Ramifications of Matt Read elbow to Carcillo's head

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
How does the league respond to this blindsided elbow to the head?

Will they? Or will they let it slide because Carcillo you know ended up coming back getting screwed on a terrible call and comes back with vengeance on a beautiful goal to end this game.

So any fines? suspension?

849592793.gif

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Considering the victim and the lack of injury, they might not even spin the wheel.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Given every explanation I've seen from the league for headshots, if Read isn't suspended for at least 2 games it's an absolute joke. It wasn't even a hockey play. It was a blindsided shot to the head, it doesn't matter what players are involved.

Hagelin got suspended 3 games for a borderline high hit on Alfredsson, a hockey play. You're telling me that what Read did is not suspendable? Ridiculous.

I won't be surprised if he isn't though because this league has absolute no consistency when it comes to dishing out suspensions. That play was a text book headshot.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That's a bad hit and should be looked at the league. Whether it will be--I don't know. No penalty and I doubt very seriously that Read has any history. It in fact surprised me that Read was the one who did that. Even so--it looked like a deliberate attempt to injure another player. If the league does look at it--it will be any of 1) two game suspension 2) one game suspension 3) a fine. He should have a history after tonight.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Someone get a gif from MSG or something..The side replay they showed it looked so bad. I was so pissed. Read clearly looks at him and jump to elbow Carcillo at the head.

HIS FREAKING NECK SPINS so fast around

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Like I have said in the post game thread, the NHL is probably not going to do anything about it. Read is now a target, he better keep his wits about him because he did something that is a big no-no in hockey. There is playing clean and with an edge, then there is being a gutless **** who is taking cheap shots.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
If Carcillo is Crosy, what happens?

The game would be stopped for 25 minutes and a red carpet would be rolled out to carry him out

The next day the Gary Bettman holds a press conference to ban the player for the rest of his career

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
The game would be stopped for 25 minutes and a red carpet would be rolled out to carry him out

The next day the Gary Bettman holds a press conference to ban the player for the rest of his career

You forgot the criminal charges, the pleas to the White House to have said player deported if he was not American, probably be enrolled in the FBIs most wanted list.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Someone should tweet that gif to the NHL, and some of the powers that be involved in the league safety department. If the Read isn't suspended, and the Rangers have a 3 goal lead, I'd go right after Streit and Giroux's head.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Someone should tweet that gif to the NHL, and some of the powers that be involved in the league safety department. If the Read isn't suspended, and the Rangers have a 3 goal lead, I'd go right after Streit and Giroux's head.

You have to realize that if the scenario you paint does indeed occur, most people would say that what you propose would be a 'toffness' thing, which is obviously sarcasm for 'toughness'.
These experts have already told us that 'toffness' is to be avoided.

Under this guise, some folks actually propose that there should never be payback. Turn the cheek, over and over again.

I do not subscribe to that. I like your idea, it seems much more genuine and useful.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
That would shock me if he actually gets a suspension.

I'm totally against it, but I think the fact Carcillo wasn't actually "out" means they will hardly even consider a suspension. It's a dirty hit no doubt, but I think there may actually have been a bit of embellishment on Carcillo's part? Either way, the lack of a serious injury makes me think they'll skew towards not involving themselves in the dynamic of the series.

I think it will be decided not quite bad enough to warrant jurisdiction beyond what should have been handled by the officials on the ice. Maaaybe a $3-5000 fine, but I think this is going the way of one the refs should have caught, but unfortunately for our team this time, missed. IE. should have been a game misconduct, major penalty.

And though it probably goes without saying, the NHL DoPS has a pretty clear history of under-punishment

And by the way, did the Brashear headshot/cheapshot on Betts in that playoff series get called on the ice? Was there any supplemental discipline for Brashear? Not saying the punishment will be the same, just wondering

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It would be disgraceful if he wasn't suspended when Hagelin was for his hit on Alfie.

Totally different situation. A rookie hitting a well-respected veteran is a 3-game ban. When you castrate someone on the ice and your name is Lucic, no ban. I thought by now we were all used to this crap

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Carcillo is out for nine months with headaches. let's just be thankful he's not injury prone like a Crosby or like a Sauer.

Well said. If that was someone who suffered a concussion recently like a Nash that would have been a serious injury for sure. Dirty play but doesn't surprise me coming from Philly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad