman imo.

If we weren't getting shots on goal I could see blaming the defense but we are. We just cant bury them. That's not to say that dynamic puck mover cant help but we have struggled all year. Even with Letang Depres and DP.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Totally. It's not the perfect way to assessing how good a team is. However, it is better than saying "hey, they work hard out there", which is what Flames supporters keep saying. But again, this is a Pens board - not a Flames one - and I'm sure mods want it to stay that way.

My post referenced the Rangers and Penguins in terms of their respective Corsi stats. Nowhere did I mention the Flames. So ... :help:

In any case, the point is you can't whitewash away a team's current success by simply pointing out poor Corsi numbers.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Many of the guys are playing the right way. They just can't score and we've seen it all year.

Comeau, DW, Spaling, Bennett, Lappy , Downie they all play the right way but they can't score regularly and as a group are very slow and uncreative. The fact that they are all so slow really hurts transition. More than the dman imo.

If we weren't getting shots on goal I could see blaming the defense but we are. We just cant bury them. That's not to say that dynamic puck mover cant help but we have struggled all year. Even with Letang Depres and DP.
there is a lot of manure to spread around.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guenin might be the worst defenseman in the league. Strait is probably headed back to waivers in the fall. Orpik and Engelland--especially Orpik--got a ton of minutes for this team. Niskanen and Orpik were developed by us, through many minutes and many mistakes, and Niskanen was better for us than he has been in his first year with Washington. Orpik has been better with Washington, but that's more due to the return of clutch and grab--which is what he was drafted for in the first place, many years ago--than any improvement with him, personally.

I'm not sure I understand the point here. Few of these players are paying dividends and the ones who did played a crapload of minutes with this team.

The point I was making is utilizing resources as stopgaps to trade value. There is no way we should be letting all those guys walk to waste stupid draft picks on similar players and letting them walk, too.

My point is we are literally drafting every defenseman, not getting any value for them, not playing them, and then signing/trading for similar defenders and letting them walk, too. It's just soooo bad when it comes to asset management.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
My post referenced the Rangers and Penguins in terms of their respective Corsi stats. Nowhere did I mention the Flames. So ... :help:

Sorry, it's just everybody's obsession with the Flames in spite of their of their possession numbers is what got the whole topic started.

As for the Rangers/Pens... I am aware that what has occurred in the series goes against what the stats suggest.

In any case, the point is you can't whitewash away a team's current success by simply pointing out poor Corsi numbers.

For sure.

MrWilson*

Sounds like good reasons to become an army of Hansons and turn it into better show for the folks at MSG. Painfully boring hockey so far...:rolly:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The point I was making is utilizing resources as stopgaps to trade value. There is no way we should be letting all those guys walk to waste stupid draft picks on similar players and letting them walk, too.

My point is we are literally drafting every defenseman, not getting any value for them, not playing them, and then signing/trading for similar defenders and letting them walk, too. It's just soooo bad when it comes to asset management.

If what you're getting at is we should have traded at least some of these one year out from free agency, then I agree. If you're suggesting none of them got a chance, then I don't.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If what you're getting at is we should have traded at least some of these one year out from free agency, then I agree. If you're suggesting none of them got a chance, then I don't.

No.. Engo got plenty of chances :laugh: But trading Engo and signing #7s or trading for a #6 defender is stupid. It's not needed.

I'm talking about moving Niskys/Orpiks/Martins when you can to get value for them and utilizing the prospects/draft picks correctly. Then I want to use guys such as the youth to play #6/#7 roles which they CAN do.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
No.. Engo got plenty of chances :laugh: But trading Engo and signing #7s or trading for a #6 defender is stupid. It's not needed.

I'm talking about moving Niskys/Orpiks/Martins when you can to get value for them and utilizing the prospects/draft picks correctly. Then I want to use guys such as the youth to play #6/#7 roles which they CAN do.

Then, yeah, I'm on board. Moving Orpik, especially, a year early was pretty much a no-brainer to everyone but Shero and Bylsma.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

For the record, I'm not saying the Flames are a better team than the Pens (although I do think they could beat us in a series with the way they are playing right now). All I was suggesting is that the Flames aren't just winning because Vancouver sucks. They are winning because they are playing their balls off and are actually a pretty good team.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
For the record, I'm not saying the Flames are a better team than the Pens (although I do think they could beat us in a series with the way they are playing right now). All I was suggesting is that the Flames aren't just winning because Vancouver sucks. They are winning because they are playing their balls off and are actually a pretty good team.

Fair enough.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
That CEC crowd was awesome last night. I knew they would be. I told my buddy who used my seats it would be the best crowd of the year. With the prices super low, it brings a lot of people that really want to be there. Not jaded, cynical jagoff fans like myself, haha.....it was awesome to see/ hear.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
That CEC crowd was awesome last night. I knew they would be. I told my buddy who used my seats it would be the best crowd of the year. With the prices super low, it brings a lot of people that really want to be there. Not jaded, cynical jagoff fans like myself, haha.....it was awesome to see/ hear.

Imagine if they were playing well!

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
The Pens have been playing great for their current lineup, each game has been extremely close and the refs haven't helped the Pens at all... a little more puck luck and the series could've been the Pens up 3-1 or even 4-0 (and vice versa for the Rags). You guys are so entitled it's not even funny anymore. Last night was disappointing but you just knew after the missed opportunity's it wasn't going to happen. :(

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Pens have been playing great for their current lineup, each game has been extremely close and the refs haven't helped the Pens at all... a little more puck luck and the series could've been the Pens up 3-1 or even 4-0 (and vice versa for the Rags). You guys are so entitled it's not even funny anymore. Last night was disappointing but you just knew after the missed opportunity's it wasn't going to happen. :(

Why are we entitled to want our team to win? Do you honestly think puck luck is the difference in this series?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
All right, guys. I'm going with the rally avatar. It worked against Buffalo so time to put it to the test.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I laugh when people talk about the Avalanche missing the playoffs as something everybody knew was going to happen because of their advanced numbers.

They lost Paul Stastny and never replaced him. He was the glue guy on that roster. The bridge between the kids and the vets. They lost MacKinnon right when he was starting to turn his sophomore jinx season around. They lost Erik Johnson, their most important defenseman by far, right when they were starting to make a big move up the rankings. Varlamov wasn't nearly as good as last season. And they play in one hell of a division.

The Pens, with all of their great advanced stats, would not make the playoffs in the Central...even sans injuries.

The Avs will be back next year. They'll be significantly better than the Pens, too.

Advanced metrics or no.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
I laugh when people talk about the Avalanche missing the playoffs as something everybody knew was going to happen because of their advanced numbers.

They lost Paul Stastny and never replaced him. He was the glue guy on that roster. The bridge between the kids and the vets. They lost MacKinnon right when he was starting to turn his sophomore jinx season around. They lost Erik Johnson, their most important defenseman by far, right when they were starting to make a big move up the rankings. Varlamov wasn't nearly as good as last season. And they play in one hell of a division.

The Pens, with all of their great advanced stats, would not make the playoffs in the Central...even sans injuries.

The Avs will be back next year. They'll be significantly better than the Pens, too.

Advanced metrics or no.

Seriously? I mean, seriously? Do you just pull **** out of your ass whenever you please? Without injuries the Pens are President trophy contenders and the horrible, horrible trades don't happen.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Seriously? I mean, seriously? Do you just pull **** out of your ass whenever you please? Without injuries the Pens are President trophy contenders and the horrible, horrible trades don't happen.

Really? We had our franchise centers for most of this season, and we collapsed anyway. Despres would have been dealt, one way or another.

That Presidents' Trophy would have happened if we played a 27-game regular schedule. We don't.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
Why are we entitled to want our team to win? Do you honestly think puck luck is the difference in this series?

Four 1 goal games against the 'best' in the East, with an absolutely decimated roster, suffering the largest PP disparity I've ever seen in a series...yes, convert on a couple of those close calls and it would be a different series.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
Really? We had our franchise centers for most of this season, and we collapsed anyway. Despres would have been dealt, one way or another.

That Presidents' Trophy would have happened if we played a 27-game regular schedule. We don't.

You mean those 27 games before we begun losing key players for the entire season? Does anyone here remember Dupuis or Maatta? :help:

Sorry I didn't mean to be a total ******* but we lost some serious key players who would have changed our trade power/position and TEAM greatly.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Four 1 goal games against the 'best' in the East, with an absolutely decimated roster, suffering the largest PP disparity I've ever seen in a series...yes, convert on a couple of those close calls and it would be a different series.

I really hate to be a sour grapes ****** fart but honestly I agree. Even the Rangers announcers said that Kunitz's stick was half an inch from putting that puck in the Rangers net at the end of the last game. Hank completely fled his net but his mistake was never punished. Both of the non-calls in Game 3 led to Rangers goals. All the games ended with a one goal deficit. That is literally the definition of a lack of puck luck. But when we say it it sounds like we are "salty." Whatever lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad