Random Car Chat

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Dealer, at least twice a month, sends me flyers wanting me to trade up and every single time cites a trade in value $10k less than what i can find my car for on the open market. what the hell is up with that? I know trade-in is lower than what you can get as a private seller but it's not $10k difference is it?! that's a ton of profit if people bite on it.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Dealer, at least twice a month, sends me flyers wanting me to trade up and every single time cites a trade in value $10k less than what i can find my car for on the open market. what the hell is up with that? I know trade-in is lower than what you can get as a private seller but it's not $10k difference is it?! that's a ton of profit if people bite on it.

Used market right now is f***ing ridiculous. There's likely some wiggle room on either end of that, but 10k seems egregious to me. There ain't shit out there for decent used cars. It seems anybody that would have normally considered trading up, just decided to play it safe and keep their ride instead. The pandemic caused everybody to think twice about their budgets I guess.

That, and this wild shortage on new cars. There's nothing for people to buy either.

WRONG time for my car to shit the bed. Been driving the lady's car for a few weeks now and it's killing me.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Used market right now is f***ing ridiculous. There's likely some wiggle room on either end of that, but 10k seems egregious to me. There ain't shit out there for decent used cars. It seems anybody that would have normally considered trading up, just decided to play it safe and keep their ride instead. The pandemic caused everybody to think twice about their budgets I guess.

That, and this wild shortage on new cars. There's nothing for people to buy either.

WRONG time for my car to shit the bed. Been driving the lady's car for a few weeks now and it's killing me.

Hadn't really thought of that but makes total sense. We were trying to buy a new refrigerator a couple weeks ago and had no luck finding the one we wanted in stock anywhere because they hadn't been making them during the shut down.

I'm not really interested in selling but it's fun to fantasize. I had a hard time trying to find s3's in my area and the national sites all have "good price" on cars with more miles at $10k + over what the dealer prelim offer was. Almost want to write and ask their rationale but i'm thinking yeah, since availability is so low they might as well take a shot and turn a big profit. That and their low offer eats up the "losses" their incentives incur like Audi loyalty (i think that's $4k off a new s4 which is the latest they tried to sell me on).

GL finding something you want to drive on a regular basis. i know how edgy I get when we're on a long trip and i have to drive my wife's car.

Reactions: TD Charlie

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh yeah, my son in-law's car just got totaled on the highway the other day, so he's in the used car market soon. He and my daughter are moving into their own condo in June, and I know my mom sent them some $$, so that should bump him into a higher used car bracket.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
A little while ago, my wife asked me about a random car she saw around the hood; she tried for a while to remember the name of it, and she finally came up with "Cosmo". Huh. Mazda Comso, I thought to myself. Unusual. You'd think I'd have noticed something that rare on these shores if it were rumbling around here.

Yesterday she told me the word on the back wasn't Cosmo, but Kompressor. Just a boring old Merc that I've seen parked on the corner for years. Not even worthy of an underground spot.

D'oh.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
A little while ago, my wife asked me about a random car she saw around the hood; she tried for a while to remember the name of it, and she finally came up with "Cosmo". Huh. Mazda Comso, I thought to myself. Unusual. You'd think I'd have noticed something that rare on these shores if it were rumbling around here.

Yesterday she told me the word on the back wasn't Cosmo, but Kompressor. Just a boring old Merc that I've seen parked on the corner for years. Not even worthy of an underground spot.

D'oh.

At least now she knows the German word for supercharger!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Didn't that boosted Benz v8 put out like 500 horses almost 20 years ago? Not so bad.

Known for being fairly reliable too. Unfortunately, like any MB car, any repairs at all come with a massive cost premium.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Didn't that boosted Benz v8 put out like 500 horses almost 20 years ago? Not so bad.

Known for being fairly reliable too. Unfortunately, like any MB car, any repairs at all come with a massive cost premium.

In my experience, that's basically true with every German car ever made. :laugh:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Washed the trucks today. We've had so much damn pollen floating around for weeks it wasnt worth washing b4 today.

Anyone have any hacks for water spots on a black vehicle? If I want it perfect I have to use the chamois and thats just not fun

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Washed the trucks today. We've had so much damn pollen floating around for weeks it wasnt worth washing b4 today.

Anyone have any hacks for water spots on a black vehicle? If I want it perfect I have to use the chamois and thats just not fun

Ceramic coating is all I know.

I had two black vehicles in a row....at the time I loved them but I'll never do it again. I don't have time anymore to wash my car 2-3 times a week.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

Ceramic coating helps with water spots. I've had a black gt86 and now a black Veloster N and until I coated the Velo the paint always looks like garbage. Get some paint correction done(easy to do yourself if you pick up a polisher but results aren't professional, having it done will blow you away) and get someone to ceramic coat it, it'll change your life.

Reactions: HansonBro

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Ceramic coating helps with water spots. I've had a black gt86 and now a black Veloster N and until I coated the Velo the paint always looks like garbage. Get some paint correction done(easy to do yourself if you pick up a polisher but results aren't professional, having it done will blow you away) and get someone to ceramic coat it, it'll change your life.
Lol if I'm investing money into this truck, its bar work and a winch. Your idea sounds nice in fantasy land though. The paint isnt terrible, but theres a lot of war wounds on the 20 year old boy. Ive used nu finish twice a year since ive owned it.

Your idea about paint correction might be something I'll look into though. I'll have to hop on the youtubes

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
At least now she knows the German word for supercharger!

lol we'll see if it sticks. She doesn't drive herself, but she does like cars. Mostly older stuff; her personal favourite would be a cherry red Caddy from the 50's.

In the 90's for a while I worked for a few motorhome rental companies. One had a few Volkswagen Wesfalias (actually how I learned to drive a manual), the repairs for those were always ridiculous. One guy lost the front privacy curtain that snaps over the front windows at night; VW wanted to charge us $700+ in 1990's dollars for a replacement. A f***ing curtain. Unreal.

The particular car my wife saw isn't one of the better ones out there...

In my experience, that's basically true with every German car ever made. :laugh:

See above.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD Charlie

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh yeah. Also spotted this baby a while ago:

Dtype.jpg

Yup. That's a D Type Jag. A replica is in the hundreds of thousands.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Spent a couple hours at the Newport Car Museum over the weekend. Really cool, but sad in a way. Like seeing 100 rare animals caged in a zoo. 60 year old cars in there with a couple hundred miles on them, I think one of them had 36 miles on it! A room full of Corvettes, a room of Mustangs, room for Mopar, basically a room for each. It was nuts

www.newportcarmuseum.org

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Started working further away in June; new job requires highway driving, and the car's not liking it. Got an oil leak from the timing case, and the dealership says if you're fixing that, you may as well do the timing chain. While the diagnostic was being done, I had a new Accord with a cvt as a service loaner, so now I've finally driven a car with a cvt. Can't say I liked it much. It's hard to go back to a slush box once you're used to manual.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Started working further away in June; new job requires highway driving, and the car's not liking it. Got an oil leak from the timing case, and the dealership says if you're fixing that, you may as well do the timing chain. While the diagnostic was being done, I had a new Accord with a cvt as a service loaner, so now I've finally driven a car with a cvt. Can't say I liked it much. It's hard to go back to a slush box once you're used to manual.

I can't even call the CVT a slush box. It's worse. I drove my 64 yesterday with a 350 turbo, and I'm pretty sure there's a vacuum leak somewhere. I still rather drive that than a car with a CVT.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I can't even call the CVT a slush box. It's worse. I drove my 64 yesterday with a 350 turbo, and I'm pretty sure there's a vacuum leak somewhere. I still rather drive that than a car with a CVT.

The Accord was the base shitty model of course so that cvt was also mated to the wimpiest engine in that range. I kept stomping on the gas trying to get some revs. It was an absolutely gutless combination. Yeah, new Accord SE. Didn't even have nav. Didn't want to sync with my phone but who cares, one day loaner.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The Accord was the base shitty model of course so that cvt was also mated to the wimpiest engine in that range. I kept stomping on the gas trying to get some revs. It was an absolutely gutless combination. Yeah, new Accord SE. Didn't even have nav. Didn't want to sync with my phone but who cares, one day loaner.
Sounds horrible. Makes driving a 10 speed auto sound like fun lol

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Sounds horrible. Makes driving a 10 speed auto sound like fun lol

The BMW dual clutch 8 speed is a joy. My lady has one in her X1, and with the twin scroll 2.0 it scoots very smooth down through the backroads. It puts the Chrysler 62te I am most familiar with, to shame.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

that sounds like a nightmare. A small turbo 4 that can't produce any power until it's winding up, and a transmission that takes all afternoon to get the revs up.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I saw what I believe to be a 4th generation Toyota Supra today. It was in blue and in absolutely terrific shape.

Those things don't come around every day.

Reactions: rynryn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad