Speculation: Randy Carlyle

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We built for Carlyle, I am sure Clarkson was a Carlyle signing so if that flops and how he manages players fails and we miss the playoffs you have to fire him. You can not go back.

Carlyle is KNOWN to have issues with some players. Some players flat out would rather move to another team than play for him, that's bad.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Leafs in a funk, missing all our talent down the middle and some fans are ready to fire the coach who gave us playoffs for the first time in almost a decade, in his FIRST season as our coach. ( garbage time cleaning up for that loser doesn't count)

in 82 games teams have ups and downs, be patient and see how the season plays out, if we are sitting in the basement then maybe consider a new coach....with the divisions and playoff format most people knew it was gonna be tough.

Very sensible outlook.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Comments calling Carlye to be fired are pathetic. I bet they are all youngsters who had never watched the team under the coaching after the Quinn era(Maurice, Wilson).

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Comments calling Carlye to be fired are pathetic. I bet they are all youngsters who had never watched the team under the coaching after the Quinn era(Maurice, Wilson).

If he doesn't make the playoffs he should be fired.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
We have a winning record, and now have injuries mounting to important players...and you want to fire the coach? I see the bandwagoners are ready to jump.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
there's a reason why Anaheim fired Mike Babcock too.

again:
can someone please name at least ONE COACH out there who could possibly take over. a serious, legitmate question. You can't just be all "fire Carlyle, Carlyle sucks" and then leave it there. Who'd you replace him with.

i agree 100%. the season has just begun, we made the playoffs for the first time since the lockout last year and we actually have a cup winning coach. we are also in the upper part of the standings IN a playoff spot with a similar core to what wilson had (except jvr i believe).

do i agree with everything rc is doing (why is phaneuf instead of gardiner carrying the puck on the pp, unlike the playoffs, or why doesn't he let one goalie run)? nope. but people have short memories because the complaints were much higher with ron wilson.

the goaltending IS amazing, but carlyle's style is also to allow garbage shots. there is a reason our pk is rated so high and our pp while we're talking about special teams.

btw, i would have hired hitchcock when wilson was fired (not in hindsight; i was wondering at the time why the rest of the nhl wouldn't hire a team canada and stanley cup winning coach). it was a no brainer to me.

while i like ted nolan, the resume would have to have a cup win for me to coach the leafs. i suppose bowman would have come out of retirement for the challenge of coaching the leafs; i would seriously consider it.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
That Anaheim team had a #1C in McDonald, a very high depth scoring line, and two elite defenceman. One (Pronger) was a generational talent, in fact.

The Penner - Getzlaf - Perry line are quite productive even when they're not producing. It's a very mean line with three PWF. I doubt we'll get that, but I think Kessel would flourish with another JVR that can play in the middle well.

i agree with all of it except pronger being a generational talent. niedermeyer is closer to one. also, pronger was playing when guys like borque and stevens (who are generation talents) were playing and chara is playing now.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011

Fans in Edmonton already want Eakins fired and it's only been like 20 games lol.

Once we have all our centers back we will be fine

leafstilldeath*

Carlyle is very stubborn. And stubbornness is one thing however stupid stubbornness is something else.

Examples:

- Playing Kostka/Holzer with Phaneuf for extended time even though that/those pairing sucked

-Playing Bozak on the 1st unit PP even though Bozak is useless and is an offensive black hole with "zero" offensive awareness and offensive skills.

- Putting down Grabo, using Grabo in a checking role when Grabo is most suited to play offensive role being an offensive minded player. It is almost like asking Stamkos, Crosby, Staal etc...to play checking "C" roles because there are good wingers available so we will put a "plug" C between them. Guess what he ran out Grabo, and then Colborne (its not like Colborne is a plug, he played very well against Boston in the playoffs).

- Almost running Gardiner out of town. Gardiner's offensive game has taken a BIG HIT because of the **** system being employed by the coaching staff where breakouts are non-existent, defensive zone coverage sucks and offensive zone time is next to nothing. I feel very bad for Gardiner.

- Liles, although an extra D, is much better than Ranger, Gunnarson and Fraser overall as a NHL D-man. However, Liles sits in the pressbox or plays in the AHL :facepalm:

- Persisting with JVR as a 1C even though first line has not generated any offense BUT giving Kadri only 2 games as a C? Why did Carlyle did not persist with Kadri as a C for longer between JVR and Kessel? If it did not work why not break JVR-Kessel pair and run with Lupul-Kadri-Kessel? Why is he afraid to shake lines up?

I was frustrated with Ron Wilson as a coach, however, I would agree with what Burke said when Burkie fired Wilson. It was Burke's fault for not giving Wilson a better team to coach. Our team under Wilson was CRAP and when Reimer was injured the 18 wheeler gained some serious momentum with Monster crapping the bed between the pipes.

Carlyle has a much BETTER team compared to what Wilson had. I wonder what Wilson would have done with this team. We can crap on Wilson all we want but he does have 2nd most NHL wins as a coach. That said, I didn't like what Wilson did with Kadri.

Carlyle's BS is starting to get on my nerves. If it wasn't for SOLID goal-tending we have got this club would have folded.

Bottom line: If we do not make playoffs this year. Carlyle should be FIRED!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Typical overreaction. Carlyle cannot control injuries to his top 2 centres, and Kadri being suspended. No coach would be able to keep winning playing 4th liners and AHL'ers at Center.

DaveT83*

Are we talking about Ron Wilson?

"Look at his winning record"
"Name one guy that is a better coach then Ron Wilson"
"This team is built for him - must be patient"

Change the record boys. Its really, really old.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad