Random Car Chat

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I had a slow leak in a tire so I took it in to Audi (where I bought them) and luckily i was three days under the time limit for full free repair/replace. Did not know before today that you aren't supposed to patch Z rated tires. also luckily there was almost no wear on them yet because of the lack of driving in the Covid times or I'd have had to buy a second to match the tread depth.

While there I gazed longingly at the rs6 they had in (sold already) and the e-tron GT (not for sale). my heart is filled with lust.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I had a slow leak in a tire so I took it in to Audi (where I bought them) and luckily i was three days under the time limit for full free repair/replace. Did not know before today that you aren't supposed to patch Z rated tires. also luckily there was almost no wear on them yet because of the lack of driving in the Covid times or I'd have had to buy a second to match the tread depth.

While there I gazed longingly at the rs6 they had in (sold already) and the e-tron GT (not for sale). my heart is filled with lust.
I buy all my tires at Discount Tire, pay $30 road hazard warranty, there is no "time limit" for free repair or replace. ;)

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I buy all my tires at Discount Tire, pay $30 road hazard warranty, there is no "time limit" for free repair or replace. ;)
nothing wrong with that. we do the same with the Outback. You sure there's no time limit? I remember with one of my cars it was prorated after a certain time like if I had two years or 20k on them they'd have made me pay for half. my summers haven't lasted very long anyway--Audi matches tire price anywhere--or at least they did last year when i bought them--and i'd rather they mess with it than somewhere else. this way i get a loaner!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
nothing wrong with that. we do the same with the Outback. You sure there's no time limit? I remember with one of my cars it was prorated after a certain time like if I had two years or 20k on them they'd have made me pay for half. my summers haven't lasted very long anyway--Audi matches tire price anywhere--or at least they did last year when i bought them--and i'd rather they mess with it than somewhere else. this way i get a loaner!
I'm sure. Hell, on my old Tiburon prior to the Audi, I had rims that were corrosion prone and thus would develop slow leaks repeatedly after a while... utilizing their road hazard warranty I ended up going through 2 full sets of tires over time, one of which was getting near end of life anyway, but because there was cracking in the sidewall that created splits that you could stick a pen in - replaced for free, only paid for a new road hazard warranty.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Spent a couple hours at the Newport Car Museum over the weekend. Really cool, but sad in a way. Like seeing 100 rare animals caged in a zoo. 60 year old cars in there with a couple hundred miles on them, I think one of them had 36 miles on it! A room full of Corvettes, a room of Mustangs, room for Mopar, basically a room for each. It was nuts

www.newportcarmuseum.org
Did you find yourself tempted to open the back door & yell: "RUN - BE FREE, MY BEAUTIES!"?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Did you find yourself tempted to open the back door & yell: "RUN - BE FREE, MY BEAUTIES!"?
Unfortunately, those cars with so few miles... though having value for that rare fact alone, usually driving them would be a terrible idea due to problems they develop from that severe lack of use in the first place. They tend to not even be remotely close to drivable condition.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
My son in-law just bought a 2003 Jeep Liberty for $3500. 3" lift, 150k kms, aftermarket stereo, actually in really nice shape. He's super-stoked about it; a couple of cars ago he had a Chevy Blazer from somewhere in the late 90's and my daughter is pretty certain he'd sorely missed having a 4 by for a long time. Private sale, didn't get it inspected (ominous music)...but what the hell. They just bought a condo, so if it explodes it's not going to be that big a deal to get a new one. Meh. He's happy about it.

Here's to hoping he doesn't google "2003 Jeep Liberty common problems" anytime soon. ;)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
And also:

The Acura Integra Is Back

I've been waiting for the return of the RSX, but this could be even better. One of the very, very few cars I could actually see myself taking out a car loan for.

*Edit* But then I was also excited to see the new NSX...so...yeah.

NSX is too flashy for me. A new Integra is interesting though. Hopefully they don't ruin it like everyone did when I was in high school

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
NSX is too flashy for me. A new Integra is interesting though. Hopefully they don't ruin it like everyone did when I was in high school

I should clarify; I was excited to hear they were doing a new NSX, not so much for the final product. I thought if anything it looked too...normal. The first gen is still way prettier. That's always been one of my favourite cars. In some ways though, they're both very much alike. One of the finest high performance cars of their generations. You get 90% of the performance of a comparable Ferrari or Lamborghini for about a third the price, they're ten times better made...and nobody bought them because of the badge on the nose. The market can be dumb sometimes.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I should clarify; I was excited to hear they were doing a new NSX, not so much for the final product. I thought if anything it looked too...normal. The first gen is still way prettier. That's always been one of my favourite cars. In some ways though, they're both very much alike. One of the finest high performance cars of their generations. You get 90% of the performance of a comparable Ferrari or Lamborghini for about a third the price, they're ten times better made...and nobody bought them because of the badge on the nose. The market can be dumb sometimes.

That's sort of how I viewed the Mitsubishi 3000gt/Dodge Stealth, when properly equipped with the twin turbo and manual of course. I knew a kid in high school with an early Mitsu 3000GT, and I'm sure he either let it rot or he junked it.

Not my favorite cars be any means, but had a semi-exotic look and they certainly hauled ass.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I only really ever saw the Stealth growing up; Mitsu wasn't really in the market here except as lesser, rebadged versions of better cars like the Stealth was to the 3000GT. Front wheel drive, no 4 wheel steering, always liked the 300ZX twin turbo and the NSX better. And speaking of Japanese sports cars:

The 2023 Nissan Z Is A 400 Horsepower Twin-Turbo V6 Enthusiast's Dream

Specs for the new Z car are in.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I only really ever saw the Stealth growing up; Mitsu wasn't really in the market here except as lesser, rebadged versions of better cars like the Stealth was to the 3000GT. Front wheel drive, no 4 wheel steering, always liked the 300ZX twin turbo and the NSX better. And speaking of Japanese sports cars:

The 2023 Nissan Z Is A 400 Horsepower Twin-Turbo V6 Enthusiast's Dream

Specs for the new Z car are in.

It's too bad I can't justify buying a rear-wheel drive car. I also am skeptical of any new Nissan tbh.

...but a 400-horse coupe with 6-speed manual for an at-least-likely-semi-reasonable price? Drool.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's too bad I can't justify buying a rear-wheel drive car. I also am skeptical of any new Nissan tbh.

...but a 400-horse coupe with 6-speed manual for an at-least-likely-semi-reasonable price? Drool.

3 liter twin turbo, 6 speed, rwd, and an ass end like that...no chance that's under 40k. Not sure what interior quality would be like, but this looks like a $55k sports car, easily.

Not sure what sort of market there would be at $55k though, so maybe they'll skimp on build quality and get by on looks+power and try keeping costs down

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
3 liter twin turbo, 6 speed, rwd, and an ass end like that...no chance that's under 40k. Not sure what interior quality would be like, but this looks like a $55k sports car, easily.

Not sure what sort of market there would be at $55k though, so maybe they'll skimp on build quality and get by on looks+power and try keeping costs down

Nissan has definitely never skimped on build quality before so I'm sure this is very unlikely.

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Any Subie fans?

I don't know if I'm really a "fan", but I had a bugeye WRX wagon a few years back that I'd consider one of the best cars I've owned.

As an old school DSM/Mitsubishi guy (I still have two 1G AWD Talons), I went from absolutely hating Subaru's to reluctantly considering them when I wanted a newer fun DD that had the utility of a hatchback to replace a Saturn Ion Redline I had at the time. I was going around test driving Caliber SRT4's, MazdaSpeed 3's and HHR SS's and I don't even remember what it was that led me to look but I stumbled upon a 2006 WRX Wagon in WRB. I decided that's what I wanted, but while trying to work out a transaction with the really oddball private seller, a local dealer got in a one owner 2002 Wagon for like half as much. I went and test drove it out of boredom, but absolutely fell in love with it and took it home.

I put on a super cheap eBay turbo back, a catless up pipe, panel filter and got a free tune from a buddy that had the same car and at some point similar mods. I then proceeded to beat the absolute snot out of it for a few years and drove it all over the place. It was pretty much bulletproof. Was coming up on 190k when I stopped daily driving it.

Ultimately, the rust from the car being in SE MI its whole life kind of ruined it for me and I had also moved to an area where my work commute would be 100% city driving while 93 octane was over $4/gallon. Literally the easiest car I've ever sold though, and I think it went for $1500 less than I bought it for despite being at least 4 years older and having a lot more miles. I miss it sometimes, especially when winter comes around.

The one weird thing was that everyone I successfully turned onto Subaru's back then had the exact opposite luck with theirs and quickly got back out of them.

I initially wanted to upgrade to a 2009+ Wagon, but decided to reserve my fun for my project car stuff I already had laying around and went with a Honda Fit to DD. If I ever get the Subaru bug again, I'd love a 2004 STi in JBP on silver stock BBS's.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I don't know if I'm really a "fan", but I had a bugeye WRX wagon a few years back that I'd consider one of the best cars I've owned.

As an old school DSM/Mitsubishi guy (I still have two 1G AWD Talons), I went from absolutely hating Subaru's to reluctantly considering them when I wanted a newer fun DD that had the utility of a hatchback to replace a Saturn Ion Redline I had at the time. I was going around test driving Caliber SRT4's, MazdaSpeed 3's and HHR SS's and I don't even remember what it was that led me to look but I stumbled upon a 2006 WRX Wagon in WRB. I decided that's what I wanted, but while trying to work out a transaction with the really oddball private seller, a local dealer got in a one owner 2002 Wagon for like half as much. I went and test drove it out of boredom, but absolutely fell in love with it and took it home.

I put on a super cheap eBay turbo back, a catless up pipe, panel filter and got a free tune from a buddy that had the same car and at some point similar mods. I then proceeded to beat the absolute snot out of it for a few years and drove it all over the place. It was pretty much bulletproof. Was coming up on 190k when I stopped daily driving it.

Ultimately, the rust from the car being in SE MI its whole life kind of ruined it for me and I had also moved to an area where my work commute would be 100% city driving while 93 octane was over $4/gallon. Literally the easiest car I've ever sold though, and I think it went for $1500 less than I bought it for despite being at least 4 years older and having a lot more miles. I miss it sometimes, especially when winter comes around.

The one weird thing was that everyone I successfully turned onto Subaru's back then had the exact opposite luck with theirs and quickly got back out of them.

I initially wanted to upgrade to a 2009+ Wagon, but decided to reserve my fun for my project car stuff I already had laying around and went with a Honda Fit to DD. If I ever get the Subaru bug again, I'd love a 2004 STi in JBP on silver stock BBS's.
Here let me scratch that itch for ya

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club

Thanks for the story! I’m on my 4th Subie now. Had an STI sedan for a while but when I moved to WA I needed something bigger to fit my lifestyle. So I got a 5 speed Foz. Now I’m on a CVT Foz and it’s alright, not as fun or engaging but man, I’ve take both my Foresters everywhere and thrown everything from snow, mud, sand they just eat it up. Of course I had them both fitted with off-road tires and the current one has a lift. But alas, yeah I’m itching to go back to an STI or WRX. I need a manual bad. I’d be interested in one of the older hatches for sure. That plus an old school JDM Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol or Mitsubishi Pajero as my beater rig and I’d be set lol

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Thanks for the story! I’m on my 4th Subie now. Had an STI sedan for a while but when I moved to WA I needed something bigger to fit my lifestyle. So I got a 5 speed Foz. Now I’m on a CVT Foz and it’s alright, not as fun or engaging but man, I’ve take both my Foresters everywhere and thrown everything from snow, mud, sand they just eat it up. Of course I had them both fitted with off-road tires and the current one has a lift. But alas, yeah I’m itching to go back to an STI or WRX. I need a manual bad. I’d be interested in one of the older hatches for sure. That plus an old school JDM Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol or Mitsubishi Pajero as my beater rig and I’d be set lol

I definitely agree on them being able to take on any conditions. My WRX was on some cheap all seasons and never got stuck in anything. After I got my Fit I contemplated keeping it and putting some Forester springs and meaty tires on it, but couldn't resist all the decent offers I got for it after just putting a feeler out.

One of the people that didn't have the greatest luck with Subaru's I was referring to had a 5 speed 2004 JBP Forester XT and man was that thing deceptively quick when it was at 100%... But it had a myriad of issues that culminated with what was likely a blown headgasket.

I did a HG job on a basic early Forester. It was so easy to pull the motor and change that I always keep my eyes open for cheap old Subaru's with blown headgaskets that I can fix and flip if I need some quick cash.

I guess great minds think alike. A Land Cruiser (albeit a US 100 series), among a bunch of other 2UZ Toyota/Lexus SUV's is on my short list of vehicles to eventually replace my Fit. Just seems like the inflated used car values have hit those especially hard, so I'm trying to wait that out.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I definitely agree on them being able to take on any conditions. My WRX was on some cheap all seasons and never got stuck in anything. After I got my Fit I contemplated keeping it and putting some Forester springs and meaty tires on it, but couldn't resist all the decent offers I got for it after just putting a feeler out.

One of the people that didn't have the greatest luck with Subaru's I was referring to had a 5 speed 2004 JBP Forester XT and man was that thing deceptively quick when it was at 100%... But it had a myriad of issues that culminated with what was likely a blown headgasket.

I did a HG job on a basic early Forester. It was so easy to pull the motor and change that I always keep my eyes open for cheap old Subaru's with blown headgaskets that I can fix and flip if I need some quick cash.

I guess great minds think alike. A Land Cruiser (albeit a US 100 series), among a bunch of other 2UZ Toyota/Lexus SUV's is on my short list of vehicles to eventually replace my Fit. Just seems like the inflated used car values have hit those especially hard, so I'm trying to wait that out.

yeah head gaskets have plagued many Subarus. They’re still overall a reliable brand. Never had any issues with all 4 that I’ve owned. But there are things here and there that do plague many of them. Some model years have been known for burning too much oil, ringland issues etc..but it’s still nowhere near Land Rover/Jaguar territory :laugh:

anyway, yeah man I agree, the used car market is inflated recently. But, thanks to those Japanese car laws, it means older awesome models will constantly hit our shores. My buddy has a Mitsubishi Delica and a Pajero, both turbo diesels. Such awesome cars for camping and off-roading. I’m a total JDM fan. God I’ve seen some RX7s, Supras, even Celica GT4s for sale and I’m like drooling lol even though realistically I’d probably prefer an Evo or STI

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Don’t think this would really warrant a new thread, but what causes an AC compressor to stop working?

my fiancée traded her 2007 Nissan Rogue for a newer 2017 Rogue two years ago and the AC compressor kicked two week ago. Debating on either spending the 650 to fix it or waiting for next year.

not trying to be political on this point, but I compared four different mechanics and they all complained that car parts will/are going up due to the current market of inflation.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Don’t think this would really warrant a new thread, but what causes an AC compressor to stop working?

my fiancée traded her 2007 Nissan Rogue for a newer 2017 Rogue two years ago and the AC compressor kicked two week ago. Debating on either spending the 650 to fix it or waiting for next year.

not trying to be political on this point, but I compared four different mechanics and they all complained that car parts will/are going up due to the current market of inflation.
Its usually the clutch built in to the compressor. The compressor is always spinning via the belt, but won't engage until the clutch activates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad