TSN: Ralph Krueger Open to NHL Return

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
He was right about his quote from 2017:

"It just feels like we’ve only just got started here [at Southampton] and especially with the management re-organization we just did, there is kind of like there’s something here where we are going to take it to another level."

That "another level" appears to be relegation from the EPL to Championship.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'd prefer to go back even further in time and bring back that guy who was fired via telegram by the Old Boy's Club.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Dallas Eakins is also open to returning to the NHL....who wouldn't be?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wish him the best, but I doubt whoever the new GM is here would consider hiring him.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I wouldn't be in love with his return, but I wouldn't hate it. As is said above, I thought he did very well with Team Europe at the World Cup, and I think he was neither awful nor amazing as our coach. He coached both teams into a very defensively safe style that relied heavily on special teams to succeed. So kind of like Hitchcock except he's very positive and almost always seems to build good rapport with his players.

We could do worse than hire him (examples include: hiring Carlyle, keeping Hitchcock, hiring Boucher...), but I think we could also do better. I'd rather do a proper search for a young guy with interesting ideas and a good jr/AHL track record, but I'm also skeptical this organization won't just find Eakins 2.0.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Where did this bit about Ralph being a bad coach come from? A lot of young players improved under him. He knew where to put guys to give them a chance to succeed. He gave us a shot at the playoffs, which at the time was our first wiff at it in a few years.

Yes I understand the last 10 games or so the team slumped but that wasn't entirely his fault. I feel.management failed him cause it was no secret the team needed some help/reinforcements to stay in the playoff race that year and all they could come up with was a 4th rounder for Matheson.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Where did this bit about Ralph being a bad coach come from? A lot of young players improved under him. He knew where to put guys to give them a chance to succeed. He gave us a shot at the playoffs, which at the time was our first wiff at it in a few years.

Yes I understand the last 10 games or so the team slumped but that wasn't entirely his fault. I feel.management failed him cause it was no secret the team needed some help/reinforcements to stay in the playoff race that year and all they could come up with was a 4th rounder for Matheson.

Weird how people still crap on Krueger for that season. He was forced by management to play Schultz top pairing minutes because they promised him the best chance to get all his bonuses (TOI is one of the Schedule A triggers). So, in that last 1.5 months he had a top pairing D that completely quit on playing any defense because he was trying to get his Schedule B bonus, which he got, leading to the biggest player celebration on ice we saw until we won a round in the playoffs in 2017. If that wasn't enough of a handicap, his top C Nuge played with a bum shoulder all year, which got extra bad in the last month after a Sedin jumped on Nuge's back. His C's were getting injured all year. The D depth was garbage. He had to baby Yakupov and got 10 times more out of him than any other coach managed to. Our special teams were great with less than what McLellan failed miserably with.

I can't see how anyone could still deny that he didn't get the most he could out of that lineup. They had no business being anywhere close to a playoff spot that year. I know at the time we all thought Tambo and Lowe were building something good and we had high expectations, but geez, I think we should all know better than that by now.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Weird how people still crap on Krueger for that season. He was forced by management to play Schultz top pairing minutes because they promised him the best chance to get all his bonuses (TOI is one of the Schedule A triggers). So, in that last 1.5 months he had a top pairing D that completely quit on playing any defense because he was trying to get his Schedule B bonus, which he got, leading to the biggest player celebration on ice we saw until we won a round in the playoffs in 2017. If that wasn't enough of a handicap, his top C Nuge played with a bum shoulder all year, which got extra bad in the last month after a Sedin jumped on Nuge's back. His C's were getting injured all year. The D depth was garbage. He had to baby Yakupov and got 10 times more out of him than any other coach managed to. Our special teams were great with less than what McLellan failed miserably with.

I can't see how anyone could still deny that he didn't get the most he could out of that lineup. They had no business being anywhere close to a playoff spot that year. I know at the time we all thought Tambo and Lowe were building something good and we had high expectations, but geez, I think we should all know better than that by now.

The Yakupov part is the huge IMO. Playing a player to their strengths was Ralph's best attribute. I could easily see a guy like Puljujarvi turning around under a guy like Ralph.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
My only grief with Nelson was his track record for developing our prospects were crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad