TSN: Ralph Krueger Open to NHL Return

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
He was good as the associate coach, running the special teams. He's not coming back for that.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
None of what you just said changes the fact that it was a garbage team that finished bottom 10 in the league and was nowhere close to making the playoffs. Give Krueger a full 82 game season and the Oilers would have finished even lower.
Being just under .500 with that roster is not bad at all. That’s by far the best they had played in any of the 2 seasons before and after. Had they played a full season virtually all the rest of the games would have been against the east whom we played better against in that era. Like I said being just under .500 with that roster only playing the west is pretty solid. They had no Mcdavid, no Draisaitl and even worse defence than the team currently and were comparable.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
No to Kruegar.

I'd rather not go with Todd Nelson either, but would rather him over Krugar.

I'd rather go with coaches who have been able to turn around crappy franchises:

Someone like Michel Therrien

Otherwise, I'd want to see if Alain Vignault or Joel Quenneville would be a good fit.

I'm still a bit surprised we never tried Brent Sutter back when those rumours were going crazy.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Dudes, memberberries aren't going to get us back into the playoffs. It's as simple as that.
We need a patient guy whose going to mesh well with the players who has a good understanding of systems and quite frankly a lot of experience to boot.

Poor Nuge. I wonder if he's so sick of new head coaches that he'll resign with a clause that his contract will become void if we fire another coach. I refuse to believe there's a player in the league that's his age or younger that's been through as many coaches as he has.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
He’s ‘open to a return’? Haha, no kidding, what guy who’s been fired and banished to an inferior league wouldn’t be open to a return? No thanks, no retreads wanted here. Look no further than Rieder and Brodziak.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He’s ‘open to a return’? Haha, no kidding, what guy who’s been fired and banished to an inferior league wouldn’t be open to a return? No thanks, no retreads wanted here. Look no further than Rieder and Brodziak.
Pretty sure he makes more money than any NHL coach. EPL >>>>> NHL and it’s not close in terms of global popularity.

Reactions: The Nuge

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Pretty sure he makes more money than any NHL coach. EPL >>>>> NHL and it’s not close in terms of global popularity.
If we can’t do better than some soccer chairman then we are in trouble. Why not go after Cito Gaston or Vince McMahon? I hear baseball and wrestling are pretty popular too

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
If we can’t do better than some soccer chairman then we are in trouble. Why not go after Cito Gaston or Vince McMahon? I hear baseball and wrestling are pretty popular too

Why not just admit you had no idea he was involved with a EPL team & thought he was coaching a hockey team somewhere in Europe?

Nobody with any brains would refer to the EPL as an inferior league to the NHL.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Why not just admit you had no idea he was involved with a EPL team & thought he was coaching a hockey team somewhere in Europe?

Nobody with any brains would refer to the EPL as an inferior league to the NHL.
So what if I did? He’s been overseas for most of his coaching career and is now involved in soccer. Let’s bring him in to fix the mess here, what a stupid idea

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
So what if I did? He’s been overseas for most of his coaching career and is now involved in soccer. Let’s bring him in to fix the mess here, what a stupid idea

Because the straight up "hockey guys" that are here in Edmonton have done a great job?

I don't know Ralph's deal, hockey coach, soccer bigwig, and world economic forum chair - seems like a sharp guy. Someone who could combine analytics with real world skill and experience. I don't think we should be worried about if he wants to come back here, he's smart enough to have lived through it and know he wants no part of the "hockey guys" here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Again that's not Kruger promising Schultz anything in the previous off season. He was helping a player reach those goals which were agreed upon between Schultz, Kevin Lowe, Craig Mactavish and Steve Tambellini.

I'll ask one more time. Do you have anything to back up your twice made claim that Ralph Kruger was the one who promised Schultz top pairing minutes in the summer before he signed?
It’s funny that immediately after Schultz signed both he and the organization were crediting Krueger with being the most responsible for it. Of course, after Krueger was fired and they needed support for Mactavish being GM, that narrative was changed to Mactavish being most responsible for Schultz decision to sign here. Like everything else Oilers related, with this regime, facts seem to change as time passes so it’s hard to know what to believe.

Point being, Krueger initially got credit for Schultz coming here. No reason not to think Krueger (as the head coach), as well as the management group, promised him ice time to get those bonuses. That type of promise would mean more coming from the coach than anyone else. That it played out exactly like that seems to confirm it doesn’t it?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Ralph Krueger admitted himself that he implemented a very simple even-strength system because he didn't get to have a training camp for what turned out to be his only season as head coach. Compounding this, he didn't have his own associate coach and he was saddled with Buchberger and Smith.

What we saw tactically from Krueger in 12-13 was a forced rush job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->