Speculation: Randy Carlyle

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The stubborness with the JVR experiment is annoying me. Remember his other genius ideas like putting Holzer and Kostka out there with Phaneuf for way too many games?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wish when people are all "give him the axe" you'd at least give some viable options for replacement.

goguls

Feb 8, 2009
Markham, ON
The stubborness with the JVR experiment is annoying me. Remember his other genius ideas like putting Holzer and Kostka out there with Phaneuf for way too many games?

Agreed. I liked the experiment, I'm willing to try it for one or two more games max until Kadri returns. But you're right it doesn't seem like its working.
I really liked McClement's game today.

Lupul - McClement/Kadri - Kessel
JVR - McClement/Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Smith - Kulemin
Orr - Smithson - McClaren

I'd roll with that when Kadri's suspension is over. But until then I think we're going to have to use one of our wingers to play in the middle.

Mar 26, 2010
There was a reason that Anaheim fired him. Don't like him as the coach for the Leafs at all and, NOW that the loses are piling up and the Leafs are slipping out of a playoff spot, it does not look good. The team is outclassed every game now. Its a joke.

His style really is not working, it has yielded the lowest amount of shots out of all 30 teams, lowest puck possession and it seems that the players are stopping to play for him.

Let see where the Leafs are after half the season is played and if they are out of a playoff spot and the players have officially stopped playing for him, then make a change. No need for another 4 year failure Ron Wilson Experiment.

At the end of the day, I believe that the new owners want to win and will make a change if they are not getting the results they want.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
There was a reason that Anaheim fired him. Don't like him as the coach for the Leafs at all and, NOW that the loses are piling up and the Leafs are slipping out of a playoff spot, it does not look good. The team is outclassed every game now. Its a joke.

His style really is not working, it has yielded the lowest amount of shots out of all 30 team, lowest puck possession and it seems that the players are stopping to play for him.

Let see where the Leafs are after half the season is played and if they are out of a playoff spot and the players have officially stopped playing for him, then make a change. No need for another 4 year failure Ron Wilson Experiment.

At the end of the day, I believe that the new owners want to win and will make a change if they are not getting the results they want.

there's a reason why Anaheim fired Mike Babcock too.

again:
can someone please name at least ONE COACH out there who could possibly take over. a serious, legitmate question. You can't just be all "fire Carlyle, Carlyle sucks" and then leave it there. Who'd you replace him with.

thunderhawk905*

Until we're a losing hockey team (record wise) the thought of firing RC right now is ABSURD.

Coaching a team without it's top #2 C's and with all the injuries (suspensions) we've sustained this year, piled on with the pressure from Toronto media and the...fans, he is not in an easy position.

If we become a healthy hockey club again for any decent amount of time and these issues with RC are nagging, then I can understand a reason for a change.

Mapleleafs Fan*

Firing Carlyle is not an option till we find a new coach. I wanted to see him doing something for our current situation. I hate to see guys out there on different lines all the time. These are the things that you try on practice and find a line for the game. It's not like we have tons of matches in one week and not enough time for practice. We have had a really good time for practicing last 2 weeks.

Mapleleafs Fan*

He should teach something more than a board game. I looked at Smith's game today and others'. Smith wasn't pushing the puck in the corners. He was trying to find some ice and shoot and was successful. Carlyle has to change his strategy.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Does the coach in Grand Rapids have anything to do with how they are playing or are the Wings prospects just that good?

McCollum is a NHL calibre back up goalie

Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Jurco and Teemu Pulkinen have outgrown the AHL, plus they got some NHL vets like Eaves and Tootoo

Their roster should have them as a top 5 team which is pretty much what they are.

imo we need to call up Abbott and give him a chance. He had 17 assists in 12 games, that's crazy. The next highest are a couple at an assist per game, then it drops off.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Here are some available candidates:
- Maurice
- Wilson
- Quinn
- Laviolette
- Boucher
- Keenan
- Robinson (Larry)
- Gordon (Scott)
- Renney
- Troy Ward

Those are the pickings right now and I highly doubt Wilson comes back so scratch him off the list.

Mar 26, 2010

again:
can someone please name at least ONE COACH out there who could possibly take over. a serious, legitmate question. You can't just be all "fire Carlyle, Carlyle sucks" and then leave it there. Who'd you replace him with.

Agreed, there has to be a replacement before removing him. As far as who that will be... is not determined yet. How about Rob Ford (just kidding :laugh:). In all seriousness, Nonis and the new owners better start looking. I think this is about to get messy.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Carlyle needs to be a hardass again.

This team is playing like their brain dead and he wants them to focus on the positives. Hint: THERE ARE NO POSITIVES IF YOUR BRAIN DEAD!!!!!

This guy needs to go into that locker room and actually hold players accountable for their horrible on ice play. Instead of bullying Kadri and giving him less ice time/demoting him every game he should start looking at players that are playing like crap and give them a hard time.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think we need some more Anaheim Randy...
That Anaheim team had a #1C in McDonald, a very high depth scoring line, and two elite defenceman. One (Pronger) was a generational talent, in fact.

The Penner - Getzlaf - Perry line are quite productive even when they're not producing. It's a very mean line with three PWF. I doubt we'll get that, but I think Kessel would flourish with another JVR that can play in the middle well.

Mar 26, 2010
Instead of bullying Kadri and giving him less ice time/demoting him every game he should start looking at players that are playing like crap and give them a hard time.[/QUOTE]

I have also noticed that Kadri has become Carlyle's whipping boy. I think most people have.

He needs to start looking at the other suspects that are not contributing. He should start with his captain.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
He needs to start looking at the other suspects that are not contributing. He should start with his captain.[/QUOTE]

I agree Carlyle plays favourites and has his whipping boys too, and yea he should hold everyone to the same standard. That being said what's your beef with Dion? He's playing lights out, shutting down the top scorers, playing on the PK, contributing on the powerplay, just because he's not that 60pt guy he was when he broke into the league doesn't mean he's playing bad hockey.

Mar 26, 2010
[/QUOTE]

I agree Carlyle plays favourites and has his whipping boys too, and yea he should hold everyone to the same standard. That being said what's your beef with Dion? He's playing lights out, shutting down the top scorers, playing on the PK, contributing on the powerplay, just because he's not that 60pt guy he was when he broke into the league doesn't mean he's playing bad hockey.[/QUOTE]

I don't have an issue with Dion, I just don't feel he warrants $7M/season. @ $4-5M I am happy to have him.

MilanLucic

Apr 27, 2009

again:

Babcock was never fired in Anaheim.

mikebel111*

I agree Carlyle plays favourites and has his whipping boys too, and yea he should hold everyone to the same standard. That being said what's your beef with Dion? He's playing lights out, shutting down the top scorers, playing on the PK, contributing on the powerplay, just because he's not that 60pt guy he was when he broke into the league doesn't mean he's playing bad hockey.[/QUOTE]

I don't have an issue with Dion, I just don't feel he warrants $7M/season. @ $4-5M I am happy to have him.[/QUOTE]

When he whipped kadri? Quit making things up. Kadri wasnt playing well so he dropped his ice time.
Randy likes kadri a lot. U always rip the leafs. Ur not a fan

Ur trying to make us worse by giving dion less money than he deserves. The guy is a number 1 d man

mikebel111*

Carlyle needs to be a hardass again.

This team is playing like their brain dead and he wants them to focus on the positives. Hint: THERE ARE NO POSITIVES IF YOUR BRAIN DEAD!!!!!

This guy needs to go into that locker room and actually hold players accountable for their horrible on ice play. Instead of bullying Kadri and giving him less ice time/demoting him every game he should start looking at players that are playing like crap and give them a hard time.

What a terrible last paragraph. He never bullied him. Kadri wasnt performing so he dropped his ice time.
Plus kadri was playing on the PK so randy was rewarding him.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't have an issue with Dion, I just don't feel he warrants $7M/season. @ $4-5M I am happy to have him.

Since when does Carlyle sign Dion's contracts and write his paycheques? As long as he is adequately performing the responsibilities handed to him by the head coach, I see no reason why his contract should be brought up in a discussion about who said coach holds accountable.

Derek Synak

Mar 14, 2009
Mistake by the Lake
Leafs in a funk, missing all our talent down the middle and some fans are ready to fire the coach who gave us playoffs for the first time in almost a decade, in his FIRST season as our coach. ( garbage time cleaning up for that loser doesn't count)

in 82 games teams have ups and downs, be patient and see how the season plays out, if we are sitting in the basement then maybe consider a new coach....with the divisions and playoff format most people knew it was gonna be tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad