Confirmed with Link: Randy Lee to be arraigned in Buffalo court

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I would say that he should have used an Uber, but we know how Melnyk feels about Ubers.

What's the difference between assaulting an Uber driver and assaulting a hotel shuttle driver?

The issue here is the alleged assault, not the type of vehicle he was in if and when he assaulted the person.

If he had allegedly assaulted a steward on a charter plane, does it make any difference? What about a helicopter pilot? Train conductor? Naval captain?

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Coors19

Jul 18, 2011
A higher standard... Which prevents them from taking a hotel shuttle?

No. I'm sorry. This is a terrible take. Players coaches and hockey ops people have been taking hotel shuttles for decades. To think that Randy Lee is the one guy who should have avoided taking a hotel shuttle when there is decades of precedence of people in the league taking hotel shuttles with no incidents at all is preposterous.

I mean, if Randy Lee did anything wrong, it's allegedly assaulting someone. It's not taking a goddamned hotel shuttle.

This is the dumbest argument I've had on this site in months. It's so wrong that I'm shocked that I'm even involved in it in the first place.
I think you are misreading my point. The Hotel Shuttle isn't my point, I've been on many. It's a great service lol It's the situation on the shuttle he put himself in. Anyway, we're both allowed our view on a situation. I just think the Sens should move away from him and start fresh with someone new.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think you are misreading my point. The Hotel Shuttle isn't my point, I've been on many. It's a great service lol It's the situation on the shuttle he put himself in.

Ok, well I don't understand this point.

He either did it, or he didn't do it.

1) If he did it, then he's a scumbag.
2) If he didn't do it, then the only situation he put himself in was as a passenger in a hotel shuttle, which is entirely innocent and not at all "a bad situation to put yourself in".

I don't get why you think that is somehow "a bad situation" to put yourself in. It's not like he was caught in a red light district at 3am hanging out with known criminals or anything. He wasn't caught at a party with drugs, he wasn't arrested at a strip club wearing his underwear like a headband. He just took a hotel shuttle back to his hotel.

Again: if he is guilty, then he deserves to be fired. But if he didn't actually do anything, then simply taking a hotel shuttle is the most innocent thing you could possibly do.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Like I said before if he is found innocent ,then the law must make the accuser liable for damages...To their full extent ....Way too many BS accusers that get off scott free after trashing someone elses life through misuse of the legal system

Yeah, no. This is how you basically stop people from coming forward/going to the police in the first place.

If you intentionally accuse someone of doing something and you have actual knowledge that they didn’t do it (and this can be proven in a court of law according to the applicable burden of proof) then we can have a discussion.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Coors19

Jul 18, 2011
Ok, well I don't understand this point.

He either did it, or he didn't do it.

1) If he did it, then he's a *******.
2) If he didn't do it, then the only situation he put himself in was as a passenger in a hotel shuttle, which is entirely innocent and not at all "a bad situation to put yourself in".

I don't get why you think that is somehow "a bad situation" to put yourself in. It's not like he was caught in a red light district at 3am hanging out with known criminals or anything. He wasn't caught at a party with drugs, he wasn't arrested at a strip club wearing his underwear like a headband. He just took a hotel shuttle back to his hotel.

Again: if he is guilty, then he deserves to be fired. But if he didn't actually do anything, then simply taking a hotel shuttle is the most innocent thing you could possibly do.

Ya i agree, there is nothing wrong with taking the shuttle. But I do think that if he sat in the shuttle and talked hockey that he wouldn't be in court. It's just my opinion but I believe he probably had a buzz on after a few drinks and said or did something he shouldn't have. I don't know what that is but that's the situation i'm talking about.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ya i agree, there is nothing wrong with taking the shuttle. But I do think that if he sat in the shuttle and talked hockey that he wouldn't be in court... but I believe he probably had a buzz on after a few drinks and said or did something he shouldn't have.

So the "situation he put himself in", according to you, was assaulting the guy instead of talking just talking hockey. Which is basically what he's being accused of doing. The "crime" part of what he did was the bad situation he put himself into.

So, if he is found innocent of assaulting the guy, he should still be fired because of "the situation he put himself in" which was assaulting the guy?

So if he's guilty of assaulting the guy, he should be fired. Check.
If he's innocent of assaulting the guy, then he should still be fired for "the position he put himself in", which was assaulting the guy? Which is the thing that, if he's innocent, is a punishment for doing a thing he didn't do?

I honestly don't understand this circular logic.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Doesn't matter. He put himself in that situation. He's apart of an NHL organization that works with young kids. He should be done. He'll forever have this hanging over him

If he is innocent, what situation did he put himself in? Got in to a shuttle to go back to his hotel?

Heck then I am guilty too, because I have been in a hotel shuttle numerous times.

There is the possibility that the accusation are made up by the 19 year old. Lets wait to see what the court says then decide what to do

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah, no. This is how you basically stop people from coming forward/going to the police in the first place.

If you intentionally accuse someone of doing something and you have actual knowledge that they didn’t do it (and this can be proven in a court of law according to the applicable burden of proof) then we can have a discussion.
This is where the crux of the arguement lies though,Randy Lee even if he is found innocent will still have to deal the very real possibilty of him losing the public opinion battle...Which could lead to his losing his job,and ruining his life...The law must be equally as harsh in punishment to prevent this ,which I feel isnt

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
If he acknowledges/did put his hand on the accuser in any shape or form he should be fired

Who the f*** ever has had a need to touch a cab or bus driver ?

Would love to hear his side of the story.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What's the difference between assaulting an Uber driver and assaulting a hotel shuttle driver?

The issue here is the alleged assault, not the type of vehicle he was in if and when he assaulted the person.

If he had allegedly assaulted a steward on a charter plane, does it make any difference? What about a helicopter pilot? Train conductor? Naval captain?

No one should be above the law. :)

Unfortunately some think they are and some others agree with them.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If he is innocent, what situation did he put himself in? Got in to a shuttle to go back to his hotel?

Heck then I am guilty too, because I have been in a hotel shuttle numerous times.

There is the possibility that the accusation are made up by the 19 year old. Lets wait to see what the court says then decide what to do

Not very likely. But I am waiting to see the facts.

It is never a smart or wise decision to rush to judgement. Ottawa U hockey team can attest to that. Too much rushing there by those who should know better.

Former Ottawa varsity hockey players acquitted in sex assault case

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is this significant? It's the same charge on the same crime right? I don't really know anything about law.
I did not get much out of the article but I did not read it too hard. I just posted it because the previous tweet said the article was coming. I think the 2nd charge is more specific from what I am gathering but both carry the same severity legally. It takes some guessing out of what Lee was up to imo.

Reactions: Cosmix and Smeddy

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
When I think about Randy “put himself in that situation” I see it as meaning that a typical shuttle ride doesn’t lead to getting arrested. He put himself in that situation by his actions whatever those actions were. The facts so far are that he was arrested, was in jail for 1 night and now a 2nd charge has been added. Not a good look for a person in power who deals with 18-20yo’s on a daily basis.

Of note, a sexual predator doesn’t just start harassing a random shuttle driver while on a business trip in Buffalo. This is a very scary thing IMO and could become an even worse black eye on the organization than Melnyk himself, especially if it comes to light that he’s done similar things in the past.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
this guy has a name for Lee
images

Reactions: JD1 and aragorn

Emerica

May 29, 2010
When I think about Randy “put himself in that situation” I see it as meaning that a typical shuttle ride doesn’t lead to getting arrested. He put himself in that situation by his actions whatever those actions were. The facts so far are that he was arrested, was in jail for 1 night and now a 2nd charge has been added. Not a good look for a person in power who deals with 18-20yo’s on a daily basis.

Of note, a sexual predator doesn’t just start harassing a random shuttle driver while on a business trip in Buffalo. This is a very scary thing IMO and could become an even worse black eye on the organization than Melnyk himself, especially if it comes to light that he’s done similar things in the past.

This. Yeah I seriously doubt Randy Lee simply took a hotel shuttle and went on his merry way . I can't fathom a grown man falsely accusing another man of harassment just for the heck of it. There has to be something that happened on that bus that triggered this accusation. Whether it'd be shoulder rubs or inappropriate jokes or whatever. Something happened. Maybe I'm just an idiot. What the hell do I know.

Yes there has been precedent in the past of harassment charges against professional athletes, mostly by females, that turned out to be false. But nothing like this that I can remember.

I can totally see your argument @Coors19 and I agree with it. Lee had to do something to trigger the young man to report it to the police. Whether it's worthy of an harassment charge or not remains to be seen.

To me the question is more "Was what Lee did worthy of a harassment charge?" than "Did he do something or not?". I can't see a young man wanting to get into all these strenuous legal proceedings without any reasonable motives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig