TSN: Ralph Krueger Open to NHL Return

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Wouldn't be the right time frame. I enjoyed Krueger being here, being the coach of a young team that needed some soft guidance and positivity while they were finding their way. This is a coach that you have at a certain time. Within a formulative time frame. That doesn't apply now on the ticking McDrai time clock. We need tacticians now. Coaches that convey, expect and get their instruction translated on ice.

Krueger might be right in some other clubs time frame, maybe Ottawa, but not here, the time has passed.

Krueger isn't a tactician? He was specifically picked by Babcock to help develop the game plan for team canada back in 2014, helping find ways to translate a big ice strategy into something to present to guys that play on NHL ice. That team didn't even break a sweat dismantling opposition, probably the most dominant hockey display ever. He also gave us amazing special teams as an assistant and head coach for the Oilers. The guy is very much an expert tactician. He just happened to coach a trash team in 2013, with injuries and a greedy bonus seeking youngin that he was forced to play big minutes to make it worse.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He's a good motivator but I didn't think he did an amazing job as far as coaching went.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You dont think the guarantee of minutes was a big selling point?

Think the ice time speaks for itself. Schultz played zero D in the last month or so of that season and basically acted like a 4th forward to get his last points for his schedule B bonus. Team suffered for it, but hey, 2M in the bank.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not interested in reliving the past in any way with this org...let’s just move on

Reliving the past was allowing MacT to be GM and to fire a quality person that we had in this org. What this org should do is correct the past by firing MacT and hiring back any quality people that were casualties of a team that has been living in the past for a over a decade.

Reactions: Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Krueger isn't a tactician? He was specifically picked by Babcock to help develop the game plan for team canada back in 2014, helping find ways to translate a big ice strategy into something to present to guys that play on NHL ice. That team didn't even break a sweat dismantling opposition, probably the most dominant hockey display ever. He also gave us amazing special teams as an assistant and head coach for the Oilers. The guy is very much an expert tactician. He just happened to coach a trash team in 2013, with injuries and a greedy bonus seeking youngin that he was forced to play big minutes to make it worse.

I wouldn't call him expert, tactically at NA hockey and hockey is much different this side of the pond. But I'm surmising here and I did like what he accomplished with the team the one year and I was in favor of him staying on.

That said he's a bit odd, and has some different kinds of ideas. Its my take this may play better to players just finding their way in the NHL than established players like McD and Drai. Its my take as well that Drai has outgrown the Euro game at this point. I dunno.

I'm open to it, but can't see it happening here. Why would he come back?

He seems a renaissance man looking for new challenges. Is he just keeping all doors open? I'd want somebody committed to a 3 season stint.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Krueger is the kind of coach I think the Oilers need.

Players coach that thinks the game with speed and transition. Rather than a dinosaur that preaches 2-1 games and benches youth at every opportunity to play Lucic more...

Really don't want another coach that plays boring hockey AND loses.

Think Krueger would be good but any coach of that type is good.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
You dont think the guarantee of minutes was a big selling point?

It didn't take a genius to look at our blue line and see it was thin and that there was an opportunity to play more. But you've said twice that he was promised top minutes by Ralph Kruger. Ignoring that half of the Oilers alumni from the 80's team to go out to "whoo" him.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It didn't take a genius to look at our blue line and see it was thin and that there was an opportunity to play more. But you've said twice that he was promised top minutes by Ralph Kruger. Ignoring that half of the Oilers alumni from the 80's team to go out to "whoo" him.
For one, Kruger was fine with Schultz not playing any defense in the end of the year so he could chase his bonuses. He celebrated like he won the cup when he hit them.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
For one, Kruger was fine with Schultz not playing any defense in the end of the year so he could chase his bonuses. He celebrated like he won the cup when he hit them.

Again that's not Kruger promising Schultz anything in the previous off season. He was helping a player reach those goals which were agreed upon between Schultz, Kevin Lowe, Craig Mactavish and Steve Tambellini.

I'll ask one more time. Do you have anything to back up your twice made claim that Ralph Kruger was the one who promised Schultz top pairing minutes in the summer before he signed?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Loved Krueger’s overall philosophy on life and sport, it’s why he can be successful across different sports. But I have a hard time believing someone who focused 100% on Football for the last couple years can come in and understand how to coach in this very different NHL.

Maybe as an associate coach he’d be good paired with someone that knows the ax’s and Os

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Again that's not Kruger promising Schultz anything in the previous off season. He was helping a player reach those goals which were agreed upon between Schultz, Kevin Lowe, Craig Mactavish and Steve Tambellini.

I'll ask one more time. Do you have anything to back up your twice made claim that Ralph Kruger was the one who promised Schultz top pairing minutes in the summer before he signed?
So judging by that, I dont want Kruger as coach, its a team game, not get schultz his bonus' game.

He was costing the team more than he was helping at the end.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Loved Krueger’s overall philosophy on life and sport, it’s why he can be successful across different sports. But I have a hard time believing someone who focused 100% on Football for the last couple years can come in and understand how to coach in this very different NHL.

Maybe as an associate coach he’d be good paired with someone that knows the ax’s and Os

That why his football club is about to be relegated?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
So judging by that, I dont want Kruger as coach, its a team game, not get schultz his bonus' game.

He was costing the team more than he was helping at the end.

Alright, ignore the question cause you know your claim has no basis to it. AlSo you can ignore that he also had dubnyk play to a level of .920 Save percentage, ignore that Yakupov had his only good season under Kruger. Ignore that Gagner, and Hall had their most productive seasons up until that point. He tried to get everyone going, not just one player.

Look if you dont like Kruger, we can agree to disagree. And we all know he likely isn't coming here anyway in any capacity.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Alright, ignore the question cause you know your claim has no basis to it. AlSo you can ignore that he also had dubnyk play to a level of .920 Save percentage, ignore that Yakupov had his only good season under Kruger. Ignore that Gagner, and Hall had their most productive seasons up until that point. He tried to get everyone going, not just one player.

Look if you dont like Kruger, we can agree to disagree. And we all know he likely isn't coming here anyway in any capacity.
Why are you trying to attack me? Why aren't you asking for the guy who threw out that schultz came here cause of Kruger without any evidence of that.

And for those saying he had us close to the playoffs.

We missed the playoffs by 10 points in a 48 game season with a record of 19-22-7

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Why are you trying to attack me? Why aren't you asking for the guy who threw out that schultz came here cause of Kruger without any evidence of that.

And for those saying he had us close to the playoffs.

We missed the playoffs by 10 points in a 48 game season with a record of 19-22-7

We have a defense with 3, maybe 4 better dmen than that one had.

10 pts out of the playoffs was making chicken cordon bleu out of lips and assholes.

He is for sure not coming here though.

Hitchcock is a big fan of his talent though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad