Confirmed with Link: Randy Lee to be arraigned in Buffalo court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well the best players on teams don’t usually take low level specialized coaching gigs in the NHL

Just because he wasn’t a great player (he was a bit better than you’re giving him credit for) doesn’t mean he can’t work with the kids.
and doesn't mean he can't teach.. A lot of the time the players that have to work at everything/a lot end up being better teachers/coaches because they had to identify and work on things .. the naturals just do shit they don't know how they do it and can't teach it to you

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Its pretty bonkers that Shean Donovan is pretty much our 2nd in command now. Like I'm fine with him being some development coach but he really shouldn't be making any big decisions as far as personnel go. I guess neither should Dorion but such is life.

Reactions: topshelf15

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
A few players have mentioned him helping them out. He’s not a scout or a front office manager. He’s just a good influence. He is a consummate Pro and can help the younger players learn to balance real life with the game. He has a stable home life and is a great community guy. His skating skills are just incredible. This is the type of local guy that you’d want to surround your younger players with. He’s a valuable resource and the team is lucky that he just happens to live nearby and is interested.
I’m not saying he should replace Randy Lee. I’m saying that in contrast, this is the type of individual you want in your organization to help with young players.
You can say the exact same thing with a ton of former ex NHL players. Remember when Tobias Linberg said that Toronto focuses more on skill training and he never really did that stuff in Ottawa when he was traded? That doesn’t surprise me at all.

Saying he’s local, good in the community and has a stable home life’s doesn’t really mean anything.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But what is Donovan doing to help out the young players? On ice? Off ice? Lifestyle guidance? Does anyone know?

A player development coach is not a specific role depending on the organization. Some NHL teams invest more in skill development, puck skills, possession, passing, shooting skills.. Also skating coaches, power skating, figure skating ... There are a lot of aspects to playing the game .. board play, back checking, open man, systems play... that a development coach can work with players on..It can also just be to run drills, practices, conditioning; assist on the ice. A single player development coach would not be involved in all of these things ..It takes some coordination as well.

Check out this Mike Sullivan video from his days with the Blackhawks.. Doesn't answer your question directly but its pretty good

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Other than Alfredsson, who should be the no brainer but will not be the guy right now, who would be the best choice to be our new Assistant GM, with the hope he'd replace Dorion when that spot becomes open. I like Scott White in the Dallas system, but he most likely would not come here given the success of the Texas Stars. Who is out there?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Other than Alfredsson, who should be the no brainer but will not be the guy right now, who would be the best choice to be our new Assistant GM, with the hope he'd replace Dorion when that spot becomes open. I like Scott White in the Dallas system, but he most likely would not come here given the success of the Texas Stars. Who is out there?

I'd much rather have someone with legit management experience. No slight against Alfredsson, but the Sens have had enough newbies take these positions over the last decade. Time to solidify the foundation of the team. If a former player wants to get into management, there needs to be a long, and well-defined path to get the proper experience behind the scenes first.

Reactions: pzeeman

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Its pretty bonkers that Shean Donovan is pretty much our 2nd in command now. Like I'm fine with him being some development coach but he really shouldn't be making any big decisions as far as personnel go. I guess neither should Dorion but such is life.

Honestly, what do you know about it? What a weird thing to say.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Honestly, what do you know about it? What a weird thing to say.
Why are you so defensive? The guy has a few years now as a "development coach" for the Sens. He has no formal education and no front office experience. Why would you want him making decisions for the team? He seems like a really nice dude but to be honest he seems like a bit of a country bumpkin. Not a lot is going on in that head and I feel like it comes off in his interviews and his on ice play.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Is that a threat? Or what point are you trying to make exactly? What do lawyers have to do with my comment?

Charlie-Day-WTF.gif

How is that a threat in any way?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why are you so defensive? The guy has a few years now as a "development coach" for the Sens. He has no formal education and no front office experience. Why would you want him making decisions for the team? He seems like a really nice dude but to be honest he seems like a bit of a country bumpkin. Not a lot is going on in that head and I feel like it comes off in his interviews and his on ice play.

Idk, most of the posters here seem to think they would make all the right decisions if they were Gm. can't be that hard right? Just like scouting, just give him a pen and a notepad and he'll be fine

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Hey what's wrong with being a country bumpkin... are they somehow inferior to slick city folk?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'd much rather have someone with legit management experience. No slight against Alfredsson, but the Sens have had enough newbies take these positions over the last decade. Time to solidify the foundation of the team. If a former player wants to get into management, there needs to be a long, and well-defined path to get the proper experience behind the scenes first.
I would make Alfie president,and have him act as a liason between the GM and the owners

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Why does Randy Lee still have a job? And why is there no one in the local or National media asking this very question?

Because it's male on male that's why. If this was a 19 year old female, shit would hit the fan.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If he's acquitted, or charged, either way this will continue to be what comes to mind about RL for the rest of his time with the organization .......... so it's probably best that he is shown the door, or asked to walk out of it, on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad