Speculation: Randy Carlyle

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Mapleleafs Fan*, Oct 22, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. I don't even know why I started this but I was watching Game day skate and just heard Getzlaf saying that Randy was a bit harder on us when we were young and I couldn't do much as I wanted to, when he was asked how was it being trained under Randy Carlyle.

So is the reason for our D for being so terrible?

If you guys think this thread is just a waste I would like to shut it down.

gameday skate

2. Mr Scarface*

Mr Scarface* Guest

Well now this a pretty easy topic for myself being a former player and all etc.
    Of course you can expect this from a hard ass guy like Randy Carlyle. If a man is a real original hard ass he will tell things to others. He loves the game so much that everytime he opens his mouth he wants to give something back.

3. Diatomic

Diatomic Mitch Matthewlander

Student
    No Carlyle said in multiple interviews that he's changed his Coaching style over the years and is taking a more personal approach to players. He let the players fool around and play ball hockey before practice instead of a bagged skate yesterday a day after their loss to Chicago.

4. There was an article published within last 3 days saying how Carlyle has softened up since his Anaheim days.

5. TootooTrain

TootooTrain Southern Hospitality

Pretty much. He can still bark their heads off, but it's pretty obvious he leaves it as a last case scenario these days.

6. jmart21

jmart21 MISC!!!

Why is nothing ever on the players around here?

(except Bozak of course)

7. phg

phg Registered User

Style can only help so much. Perhaps this is somewhat off topic, but, notwithstanding their win loss record this year, their overall play has been terrible! Whatever the coaching style, it's NOT working!

8. zeke

zeke #freeVladdy

I like this thread.

I think there's a chance Randy may have swung too far over the other way to being a nice guy instead of a hardass. This team could use a little more of that hardass approach.

Didn't love that they came out for a ball-hockey game the practice after failing against the hawks.

9. LeafOfBread

LeafOfBread Registered User

Wanna share? I'd like to read that

10. Ari91

Ari91 Registered User

There were several articles all a bit different but saying the same thing. Here's one of them:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/10/21/maple_leafs_coach_randy_carlyles_morale_booster_ball_hockey_at_practice.html

There's a video and a write-up. I can't tell if it's Bernier or Reimer or who the player was but at the end of the video, the goalie stick got stuck in the player's skate and as he kept moving, he was dragging the goalie behind him...guess he didn't think to let go of his goalie stick :laugh:

They also talked to Lupul after the practice and he said that Carlyle has changed quite a bit. He said that Carlyle still expects the same out of his players but the way he goes about it is different.

11. Eddy Punch Clock

Eddy Punch Clock Jack Adams 2028

Well at least thats better than Buffalo's "dance off" the day after a shutout loss at home.

12. Ari91

Ari91 Registered User

It's not like they spent the entire practice playing ball hockey instead. It was like a 10 minute ball hockey game and then it was practice as usual.

13. TMLife*

TMLife* Auston Matthews

If these guys aren't having fun they will go to a team that at least from the outside looks like they're having fun. No one wants to show up to work and have their faces screamed off all day everyday, thats a fact.

14. Raptactics29

Raptactics29 Registered User

As a coach, being adaptable and realizing how to handle the team you have is very important. With a young team I'd assume you're going to want to be a teacher that demands accountability to your teams, as well as your responsibilities both on and off the ice. With a veteran filled team, I'd assume being a players first type who still demands accountability but grants freedoms to those who've been doing this job for a long time, of course as long as they're doing their job as hard as they possibly can. Perhaps Carlyle's changed his approach because he's coaching in a market that's pressure filled enough? Playing in Toronto is something that can crush a young and/or inexperienced player so being a fun, easy going coach likely helps ease the tension, takes some of the pressure that's associated with this market off of the guys, and endears you to your team with the hopes that when you do need to demand something out of your guys the foundation's already laid for easy acceptance of what the coach is asking of the players/team.

15. Antropovsky

Antropovsky Registered User

Bodie and lupul both said that caryle hasn't changed all that much since Anaheim. That's what Im sure i read recently anyhow.

16. AuraSphere

AuraSphere Registered User

Carlyle is the type of coach that can only coach veterans. All our young players like Gardiner, Kadri, and such seem to struggle under his wing (ok maybe not kadri). IDK, but I saw this coming, it's why I wanted Dallas Eakins QQ

17. hockeyes

hockeyes Registered User

Isn't Dallas known for riding his best players more than most, essentially the worst situation for anyone not already at the top? Not sure how that would help develop if we just played the top 2 lines and top 2 pairings more.

18. zeke

zeke #freeVladdy

actually just read somewhere Lupul talking about how different randy was here, how he does stuff like come into the dressing room and joke around with the guys in off time, which he'd never do before.

19. zeke

zeke #freeVladdy

dunno about that.

Kadri, JVR, Franson, Rielly, Reims, Bernier seem to have excelled under Randy's watch.

20. Leafs87

Leafs87 Mr. Steal Your Job

Does he mean when they won a cup? Or when Getzlaf and Perry enjoyed their best personal seasons ?

21. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    I think we need some more Anaheim Randy...

22. BlueMapleDawg

BlueMapleDawg Registered User

He's awful. Two f***ing shots on goal this period. That includes a PP.
    Half of them were from center ice.

Fire Carlyle.

23. Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane everything is gonna be okay!

boy - can't we put a flyer on this until things are horrendously bad?

24. Tyler Biggs*

Tyler Biggs* Guest

As long as Randy can get the boys playing defensive zone coverage - forecheck and back check - the rest will fall into place.

GO-LEAFS-GO....7 and 3 season would look nice tomorrow morning.