Random Car Chat

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Don’t think this would really warrant a new thread, but what causes an AC compressor to stop working?

my fiancée traded her 2007 Nissan Rogue for a newer 2017 Rogue two years ago and the AC compressor kicked two week ago. Debating on either spending the 650 to fix it or waiting for next year.

not trying to be political on this point, but I compared four different mechanics and they all complained that car parts will/are going up due to the current market of inflation.

Yes, certain parts are hard to come by. I had an alternator rebuild recently because it was gonna take way too much time and money to get a new one in. I've seen radiator lead times over 6 weeks recently

650 seems a little steep for an ac compressor, but half of it could be labor, and the quote might be including genuine Nissan parts rather than an Autozone/Advance brand. Not to mention the belt replacement cost, which is pretty cheap but if it's caked into the 650...it all adds up. I don't know much about Nissans but some compressors can be a pain in the ass to get to

4 years isn't very long on that part though. It should go several years more, at least.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Yes, certain parts are hard to come by. I had an alternator rebuild recently because it was gonna take way too much time and money to get a new one in. I've seen radiator lead times over 6 weeks recently

650 seems a little steep for an ac compressor, but half of it could be labor, and the quote might be including genuine Nissan parts rather than an Autozone/Advance brand. Not to mention the belt replacement cost, which is pretty cheap but if it's caked into the 650...it all adds up. I don't know much about Nissans but some compressors can be a pain in the ass to get to

4 years isn't very long on that part though. It should go several years more, at least.
My rigs got a second belt just for the a/c. I found it all shredded one day and thought hmmm... there's a good reason it doesn't work lol

Reactions: TD Charlie

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
TBH, I like the idea of cars, but I hate driving. I don't find driving that enjoyable, and I don't know how people do...I want to get between A and B, and don't like the time in-between, as I it takes away from my destination.

Also a couple weeks ago, I bought new run flats for my Z4. ~$1100, but I could feel a difference...so good? (the reason I got new tires, is because they were old (~11 years). A flat I could deal with, a blow out, no thanks.

Reactions: Winger98

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Thanks for the story! I’m on my 4th Subie now. Had an STI sedan for a while but when I moved to WA I needed something bigger to fit my lifestyle. So I got a 5 speed Foz. Now I’m on a CVT Foz and it’s alright, not as fun or engaging but man, I’ve take both my Foresters everywhere and thrown everything from snow, mud, sand they just eat it up. Of course I had them both fitted with off-road tires and the current one has a lift. But alas, yeah I’m itching to go back to an STI or WRX. I need a manual bad. I’d be interested in one of the older hatches for sure. That plus an old school JDM Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol or Mitsubishi Pajero as my beater rig and I’d be set lol

You went from a WRX STI to a CVT Forester? I fell your pain, buddy.

I recently drove a 2020 WRX; base model, not STI. I am seriously considering one of my own.

Reactions: TD Charlie

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I've actually been wondering about my rigs true mileage. I know it has over sized tires and the speedo is always lower then what im actually doing. Is there a way to calculate this?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
TBH, I like the idea of cars, but I hate driving. I don't find driving that enjoyable, and I don't know how people do...I want to get between A and B, and don't like the time in-between, as I it takes away from my destination.

Also a couple weeks ago, I bought new run flats for my Z4. ~$1100, but I could feel a difference...so good? (the reason I got new tires, is because they were old (~11 years). A flat I could deal with, a blow out, no thanks.

Really weird you'd drive a sports car made by a company that bills itself as the ultimate driver's car maker if you don't actually enjoy driving. One would think run-flats would make the ride rougher and degrade the driving experience even more for you.

I've actually been wondering about my rigs true mileage. I know it has over sized tires and the speedo is always lower then what im actually doing. Is there a way to calculate this?

How would you even go about doing that? Unless you kept a record of everywhere you've gone in it, I don't see how that's even possible.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think you'd have to have some idea of the mileage when you started using oversized tires and that those tires would have had to have been consistently oversized since. If you've used all sorts of different sizes I think you're just out of luck. But if you know the first thing and the second has been consistent...google map a route to get the exact mileage and then drive it yourself. Do this a few times to give yourself a decent set of numbers to work with. So, let's do five trips.

tripsGoogle MileageYour Mileage
Total221132.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So, the theoretical mileage you record is .6 of the actual mileage. So, let's say your car started with 30k miles when you started using oversized tires. It now has 150k miles. So take the 120k and divide it by .6 for 200K miles. That should be how many actual miles you've put on the car with the oversized tires if I've done this right.

You can do something similar if you're just trying to figure out your speed. Google map a trip, drive it at a consistent speed and start doing math for how long it should have took you at the speed your car is saying you drove versus the amount of time it actually took and it should give you a rough idea. I mean, if you take thirty minutes to go thirty miles, boom. 60 mph. If you really wanted to you could do the math and make up a custom face to overlay the speedo in the dash. That sounds like a ton of work, though. If you really want to know, I'd just try to find a couple of benchmarks to go by (like 30 and 55), maybe mark in sharpie, and just guestimate the rest as best you can as you drive around.

Yeah, driving just becomes a bigger chore as I get older. The whole self-driving car thing can't come soon enough in many respects.

Last edited:
Reactions: HansonBro

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Really weird you'd drive a sports car made by a company that bills itself as the ultimate driver's car maker if you don't actually enjoy driving. One would think run-flats would make the ride rougher and degrade the driving experience even more for you.

How would you even go about doing that? Unless you kept a record of everywhere you've gone in it, I don't see how that's even possible.
Well I'm just about at 260,000km. If my tires are 10% bigger do i just add 10% to the mileage? Lmao I dont know

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I think you'd have to have some idea of the mileage when you started using oversized tires and that those tires would have had to have been consistently oversized since. If you've used all sorts of different sizes I think you're just out of luck. But if you know the first thing and the second has been consistent...google map a route to get the exact mileage and then drive it yourself. Do this a few times to give yourself a decent set of numbers to work with. So, let's do five trips.

tripsGoogle MileageYour Mileage
Total221132.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So, the theoretical mileage you record is .6 of the actual mileage. So, let's say your car started with 30k miles when you started using oversized tires. It now has 150k miles. So take the 120k and divide it by .6 for 200K miles. That should be how many actual miles you've put on the car with the oversized tires if I've done this right.

You can do something similar if you're just trying to figure out your speed. Google map a trip, drive it at a consistent speed and start doing math for how long it should have took you at the speed your car is saying you drove versus the amount of time it actually took and it should give you a rough idea. I mean, if you take third minutes to go thirty miles, boom. 60 mph. If you really wanted to you could do the math and make up a custom face to overlay the speedo in the dash. That sounds like a ton of work, though. If you really want to know, I'd just try to find a couple of benchmarks to go by (like 30 and 55), maybe mark in sharpie, and just guestimate the rest as best you can as you drive around.

Yeah, driving just becomes a bigger chore as I get older. The whole self-driving car thing can't come soon enough in many respects.
Lol, bro im literally here just thinking about it and you post this

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
You went from a WRX STI to a CVT Forester? I fell your pain, buddy.

I recently drove a 2020 WRX; base model, not STI. I am seriously considering one of my own.
I’d wait, the next gen WRX is being reveled September 10th. Obviously more power and I believe it’s getting a new engine as well. Might be worth just seeing what it’s all about. The STI will be revealed later this year I think.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Lol, bro im literally here just thinking about it and you post this

I thought it sounded like a fun thing to think through, and I'm not entirely sure I'm right with my method there. But it feels right. With tire sizes, I'm not sure you can do a straight conversion. I mean, there has to be some sort of link between the amount of times the tire rotates as you go down the road vs how quickly the speedometer spins over but I'm not sure it transfers as a straight % when you change the tire size.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I’d wait, the next gen WRX is being reveled September 10th. Obviously more power and I believe it’s getting a new engine as well. Might be worth just seeing what it’s all about. The STI will be revealed later this year I think.

The STI version is getting a new engine I think, that one is actually older than the 2.0 in the base model I believe. I wonder if dealers will be interested in letting the existing STI models go for cheaper once the new ones come out?

The best fit for me would arguably be the 2022 Golf R, but that's apparently going to start in the mid-$40K range and while I can afford that, it's not the best use of my money.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
The STI version is getting a new engine I think, that one is actually older than the 2.0 in the base model I believe. I wonder if dealers will be interested in letting the existing STI models go for cheaper once the new ones come out?

The best fit for me would arguably be the 2022 Golf R, but that's apparently going to start in the mid-$40K range and while I can afford that, it's not the best use of my money.
It’ll be the 2.4 in the Ascent.
Saw a review of the new MK8 and it seems like a nightmare because it’s fully touchscreen to control everything and it’s a wonky laggy interface, so it’s frustrating. Plus I’ve never been a VW fan, reliability issues up the ying yang and not cheap to fix.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
It’ll be the 2.4 in the Ascent.
Saw a review of the new MK8 and it seems like a nightmare because it’s fully touchscreen to control everything and it’s a wonky laggy interface, so it’s frustrating. Plus I’ve never been a VW fan, reliability issues up the ying yang and not cheap to fix.

I could use the extra space in the Golf R. However, I'm not going to get one anyways so it's beside the point.

Maybe I'll look into a used WRX.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Yeah I’ve definitely been eyeing a hatch. But they hold their value lol specially now with this crazy market. Good luck to you in your search!

You as well.

May you be freed from the prison that is a CVT transmission.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Anyone driven a Kia Stinger GT? They seem pretty reasonably priced (esp used) vs say an Audi s5 of similar size/performance. Very well reviewed, too.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

ty...
addressed something i was worried about in that he said it's not as stiff a ride as his older c63 AMG. Kind of one of the things i'm wary about in larger cars in general--a little too comfy means a sacrifice in handling at speed. Worried about it with an s5 too...

doubt very much a kia person would let me drive 120-150 on a test drive but my current car is rock solid at that speed. maybe better off sticking with a smaller sports sedan. or maybe i can stuff my children into the back of a used 911 4s for that money.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
ty...
addressed something i was worried about in that he said it's not as stiff a ride as his older c63 AMG. Kind of one of the things i'm wary about in larger cars in general--a little too comfy means a sacrifice in handling at speed. Worried about it with an s5 too...

doubt very much a kia person would let me drive 120-150 on a test drive but my current car is rock solid at that speed. maybe better off sticking with a smaller sports sedan. or maybe i can stuff my children into the back of a used 911 4s for that money.

I mean, I actually haven't driven one personally, but if I were in that market and model range I'd probably consider it. Maybe a Panamera if I could find a good one for cheap somehow.

Reactions: rynryn

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
ty...

If those speeds are in mph, I'm assuming you take your car to a track?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Thirteen Epic Cars From Mad Max: Fury Road Are For Sale

shut-up-and-take-my-money-futurama.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad