Post-Game Talk: Rangers 2, Penguins 1 (OT) - The Lovejoy Gives Great Quotes Edition

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Look no further than Fleury to see just how incompetent this organization is. They drafted this guy when, 2003? For years, he had issues with over-sliding, rebounds, and the mental aspects of playing goaltender. He showed flashes of brilliance but it never quite came together. Year after year, Fleury was very much a part of the annual Penguins playoff meltdown. Now they have hired an actual good goalie coach and those habits have disappeared in no time.

A problem fixable with some good coaching and it only took 12 years to round the corner. Now imagine that on an organizational scale. Imagine all the issues we see that could be fixed with good coaching. Imagine having a coach who scratches players who suck and who would not accept players like Rob Scuderi on his roster. Imagine having a front office that doesn't think that Scuderi is a security blanket.

It doesn't matter though because this organization as constructed doesn't have guys capable of identifying the actual problem let alone guys who could actually provide a solution. It's a sad state of affairs. Luckily for me, I have abandoned all expectations and am numb to disappointment.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
"I don't want to focus on scoring with this team" - MJ

Ehhhhh, what?

Therein lies the BIGGEST problem with the NHL. Coaches only know how to coach good defense, which they hope will equate to enough offense.

My god, the sport is run by idiots.....

If you are a season ticket holder or pay to watch this sport in any way, and you love scoring. You have to ask yourself why you would ever spend one more $ on this garbage.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Just three things:

1) I repeat my mantra either letting Geno rest, or severely limiting his minutes. He is clearly hurt as he can't even shoot.

2) Patric Hörnqvist for president! He is the heart & soul of this shell of a team, night in, night out.

3) What the ****ing **** was Lovejoy intending to do in the OT goal play by burying himself behind the net?

They'll probably win Game 5 at MSG, but Game 6 will be the end of everything. I thought it wouldn't hurt, but since the Rags have been so terrible, the optimism of course kept coming back.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
I sat there watching the entire game at CEC unfold, and I had only one thought after it was over:

When the HELL is someone gonna chug a beer bottle at Scuderi/Lovejoy?

thenumbersdonotlie*

Just three things:

1) I repeat my mantra either letting Geno rest, or severely limiting his minutes. He is clearly hurt as he can't even shoot.

2) Patric Hörnqvist for president! He is the heart & soul of this shell of a team, night in, night out.

3) What the ****ing **** was Lovejoy intending to do in the OT goal play by burying himself behind the net?

They'll probably win Game 5 at MSG, but Game 6 will be the end of everything. I thought it wouldn't hurt, but since the Rags have been so terrible, the optimism of course kept coming back.

[mod] Pitt is basically playing the trap because they have to. They make every game look ugly. The thing the Rangers care about is winning 4 games and moving on. Not putting on a show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
[mod] Pitt is basically playing the trap because they have to. They make every game look ugly. The thing the Rangers care about is winning 4 games and moving on. Not putting on a show.

I think his point is that they have been squeaking out one-goal victories against a severely and irreparably depleted team. The Pens are hanging on for dear life. No need to be offended (and whine on another team's boards about someone being a sore loser because your feelings are hurt someone dissed the team you support--ironic much?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
It's fine to be discouraged and disappointed. But when people begin to say they are going to stop following the team because they are unhappy with the last 5 or 6 years, it only provides fuel for those who knock down the Penguins for their fanbase being spoiled and filled with "bandwagoners."[/QUOTE]

Thanks for writing this, because it's a very important statement that permeates through this organization. Mario cares if others think he's a hypocrite. Morehouse cares if the brand is tarnished. JR cares about some hack journalist. The fans care what other fans think of them. How about this, everyone worry about what's best for winning a Cup, and stop giving two ***** what anyone else thinks about them??

I've read this **** for years on this forum; 'other fans say this about us. the main boards hate us. etc etc'. If people are really troubled by what some pimply-faced 14 year old in Manitoba think, then I really feel sorry for those people.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
They're doing the best with what they have available. They can lead Lovejoy and Martin back to the net, but they can't make them defend it.

A different bounce and we could have a tied series against a faster team.

The breakout looked much better.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's fine to be discouraged and disappointed. But when people begin to say they are going to stop following the team because they are unhappy with the last 5 or 6 years, it only provides fuel for those who knock down the Penguins for their fanbase being spoiled and filled with "bandwagoners."
I think like one dude said he was done and had a total of 3 posts w/ a Winnipeg Jets username. :laugh: I think people on this forum are overreacting to the one individual that said it.

I actually feel kind of encouraged watching this series. Things could be a lot different if we had Letang, Erhoff and Maatta in the line up. I'm still pissed about JR trading Despres for Lovejoy but Cole has proven to be a major upgrade over Bortuzzo and bringing in guys like Hornqvist, Comeau and Winnik are the kind of players you need at this time of year. Perron hasn't hashed out yet but I'm convinced he'll have a huge bounce-back.

I'm on the fence about MJ but he does have this team playing playoff hockey. They just inevitably fall short when you're going defence-for-defence with a healthy Rangers team.

And FINALLY Marc-André Fleury has looked great.

Still lots of holes to fix but at least things are being done with some forethought now and we're not just depending on "Getting to our game".

I think I would have hope, but we have a crap load of expiring contracts and not much change is going to happen this summer. When Mario/Burkle talked about getting younger - they hire the oldest GM and have one of the oldest teams in the league. They failed to live up to their words and failed miserably.

I'm encouraged with how they are playing, but they haven't been able to win.

The one huge bright spot - Fleury is awesome. But I'm going to be very pissed when he cannot sustain this level, because it's nearly impossible to do so. Everything needs to click for a Cup winning team. We wasted good years w/ bad Fleury years and great Fleury years w/ bad teams/no adjustments (DB). That's going to suck in the future.

I'm encouraged, but I have no faith that this team builds an organization instead of a 1 year tournament team. So the summer will be cautiously pessimistic dreaming of the glory days of Despres.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I had to dvr the game.....and of Corse the recording stopped at the end of regulation.......it's just how things have been going. :)....the rags are shying away from the physical play...all ways the second man in....if we only had a little more push on our team....defense men not being able to get the puck to the wingers has hurt what little offence we have........ I have seen nothing from the rag's, that would make me think that we can't win the next 3 games.....then again I've seen nothing from our management that would lead me to believe we will make the changes necessary to beat them.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's fine to be discouraged and disappointed. But when people begin to say they are going to stop following the team because they are unhappy with the last 5 or 6 years, it only provides fuel for those who knock down the Penguins for their fanbase being spoiled and filled with "bandwagoners."

I said I'm done with them this year. I'm still (and always will be) a Penguins fan, but I am choosing to not watch one more game of Lovejoy and Scuderi do what they do.

If they Dump Scuderi and significantly reduce Lovejoy's role, I'll be back next year.

My love for the team is no longer unconditional. Those are the terms I've placed on my fandom.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
This team is an absolute abomination.

Fire JR

Consider firing MJ

Trade Perron

Trade Kunitz

Buyout Scuderi

Get rid of pretty much anyone not named Crosby Malkin Letang Fleury Hornqvist

Way too many passengers on this team and guys who play well below their potential

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I said I'm done with them this year. I'm still (and always will be) a Penguins fan, but I am choosing to not watch one more game of Lovejoy and Scuderi do what they do.

If they Dump Scuderi and significantly reduce Lovejoy's role, I'll be back next year.

My love for the team is no longer unconditional. Those are the terms I've placed on my fandom.

Im with you. I have watched about 4 games in the last 2.5 months, with last night being only the second Pens playoff game. I just dont see the point in wasting my time.

I still cheer for them. I still want them to win. But I dont feel the need to waste my time watching games I know they are going to lose. Frankly, Im surprised they won game 2.

Been looking forward to the offseason since January.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Well, what can you really say? They're trying, we just don't have the horses. The jury's still out on Johnston but you have to feel better about him this series. They are adjusting and making the games competitive. Under 'he who shall not be named' we'd be turning the puck over and getting caught going the wrong way constantly.

These games really do suck though. Sure we're so used to it and you can fool yourself into finding them interesting because of the systems, but really it's just lackluster hockey.

PS: Remember how important it supposedly was to get the puck up to the forwards quickly under Shero? Well I guess he threw out that philosophy when he signed Scuds. Seriously, there was a point in the first period where Scuds completely misfired on a pass up to a forward in the neutral zone, just completely missed him, the puck came back to him and he completely missed again. Two completely errant passes in a row from an NHL defenseman who wasn't being pressured. That's something else.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

Good, your missing presence will make this board a better experience for everyone.

bandwagon.jpg

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Well, what can you really say? They're trying, we just don't have the horses. The jury's still out on Johnston but you have to feel better about him this series. They are adjusting and making the games competitive. Under 'he who shall not be named' we'd be turning the puck over and getting caught going the wrong way constantly.

These games really do suck though. Sure we're so used to it and you can fool yourself into finding them interesting because of the systems, but really it's just lackluster hockey.

PS: Remember how important it supposedly was to get the puck up to the forwards quickly under Shero? Well I guess he threw out that philosophy when he signed Scuds. Seriously, there was a point in the first period where Scuds completely misfired on a pass up to a forward in the neutral zone, just completely missed him, the puck came back to him and he completely missed again. Two completely errant passes in a row from an NHL defenseman who wasn't being pressured. That's something else.

I think Johnston has done a good job in this series. You can lose and still do a good job coaching. I don't agree with every single thing he's done, but not enough to be overly critical.

The Despres/Lovejoy trade is getting worse by the day.... I wouldnt care if the front office was shaken up, but I think MJ should stay unless there's a sure fire coach waiting to take his place.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You know what's funny about Perron... if we traded our first at the draft for Perron and re-signed him, people would be cheering left/right around here. Let's see what he does first.

Yes.. he deserves the crap he's getting. No doubt. He also showed brilliance when he got here and we were all calling it the steal we needed.

Let's see where it goes. I'm not sold on that one either way. I want to watch it over time. But let's face reality... w/ how we draft, develop, and play our youngsters - what do you think would have happened?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You know what's funny about Perron... if we traded our first at the draft for Perron and re-signed him, people would be cheering left/right around here. Let's see what he does first.

Yes.. he deserves the crap he's getting. No doubt. He also showed brilliance when he got here and we were all calling it the steal we needed.

Let's see where it goes. I'm not sold on that one either way. I want to watch it over time. But let's face reality... w/ how we draft, develop, and play our youngsters - what do you think would have happened?

I'm never excited about trading a first round pick, but I did hope that Perron would help either Sid or Geno. It's crazy what's happened though these past two months. The team can't score. Is it coaching??? I have no clue. But I will not watch the NJ Devils part 2.

One other point. The track record of this current regime developing prospects makes the loss of the first rounder sting a bit less as well.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Eh, .

Asset values? A 31 year old never-was, borderline AHL defenseman who we had just dumped for a 5th rounder (because that's all we could even get) for a 23 year old, 6'4", 215lb defenseman who skates extremely well, moves the puck well, is physical and loves it, and will drop the mitts to stick up for his team.

The ever vaunted #Experience comparison? Despres was essentially a rookie, but has something like 100 less games played than Lovejoy--a 31 year old. ****, if 100 games is that much of a difference, I sure as Hell didn't realize that.

Impact now, as well as impact in the future; No contest. Despres is 10x the player Lovejoy is now, ever has been, or ever will be. He'll also only get much better as he learns the limits of his style and becomes more comfortable offensively.

I hate to say this, but I was the first to say that. You stole my line.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I would have never considered a team with Crosby and Malkin would be so boring to watch. I can't watch a Pens game from beginning to end. Just a shame that management under Shero and now JR simply watch bad players who stink and allow them to have major roles in the team. When the franchise is not willing to make the decisions necessary to limit or take the hit, then said indifference to the supporters is no longer justified. Unless Mario wakes up and sees the crap that is now being passed off as top flight hockey I see fans just finding other interests.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Adams. Craig Adams is my red line. They resign him, I'm done. Never ever had to even think about not following this team. But that's my line.

What is frustrating about this playoffs is two things:

1. Due to injuries and overall roster make up, we know they are not going to be winning the cup. So no matter how these games turn out, we know deep inside that it's not going to happen.

2. They are taking it to the Rangers on a level I didn't expect. They are more than capable of winning this series.

So it is frustrating to watch them lose still.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
It's crazy what's happened though these past two months. The team can't score. Is it coaching??? I have no clue. But I will not watch the NJ Devils part 2.

Of course it's coaching, injuries to defensemen who don't vomit all over themselves when they touch a puck hurts their breakout sure, but they were struggling before letang got injured, before despres was traded, crosby struggled with this system all year outside of the first 3 weeks, etc. There's no explanation for the team wide slump of epic proportions that hit this team however long ago it was other than the only thing that effects every player equally, the system the coaches make them play. It determines everything, where the players are on the ice and when, whether they're in proper positions to generate high scoring % shots or not, whether they pinch or collapse, dump or carry, etc. Nothing else makes logical sense.

Literally every single winger, regardless of career norms, lost the ability to score all at the same time. What was it like 2 or 3 goals over a 2-3 month period was the statline for almost every player in the top 9? The chances of so many players all hitting a slump at the same time due to reasons solely of their own making is practically impossible, not even a total lack of breakout ability by the defense can explain such a dropoff, teams tanking for mcdavid bereft of any talent or will to win outscored them down the stretch.

It's the system they're being forced to play, it's the only explanation. Sure it seems to have improved their ability to prevent goals in the playoffs which I guess was their stated goal, but at the cost of almost all offensive potential. Which not only cancels out the only advantage roster wise they have over other teams (the two centers), but is also rendered redundantly pointless when you still have to score to win in the playoffs. They're not built to win 1-0 games, it's the most ass-backward system for a specific group of players ever, and obviously doesn't work since they're succeeding at the intended goal of preventing goals in the playoffs and still losing.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Daniel Winnik: -6 (NYR have scored 9 goals)
Paul Martin: -2
Ben Lovejoy: -2
Max Lap: -2
Brandon Sutter: -1
Ian Cole: -1
Perron: -1
Scuderi: -1
Malkin: -1

That Scuderi line has to be the most-flattering -1 in the history of the NHL. How the literal ****?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Of course it's coaching, injuries to defensemen who don't vomit all over themselves when they touch a puck hurts their breakout sure, but they were struggling before letang got injured, before despres was traded, crosby struggled with this system all year outside of the first 3 weeks, etc. There's no explanation for the team wide slump of epic proportions that hit this team however long ago it was other than the only thing that effects every player equally, the system the coaches make them play. It determines everything, where the players are on the ice and when, whether they're in proper positions to generate high scoring % shots or not, whether they pinch or collapse, dump or carry, etc. Nothing else makes logical sense.

Literally every single winger, regardless of career norms, lost the ability to score all at the same time. What was it like 2 or 3 goals over a 2-3 month period was the statline for almost every player in the top 9? The chances of so many players all hitting a slump at the same time due to reasons solely of their own making is practically impossible, not even a total lack of breakout ability by the defense can explain such a dropoff, teams tanking for mcdavid bereft of any talent or will to win outscored them down the stretch.

It's the system they're being forced to play, it's the only explanation. Sure it seems to have improved their ability to prevent goals in the playoffs which I guess was their stated goal, but at the cost of almost all offensive potential. Which not only cancels out the only advantage roster wise they have over other teams (the two centers), but is also rendered redundantly pointless when you still have to score to win in the playoffs. They're not built to win 1-0 games, it's the most ass-backward system for a specific group of players ever, and obviously doesn't work since they're succeeding at the intended goal of preventing goals in the playoffs and still losing.

Nah, it's the roster. Other than Perron who could possibly be affected by this notion of a stifling system more than the fact that they're simply just not that great? Kunitz is shot, Comeau was playing above his pay grade for a few months, Winnik was never anything special just the default best checker at the deadline, need I go on? Plus the Rangers love stretching our D and constantly try to blow by us, and they're not scoring much either.

As for how they've played recently, would you have them play more aggressive and inevitably get burnt by a much faster team? They're just doing what they can to stave off a better team. Believe it or not, our centers aren't really an advantage anymore. Not when there are more well-rounded teams up and down the roster (and other teams with stars that apparently easily rival ours).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad