Post-Game Talk: Ranger Danger, Pens get shut out 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We do have to bury our chances, but I don't buy into the Rangers being a big obstacle. If we have all the core guys healthy and aren't totally decimated depth-wise, I'm confident in our chances.

This game we were missing Malkin and some pretty significant depth (esp. with Daley going down and running with 5 D). I know they were missing some big guns too, but we're not constructed to withstand the loss of a 9.5 mil player, let alone 4 additional regular roster players.

Sure but when is the last time all the big guns were legitimately healthy heading into the playoffs?

That's why I'm disappointed in guys like Kessel, Perron (his time here), Bonino, etc. The first 2 were brought in to score when our stars were shut down or injured. Bonino was to bring cheap depth scoring. None of them have lived up to their reputations. We desperately need Kessel to be a game changer.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
Fleury was slightly better than his last couple outings. I don't fault him for the Moore goal, but the first one reminded me of old Fleury, when he would give up a lot of big, juicy rebounds and then flail around out of position.

I don't think Kessel played poorly, but at some point he has to finish. I just don't think he can handle those hard Crosby passes (the first pass was a little off but the second he just flubbed).

I think this team has probably been yelled at so many times to just shoot the puck and stop with the fancy passing, that they just try to shovel everything at the net now and don't seem to have much patience for good shot selection. They need to find a balance, especially against a shot blocking team like the Rags.

The young guys are still learning.. and it shows. I'm sure Rust will make a smarter play next 2 on 1 he gets. We've also seen that Sheary is capable of some pretty skilled offensive plays... hopefully we see more of that and he buries it next time.

Oh well, this game didn't get me down too much because they played pretty solidly for *most* of it. As long as they can pick themselves back up and not get in another funk.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
This board's infatuation with speed has gotten way out of control now. Seriously.

Speed is great, but give me guys who think the game well and have skills like shooting and dangling ability. THAT produces offense more often than speed.

You guys can have your speed, I'll take the Luc Robitaille's of the world.

Teams that win build around a particular concept. They overload on one or two things that other teams are incapable of matching. If they have an unbeatable goaltender, maybe they stack defensive players to reinforce that (Devils, historically). If they have guys who make quick decisions, they get rid of anyone who doesn't (Chicago with Pirri and the Hayes brothers). If they have bruisers, they intimidate you and play psychological games (Boston, for years). If they have big players, they lean on you and win 7 game wars of attrition that you'll be more damaged by than they will (Los Angeles).

It's less that speed is the ideal concept for the Penguins to build around, so much as it's the only thing they have the personnel to build around. If we were to angle toward becoming like the Kings (which is what I want, in an ideal world); that's a five or more year process.

Detroit Red Wings with Luc Robitaille were a tough out because every line had at least two guys intuitively capable of beating a goaltender. You could out-shoot them 40 to 13 and lose 4-3.

2016 Pittsburgh Penguins with Luc Robitaille are a bunch of fast guys and a slow guy. That doesn't get you anywhere. The roster works at cross purposes with itself.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Honestly, hell if I know. I'd have to look but if I'm being honest again I haven't really tried to map out this deadline but I don't even think they have the pieces to do anything of note. No first rounder and I'd like to keep Sprong and Pouliot and the picks we do have.

I'm personally against trading Pouliot/Sprong and picks. So....that certainly limits who the Penguins could acquire :laugh:

It would have to be a hockey trade, which again, limits who we could get because our options are Cole/Bennett/Bonino, and maybe minor players such as Kuhnhackl/Sheary/Wilson.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm personally against trading Pouliot/Sprong and picks. So....that certainly limits who the Penguins could acquire :laugh:

It would have to be a hockey trade, which again, limits who we could get because our options are Cole/Bennett/Bonino, and maybe minor players such as Kuhnhackl/Sheary/Wilson.

I'd be willing to trade Jarry, one of our 2nds, and anything 3rd or below. Pouliot, Sprong, Murray are off limits, as are all future 1sts. Bonino could also be a nice piece. Fehr and Cullen are fine at 3C and 4C, and Bonino could probably net a decent LW.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Outside of a top line LWer, what even do the Pens need at this point? Daley has done well in a top-4 role and Pouliot looks like he'll be at that level within a year. They're completely set at center and RW (even more so if Beau can figure out how to stay healthy). With an additional LWer, our LW depth looks drastically better too. I think our roster would be set up extremely well with just adding a cheap and young top-6 LWer. Everything else falls into place with adding a Zucker or Pirri or someone like that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Outside of a top line LWer, what even do the Pens need at this point? Daley has done well in a top-4 role and Pouliot looks like he'll be at that level within a year. They're completely set at center and RW (even more so if Beau can figure out how to stay healthy). With an additional LWer, our LW depth looks drastically better too. I think our roster would be set up extremely well with just adding a cheap and young top-6 LWer. Everything else falls into place with adding a Zucker or Pirri or someone like that.

The problem is what we'd have to give up for that guy. Everyone wants cheap and young top 6 players.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sure but when is the last time all the big guns were legitimately healthy heading into the playoffs?

That's why I'm disappointed in guys like Kessel, Perron (his time here), Bonino, etc. The first 2 were brought in to score when our stars were shut down or injured. Bonino was to bring cheap depth scoring. None of them have lived up to their reputations. We desperately need Kessel to be a game changer.

To be fair, how much has Bonino played in the new system?

Crosby has started to show his usual scoring prowess, Kunitz has more jump as well, but Kessel? What in the blue **** is going on with lard ass? He's not even the guy that was with the Leafs that we thought we were getting. He's a guy that seemed to elevate himself when he was with lesser linemates and that happened when Geno went down, still nothing more from him that leaves you thinking - Well damn, there's the Kessel we thought we were getting. Instead, we get to say that in the negative way.

If Perron was a disappointment, Kessel is disastrous.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

Pirri is said to be on the trading block. I'd be happy if the Pens acquired him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The problem is what we'd have to give up for that guy. Everyone wants cheap and young top 6 players.

They're not that expensive, you just have to find young guys caught in a numbers game. Pirri fits that very well, both now and when he was moved from Chicago. You just need to find a guy that is caught in a numbers game and is redundant on their team.

The players I'd want the Pens to target for that LW spot are guys like Pirri or Jurco, because neither guy should be expensive to acquire. The Pens just need to be proactive and find these guys before they break out.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think we need more balance in terms of skill set on our top 2 lines.

We've got Sid with basically two net front guys. And when Geno's back, he's got two speedsters who pretty much avoid the front of the net.

Sid couldn't make anything happen off the rush because 14 and 72 just couldn't keep up. That's what why he was pulling up all the time. And once the Rangers defense has time to set up, it's tough to beat Hank.

I tend to agree that this team probably has too many holes to fill to do much this season. I'd rather they find someone who can fill a hole on LW longterm and just give our young D some postseason experience. Bring in better depth than Cole on defense.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
There's no reason for Florida to give us Pirri. He's got 11 goals and is young and cost-controlled. Plus it makes about zero sense to trade an every day player to a team you could easily play in the playoffs a couple months later. It's not impossible, but I'm sure the typical offers for him would be jack and ****.

Honestly why would Florida move anyone? They're in a great spot, the team is quickly growing into their own, and they should be buyers at the deadline if anything.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They're not that expensive, you just have to find young guys caught in a numbers game. Pirri fits that very well, both now and when he was moved from Chicago. You just need to find a guy that is caught in a numbers game and is redundant on their team.

The players I'd want the Pens to target for that LW spot are guys like Pirri or Jurco, because neither guy should be expensive to acquire. The Pens just need to be proactive and find these guys before they break out.

Ah okay I misunderstood what you meant by young and cheap top 6 wingers. You are talking more about higher potential but unproven guys. I'd be cool with that but just know that guy is going to be playing on L3.

Either way, I still think those guys won't be cheap.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think we need more balance in terms of skill set on our top 2 lines.

We've got Sid with basically two net front guys. And when Geno's back, he's got two speedsters who pretty much avoid the front of the net.

Sid couldn't make anything happen off the rush because 14 and 72 just couldn't keep up. That's what why he was pulling up all the time. And once the Rangers defense has time to set up, it's tough to beat Hank.

I tend to agree that this team probably has too many holes to fill to do much this season. I'd rather they find someone who can fill a hole on LW longterm and just give our young D some postseason experience. Bring in better depth than Cole on defense.

It's funny because I think Hagelin/Sid/Kessel makes the most sense but the other line would be composed of guys who don't really seem to work well together so you can't do it. If we had better forwards all around I think the above is easily the first line. Hags can skate with Sid and Kessel can pretty much be ignored unless he feels like getting open, but when he did Sid would find him. All three can play high octane offense.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
There's no reason for Florida to give us Pirri. He's got 11 goals and is young and cost-controlled. Plus it makes about zero sense to trade an every day player to a team you could easily play in the playoffs a couple months later. It's not impossible, but I'm sure the typical offers for him would be jack and ****.

Honestly why would Florida move anyone? They're in a great spot, the team is quickly growing into their own, and they should be buyers at the deadline if anything.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...d-subject-of-trade-rumors-20160122-story.html

Pirri is pretty streaky, and is an RFA after the season. I assume that's why they want to deal him.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

They probably don't need him going forward (he's a year or two away from losing his job to Crouse), but you're right that they have no imminent need to do anything at all to that roster, unless Barkov's out for the year. But if Barkov's out for the year, they're screwed no matter who they add.

I take that back, the cats could use a better backup goaltender, but that's sort of a minor concern.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...d-subject-of-trade-rumors-20160122-story.html

Pirri is pretty streaky, and is an RFA after the season. I assume that's why they want to deal him.

Offseason wouldn't surprise me, but right this second, they don't need to trade him.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Everyone on this board may think they need a top-6 LW, but they don't. I can't see them addressing the top-6 before the draft at the earliest.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Everyone on this board may think they need a top-6 LW, but they don't. I can't see them addressing the top-6 before the draft at the earliest.

They don't as in the Pens don't think they need one? Do they think they need LW depth at all?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Of course they don't need to, and I'd be surprised if they did, but that doesn't mean they won't trade him this season.

They certainly aren't going to trade him for futures during a playoff run so that kind of rules us out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad