Ramifications of Matt Read elbow to Carcillo's head

WVULax22

Apr 8, 2014
It sucks that the league did nothing about it, but let's take a step back here. You can very well say that poetic justice was already served when Carcillo came out of the box (on a BS penalty) to immediately score the goal that deflated Philly's hopes in game 3.

Let Philly be the ones playing on tilt. They are not a disciplined team to begin with. If we start retaliating and taking stupid penalties we may as well give them the series.

The ultimate vengeance is raising the cup. Lets not do anything stupid to jeopardize our already outside chances of having that happen.

On second thought, I change my mind.

This guy is right. Rise above it, focus on winning Friday, and then again on Sunday. Let's bring the cup back to NY. Stay the course and do what we came here to do. Don't get sucked into Philly's grimy style.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers need to be smart. They cant go after Matt Read who has been a non factor in these playoffs. Stay the course. Put them away

Exactly. The ultimate mission here is to get to the next round. Send the other team to the golf course.

Anyway if Mason is coming back--I'd be crowding him in the crease. Go hard to the net as much as possible. Try to do it without taking penalties but make life as miserable for him as possible. That's one of the ways you go at them physically.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
To those saying do nothing, well, I give you my wise guru statement:

"What you tolerate, you teach".

There is a way to do this without it causing us to overall lose our discipline, or the game, or the series. There is a way to send a message while not overall compromising ourselves. And we MUST! Part of hockey is sending a message after plays like this. It is part of the game, and any real team, any team WORTHY of the cup, would be able to send that message while not compromising the series.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I guess its ok to skate around and lean your shoulder into opponents heads as they skate by.

With all of the coverage on head-shots, concussions and cleaning the game up I am shocked that Read wasnt handed a fine, at the very least. I just dont get it.

Am i not seeing something here? Did Carcillo take a dive? I like how he snapped his head to the side, that looked pretty realistic.

Beat the **** out of these clowns and finish them off at home in 5. **** them.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To those saying do nothing, well, I give you my wise guru statement:

"What you tolerate, you teach".

There is a way to do this without it causing us to overall lose our discipline, or the game, or the series. There is a way to send a message while not overall compromising ourselves. And we MUST! Part of hockey is sending a message after plays like this. It is part of the game, and any real team, any team WORTHY of the cup, would be able to send that message while not compromising the series.

This ain't the regular season. Read's a decent player--albeit not a dirty one even if his hit went way over the line last night. To me if you don't beat the daylights out of him then and there he's not even the one you'd retaliate against if you're determined to have your pound of flesh. Giroux would be more of an obvious target as would bumping Mason around in his goal crease. The best revenge for now though would be to win the series and the best outcome would be to win the series as quickly as possible without turning into an all out war sending numerous players on either side to the hospital. I'd prefer winning this without too much blood being shed because some of it will be ours and I'd prefer as full a lineup as possible for the next round should we get there.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
It sucks that the league did nothing about it, but let's take a step back here. You can very well say that poetic justice was already served when Carcillo came out of the box (on a BS penalty) to immediately score the goal that deflated Philly's hopes in game 3.

Let Philly be the ones playing on tilt. They are not a disciplined team to begin with. If we start retaliating and taking stupid penalties we may as well give them the series.

The ultimate vengeance is raising the cup. Lets not do anything stupid to jeopardize our already outside chances of having that happen.

You are way too rational for these boards.

You are obviously from another planet. You should try to be less obvious and blend in better.:laugh:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Someone should blindside Read the same way. See how he likes it.

Then see how the NHL suspends a Ranger for 3 games.

****ing NHL allows this **** to happen. Im usually not an eye-for-an-eye guy, but this is the playoffs. Win or go play golf. Flyers have been walking close to the dirty line all series. Read crossed it, with no discipline from the league. So the NHL sent a message. Time for the Rangers to send theirs - but they need to get creative. Like pushing the net on top of Masons head. Or a subtle slash on someones exposed wrist.

Whatever **** it

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007

Don't agree with this viewpoint... It's nice that we won and all, and with the timing of Carcillo's goal. But the bottom line is that it's only luck that Carcillo is not concussed due to an illegal and dirty hit. That's ******** and the league looks mickey mouse by ignoring it.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
This ain't the regular season. Read's a decent player--albeit not a dirty one even if his hit went way over the line last night. To me if you don't beat the daylights out of him then and there he's not even the one you'd retaliate against if you're determined to have your pound of flesh. Giroux would be more of an obvious target as would bumping Mason around in his goal crease. The best revenge for now though would be to win the series and the best outcome would be to win the series as quickly as possible without turning into an all out war sending numerous players on either side to the hospital. I'd prefer winning this without too much blood being shed because some of it will be ours and I'd prefer as full a lineup as possible for the next round should we get there.

If we don't retaliate don't you think it will make the *********'s in orange a little braver in their attempts to injure? I think to protect our stars we need to let them know that even if the league lets it go, we won't. Perfect retaliation would be for Carcillo to KO Read in a fight and get a 2 minute penalty at most for instigating.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I just hope this team REMEMBERS this and takes vengeance next season whenever our first game is against these ********. Especially id Carcillo is resigned, I want them to knock Read into next week.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I think he should get 1 game but like others are saying, it probably won't happen. Maybe a $5k fine like Lucic. It's a double standard with a player like Carcillo, as others have mentioned.

Even look at the sequence where he gets a penalty for getting in Giroux's face during the "scrum" between Voracek and Hags. First, I don't know how Voracek doesn't get a double minor for roughing or 5 min major being that he threw 4 punches and Hagelin threw none, or even a holding penalty for holding Hags along the boards which started it all.

But, putting all that aside, Carcillo goes over to pay Giroux a visit with a face wash for s***s and giggles. Giroux lifts his stick up in defense (not in an intimidating way but in defense) and Carcillo's face wash hits Giroux's own stick into his face. Danny's stick is in his right hand, with plenty of space between the stick and Giroux. Carcillo instigates a scrum, something every player has done in the playoffs so far, and gets penalized. Then I read today how Carcillo "cross checked" Giroux in the face, which is why he got the penalty. Cross check...lol. It was Giroux's own stick that hit him in the face.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
I'm still pissed Hagelin was suspended 3 games when he had no history for his elbow on Alfie.

Seems there's a different rule book for the NHL's 'stars'

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
12 games if it's Crosby, but thats the NHL for ya…

As a Ranger fan, who friggin cares. We have the better team so go win the series. If this team is losing sleep about whether or not Matt Read is in the lineup, then this team might as well go home now.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
Matt Read will not face any supplemental discipline for his elbow on Dan Carcillo last night.(Larry Brooks)

Not surprised at all, let's not forget it's not Shannigans anymore but worse, Stephane Quintel. You say why, if you remember this is the nut bag that the Rangers suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Not surprised him looking the other way on this obvious suspendable hit

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Not surprised at all, let's not forget it's not Shannigans anymore but worse, Stephane Quintel. You say why, if you remember this is the nut bag that the Rangers suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Not surprised him looking the other way on this obvious suspendable hit

Apparently it's only suspendable if Carcillo doesn't get up.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
This is exactly the type of hit the league is supposedly trying to eliminate. Blind side hit with the principle point of contact being the head. Replay even shows that Read sticks his shoulder out to catch him on the chin.

If that were Crosby being hit by Read, we'd be discussing if Read's suspension would be over before the next round. Instead we get nothing. That is why this league has no credibility and will never reach the popularity of the other major sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad