Speculation: Randy Carlyle

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Interesting hearing how he dealt with the team in the first intermission.

While all the talking heads were thinking he must have yelled and screamed at them, he said he did the exact opposite. Just tried to get the to calm down and relax.

seemed to work.

Tyler Biggs*

This is Carlyle's first full year with the team give them both sometime to implicate a system....Rome wasn't built in a day.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
I wouldn't judge the team's play too much until they get Clarkson, Fraser, Kulemin and McLaren back. That's a hell of a lot of truculence to put on the shoulders of guys like Leivo and Ashton; plus it'll take Clarkson at least a few games to get in his groove. And on most nights the Leafs have 2 D who are still getting their feet wet (Ranger/Rielly), and the "defensive offenseman" Gardiner. That's half the defense still (re)learning the game. The top 9 and goaltending are fantastic so far.

nc

Jul 25, 2010
I was watching the game between Ottawa and Detroit today and the announcers (TSN broadcast) started talking about one of detroits young defenders, might have been Dekeyser they were talking about but I don't remember. Anyways they asked Babcock about the player and his up and down play thus far this season. Babcock basically replied by saying that it was expected for young players to be inconsistent in their play and that it wasn't a big deal for him to make the odd bad play.

That comment really got me thinking about the leafs. I think as leafs fans we sometimes forget exactly how young this current team is. We don't have the veteran players like datsyuk or zetterberg to settle the team when times are tough. The oldest "veteran" players we have are Lupul and mcclement who are both just 30 years old. So in reality we shouldn't be surprised by the team's up and down play through out the season.

Since his arrival I think Carlyle has done a really good job with the team. He has manged to turn a bottom feeder team without an identity, into one of the top teams in the east with a tough to play against reputation.

So far this season the team has the 2nd best power play and the 5th best penalty kill in the league. Sure they haven't been the best defensively but that's expected out of such a young team that's still figuring things out. And the addition of Clarkson, kulemin, Fraser and even mcleren will definitely help the team settle down defensively too.

I'm glad Carlyle is coaching the team. I don't think many coaches would've had the same success as he has had.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I don't even know why I started this but I was watching Game day skate and just heard Getzlaf saying that Randy was a bit harder on us when we were young and I couldn't do much as I wanted to, when he was asked how was it being trained under Randy Carlyle.

So is the reason for our D for being so terrible?

If you guys think this thread is just a waste I would like to shut it down.

gameday skate

They won a cup. Getzlaf became an elite player under Carlyle. Call in tough love as you may but a coach is hired to coach, and not to be the most likeable guy out there.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Carlyle is the type of coach that can only coach veterans. All our young players like Gardiner, Kadri, and such seem to struggle under his wing (ok maybe not kadri). IDK, but I saw this coming, it's why I wanted Dallas Eakins QQ

Because Dallas is doing such a GREAT job in Edmonton:sarcasm:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Carlyle is the type of coach that can only coach veterans. All our young players like Gardiner, Kadri, and such seem to struggle under his wing (ok maybe not kadri). IDK, but I saw this coming, it's why I wanted Dallas Eakins QQ

Saw what coming? Leafs making the playoffs for the first time in 10 years, and continuing to be top in the conference the first 10 games so far the following season?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The biggest improvement I noticed with Carlyle is that there are no losing streaks. Where the Leafs would lose 5, 6, 7 games in a row sometimes with Wilson, I think there was only once last season where the Leafs lost 3 in a row, it was a 4 game stretch with a shoot-out loss in there. Overall a team that overcomes adversity well.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Because Dallas is doing such a GREAT job in Edmonton:sarcasm:

apparently Dallas has got that team already up to playing like a JrA team, which is a far cry better then the Midget AA team they were playing like, at least according to Michel Terrier and chanelled through the not so bright Lars Eller.

BTW Fire Carlyle, he's gone soft:sarcasm:

ThePacific

Sep 17, 2013
Carlyle's doing a great job, I like where this team is going. Will he make mistakes? Yes, same with our players, but overall the teams improving slowly game by game. I do think he's gotten a bit soft though, but if its working out to benefit the team, sure why not. The only thing I do miss is the hard hitting leafs we had last year.

TML 13

Oct 19, 2013
The biggest improvement I noticed with Carlyle is that there are no losing streaks. Where the Leafs would lose 5, 6, 7 games in a row sometimes with Wilson, I think there was only once last season where the Leafs lost 3 in a row, it was a 4 game stretch with a shoot-out loss in there. Overall a team that overcomes adversity well.

Very true. How some posters wish for Carlyle to be fired is beyond me. They must miss the losing streaks under Wilson

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Very true. How some posters wish for Carlyle to be fired is beyond me. They must miss the losing streaks under Wilson

I suspect some kind of weird fantasy where MLSE will decide to choose Carlyle's replacement from people on message boards who were able to see what he was doing wrong. :sarcasm:

Tyler Biggs*

A nice gesture by Carlyle, giving the team a day off practice to play some soccer the other day. I'll bet he was in a good mood beating his former team....Class act.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Carlyle's doing a great job, I like where this team is going. Will he make mistakes? Yes, same with our players, but overall the teams improving slowly game by game. I do think he's gotten a bit soft though, but if its working out to benefit the team, sure why not. The only thing I do miss is the hard hitting leafs we had last year.

You can see the impact he can have on a game..

The Leafs were playing an awful game against the Ducks mustering but 3 shots on net in 25 minutes but apparently what he said in the dressing room between periods had the desired effect as Leafs 2nd half the game was an entirely different outcome.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I like this thread.

I think there's a chance Randy may have swung too far over the other way to being a nice guy instead of a hardass. This team could use a little more of that hardass approach.

Didn't love that they came out for a ball-hockey game the practice after failing against the hawks.
lol

come on. what difference is that going to make.

you guys make me laugh

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What ever Randy is doing, he is doing it well...7-3 is great. We are playing with several AHL player in the game each night as well as a lot of new faces trying to learn the system.

Our low shots for the last several games is a result of us trying to learn and implement the system and we have been concentrating on doing this better.

I for one see improvement within our own zone in several areas.....our forwards are not cheating to the blueline as much in our own zone and centers are stopping and go rather then circling a lot more. It also seems that our D man are all starting to be on the same page. Gardinar is playing below the puck in our zone far more then ever before.

The Leafs look like when we get healthy that we have a team with lots of depth that can play many different styles and be successful.

Dion is playing his best hockey under Carlyle and that is not a coincidence. You no longer hear about his lack of leadership in the papers etc as that has been cleaned up. Players seem to be playing hard for each other and are seen laughing on the bench along with Carlyle.....

Carlyle should win the Jack Adams this year...but will not!

I credit Burke for bringing in the right Coach at the right time as we needed someone to come in and provide Leadership and to teach us how to be a team. Leadership was a huge issue that seems to have been corrected and the credit for this goes to Carlyle as he has his own ideas about how team leadership is used.

Tyler Biggs*

I believe I mentioned this before, that I was surprised Carlyle did not bench Gardiner for repeated mistakes. Who said that Carlyle is not patient with his young players??

Mapleleafs Fan*

Bringing this one up too. Should RC give Rielly more chances to play? Should he stop mixing up the lines so often? Let the debate begin.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
if the leafs are below .500 after game 41, make a change. december is going to be bad month for this squad.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
He's got an excuse right now because of injuries and suspensions, but he's made many questionable decisions in his time here, regardless of his winning record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad