TSN: Ralph Krueger Open to NHL Return

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
His Oilers crashed and burned when it actually mattered . He could be a great NHL coach but too much risk.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
As a coach I'd pass, but I'd take him as President of Hockey Operations, Director of Player Development, or in any scouting position he wants. If he was coaching us though, I do think he could be the guy to get Pulju going, but I worry about the X's and O's for the rest of the team, I still think of him as a coach who plays a European game will win the special teams battle, but lose the 5 on 5 battle.

Reactions: fuswald

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have no doubt the Kruger is open to returning to the NHL. He would be on a long list of coaches that had a taste and would like to get back.
Good for him if it happens...just not with the Oilers. I dont think he was a particularly good coach and I dont care to see him behind the bench.
Most importantly this team needs to move forward...not backwards.

No more recycling personnel please.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'll be honest, I don't recall much of Kreuger's time here. I don't recall what made him good to some, what made him bad to others, but as far as a return, it's the same story as Todd Nelson. It's not "would the Oilers consider bringing him back?", it's "Would he consider coming back?".

The way one was overlooked and passed over and the other fired inexplicably after a 48 game lockout shortened season, the answer to both is "hard no", especially with Kruger since the guy who fired him still has a seat at the head table high in the ivory tower.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wouldn't be the right time frame. I enjoyed Krueger being here, being the coach of a young team that needed some soft guidance and positivity while they were finding their way. This is a coach that you have at a certain time. Within a formulative time frame. That doesn't apply now on the ticking McDrai time clock. We need tacticians now. Coaches that convey, expect and get their instruction translated on ice.

Krueger might be right in some other clubs time frame, maybe Ottawa, but not here, the time has passed.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
What stands out to me with Krueger is how well-liked he was among players. I recall one interview with Yakupov in particular where he raved to a Russian newspaper about him saying he’s “a coach you want to win for.”

I’d be ok with giving him another shot personally. Feel he wasn’t given a fair shake the first time around.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'll be honest, I don't recall much of Kreuger's time here. I don't recall what made him good to some, what made him bad to others, but as far as a return, it's the same story as Todd Nelson. It's not "would the Oilers consider bringing him back?", it's "Would he consider coming back?".

The way one was overlooked and passed over and the other fired inexplicably after a 48 game lockout shortened season, the answer to both is "hard no", especially with Kruger since the guy who fired him still has a seat at the head table high in the ivory tower.

I believe he did end up working with Lowe again for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics as a consultant, so never say never...

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
wut?

He almost made the playoffs with our garbage roster the 1 year he was here.
He was our head coach in the shortened season. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the results we had that year. We had a good stretch of games to close out the season as well, IIRC.

He is a player's coach to the Nth degree. It could be argued that his coaching tactics that season threw a wrench into the development of our young talent at the time. He wasn't a guy who was teaching them the importance of the 200ft game, which is something that was sorely needed at the time, considering the roster we were icing.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I believe he did end up working with Lowe again for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics as a consultant, so never say never...

Really? I thought he went straight to his Chairman job in the footy league after he was dumped by MacT.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
He didn't deserve how it ended here but don't think he'd be the right guy for this group now. He's the guy you bring in to teach young players how to play defense so it becomes second nature to them.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
What stands out to me with Krueger is how well-liked he was among players. I recall one interview with Yakupov in particular where he raved to a Russian newspaper about him saying he’s “a coach you want to win for.”

I’d be ok with giving him another shot personally. Feel he wasn’t given a fair shake the first time around.

Schultz said the interview with him is why he signed in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad