Ramifications of Matt Read elbow to Carcillo's head

WVULax22

Apr 8, 2014
Apparently it's only suspendable if Carcillo doesn't get up.

If Carcillo lays on the ice and trainers need to come and carry him off, Read gets suspended.

And thats what pisses me off about the NHL. "Oh, he's okay? Then there's no penalty." "Oh, he's hurt?/Oh it was on Crosby? Ten game suspension."

It is downright ********.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
i'd be really happy if after announcing cooke's suspension, they give read a fine. they won't, but oh well.

sickboy35

Jun 4, 2002
trenton
Visit site
typical NHL *********! if it was Claude, like Cindy Danny would be sittin for the rest of the series, but its only a goon that deserved it. But Danny got the best retribution and that is sticking a fork in them for the night! to hell with the Flyers!

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
I guess the league wants the rangers to do their own job then.bring in players that cant be regulars just to off their heads in the elimination game. When One gets removed/suspended then bring in another. Throughout recent history most players that took headshots vs nyr got no discipline. Send a message to the league just like they are doing and make it known to the media. Sign players for 1 day just for that. What are they gonna do ban the rangers from the nhl or change some things around?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It was a dirty hit. Read should be suspended. I don't think there's much argument. Even a lot of Flyers fans think so.

It's a losing argument however to argue that Read is a dirty player--30 penalty minutes total in 196 regular season games.

The guy has never had a pro fight in his life. Carcillo could offer--somehow I don't think Read would take him up on it. Why would he?

It's not worth turning this into a distraction. Rangers need to win two more games and are better off doing it as quickly as possible. The Flyers are faux tough--they have guys who play on the edge but their only really tough guy Jay Rosehill will probably not even play in this series. Rinaldo, Hartnell, Simmonds---will Read's getting away with this make them braver?--they're going to play the same--they might go more over the edge the more desperate the situation gets--that tends to be stupid hockey though. We have to think first and foremost about winning and getting to the next round--hopefully getting Kreider back and have our entire team intact. Our only hope to beat the Bruins IMO is have our whole team healthy and the more banged up they are the better our chances.

The Rangers did fine last night. They took care of business.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Bring in players for the 3rd period of the elimination game. And take out their star players and at the press conference say we were just protecting our players since no1 else did. ;)
Time to scour the world for such players for now and the future

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Talk about lack of integrity from DPS. It´s just embarrasing :facepalm:

But important that the Rangers don´t retaliate in a way that hurts the team. Let Carcillo fight him, but don´t go after him and risk major penalties and in worst case game misconduct.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Take a number and keep playing.

I just have a bad feeling Carcillo or Dorsett is going to do something very dumb to put us down 4-5 minutes.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If the Rangers are up or down 5-1 in the next game--fine go out and get some payback. Throwing away any playoff game that's winnable to get some revenge is just ****ing asinine. The Rangers have won one single Cup since I've followed the team--71-72--trips to the finals don't come along very often either. The way I look at it the Rangers are as good as the Canadiens. There are really only two teams in the East that are better--the Penguins and the Bruins and I think the Rangers could beat Pittsburgh--they have a better defense and goaltending and they are deeper throughout the lineup. They don't have the same top end talent but if McDonagh, Girardi, Staal and Lundqvist could tamp down Crosby's and Malkin's offense the Rangers should win IMO.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I have sympathy for guys who make awkward contact when they're trying to make a hard hockey play - sometimes they have to take a seat for a couple games, those are the rules, but it's a hard game.

Every time I see the Read hit it looks more and more like a coward's trick. I don't want to see something happen to anyone on either team that makes the league reap what it sowed. It's a divisional rivalry, you've got noted dirty players on both teams, and you're giving the green light on using the head as a principal point of contact away from the puck.

The Rangers won't give a directive to "Bertuzzi" Read or anyone else, but decisions to let up on guys are snap-second decisions. You don't run someone because it's the right thing to do, you respect your fellow professional and you know the league is watching. When even the "good citizens" and "clean players" on the Flyers are doing stuff like this and the league apparently isn't watching, things can escalate.

I expect to see one really crummy hit from someone in blue before the series is over. I just hope it's not an important player and it's after a game has effectively been settled.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
let's retaliate by sending them packing in 5.

I would agree as well. The play is over and done with. Carcillo is ok. It wasn't Nash or one of our high skilled players. Move on and beat them!

As Rick Reilly from ESPN said today, "He who angers you, owns you. Let it go." Perfect advice!

Balej20

Jan 4, 2013
I would agree as well. The play is over and done with. Carcillo is ok. It wasn't Nash or one of our high skilled players. Move on and beat them!

As Rick Reilly from ESPN said today, "He who angers you, owns you. Let it go." Perfect advice!

I don't entirely agree with Reilly's quote. Sometimes, he who angers you, motivates you to be or do better. Anger can certainly drive greatness if directed in the right way.

WVULax22

Apr 8, 2014

Rick Reilly is an arrogant, self obsessed ******.

That is all.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
If the Rangers are up or down 5-1 in the next game--fine go out and get some payback. Throwing away any playoff game that's winnable to get some revenge is just ****ing asinine. The Rangers have won one single Cup since I've followed the team--71-72--trips to the finals don't come along very often either. The way I look at it the Rangers are as good as the Canadiens. There are really only two teams in the East that are better--the Penguins and the Bruins and I think the Rangers could beat Pittsburgh--they have a better defense and goaltending and they are deeper throughout the lineup. They don't have the same top end talent but if McDonagh, Girardi, Staal and Lundqvist could tamp down Crosby's and Malkin's offense the Rangers should win IMO.
There may be Jackets coming out victorious. They are better than Islanders, while Malkin and Crosby want to play in IIHF World against each other.

Could someone explain to me what suspension does to players while in playoffs? They wont lose any money for missed games, will they? So it is just to make a statement? In Cook's case he will lose money cause suspension may progress into the regular season, but Read cannot be penalized unless fine is imposed.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't entirely agree with Reilly's quote. Sometimes, he who angers you, motivates you to be or do better. Anger can certainly drive greatness if directed in the right way.

Just an FYI, the quote wasn't directed at the play, just from an article he wrote about his experience in the sports world over the years.

Regarding your comment, I think the best thing you can have in playoff hockey is discipline. Their will always be calls that go against you. It's how you react to it that can win you a game or lose one.

Does anger drive greatness, I don't think so. I think you can use it as motivation but you still can't let anger make you lose your focus.

A lot of the comments previously were about getting retribution. My point was to forget it and move forward and win the next game(s). The playoffs are too important.

If you want retribution, do it next year. I'm sure Read will be in the league.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
If Carcillo lays on the ice and trainers need to come and carry him off, Read gets suspended.

And thats what pisses me off about the NHL. "Oh, he's okay? Then there's no penalty." "Oh, he's hurt?/Oh it was on Crosby? Ten game suspension."

It is downright ********.

I came to these boards see what you guys are saying about the hit and the double standard. I agree that Read should be suspended and thoroughly enjoyed watching Carcillo troll the Philly crowd. While reading the posts I see a number of references to people getting suspended for hitting Crosby. It made me curious and since I have a bad memory (and google didn't provide me with the answers)I want to ask who and how many players have been suspended for hitting and/or hurting Crosby?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad