Ralph Krueger hired to coach the Sabres Part 2

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Krueger isn't the problem. System is good and the team is WAY better at dealing with adversity, eg: coming back from getting scored on. Line combinations generally work, and he makes smart in game adjustments.

The problem is the Sabres have poor puck management on the back end, and no net front power forward. That's a Botterill thing.
I agree. The problem is with the personnel.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I just now see the situation from one of my favorite films “Moneyball”, when the hero of Brad Pitt had to trade baseball player, so that the coach stopped putting him in roster and put another player in, I think we need to do the same with McCabe and Risto, only Botterill is not Billy Beane .

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
special teams performance is a direct indictment on the coaching staff

I liked your comment last night about the fact that they do not play a consistent style on the PK. They don’t know what the f*** they’re doing and if the forwards are playing one method and the defenseman decide they’re going to shift around because a couple of them are dumb as stumps and their positioning is f***ing trash? Goals against.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The caveat to that though is why our bad players being continually rolled out in roles they cannot handle? At this point dialing up Jokers minutes should very much be a thing
We have too many bad players. It's like trying to use a hard drive with a reallocated sector count warning. I said after the Bruins game A talented team could pull names out of 5 hats LW, C, RW, LD, RD and have better lines combos than what a Sabres coach could angst over for days.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We have too many bad players. It's like trying to use a hard drive with a reallocated sector count warning. I said after the Bruins game A talented team could pull names out of 5 hats LW, C, RW, LD, RD and have better lines combos than what a Sabres coach could angst over for days.

I like your analogy. :laugh:

The GM refuses to tinker.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
PP is 3% in the month of November and the PK is 69.2%..both dead last! Last year our PP was 19.5% and our PK was 80.9%. Something HAS to change in that regard. Fix your special teams and this team will start winning again, the 5v5 play is there.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
PP is 3% in the month of November and the PK is 69.2%..both dead last! Last year our PP was 19.5% and our PK was 80.9%. Something HAS to change in that regard. Fix your special teams and this team will start winning again, the 5v5 play is there.

This is true.

PKs figured out that Reinhart likes to move around, and therefore they can clog the high slot and take away both Skinner and Olofsson. The Ristolainen slot experiment allowed Reinhart to move and opened up the cross ice pass. Get a net front guy and it'll work itself out.

For the PK, they were much better when they plyed the Czech press with the high forward playing aggressive.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
special teams performance is a direct indictment on the coaching staff
Yes it is. I’d love to know who runs the PP. It seemed much better last night. Moving the puck very well. Maybe that’s a sign Granato has taken it over and better days are ahead. One can dream at least.

As for the PK, I believe that’s Smith’s thing.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Krueger seems to be getting some hate, I feel like I am always at opposite wave lengths with this board. Housley was universally loved and I hated him, Krueger falling out of favor and I still believe in him :laugh:

Reactions: Abraham de Lacy

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Krueger seems to be getting some hate, I feel like I am always at opposite wave lengths with this board. Housley was universally loved and I hated him, Krueger falling out of favor and I still believe in him :laugh:

Think every coach makes funky lineup decisions but I've generally liked Krueger. We're a +3 at 5 on 5 / 4 on 4. Baby steps :laugh:! Granted its still somewhat early in the season.

Housley in comparison last season the team was a -37 at 5 on 5 / 4 on 4.

WTB a better PK/PP though.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Universally loved? The first post that I asked that he be fired was October of his first season. I had doubts, and his team confirmed them. LOL

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
When both Krueger and Housley suffer the same lapses by the players; it’s not coaching it’s the coaches. Krueger hasn’t had the time Housley did to nail a message into the floppy disk that is most of our players hockey iQ. (For the kids out there a floppy disk was a big flat black square you used to have to put work on because computers could only store a small amount of data and needed it to be read from other sources)

I’m not down in Krueger, he has shit to work with. But I am on the side that thinks his comments about the physical side of the game were too pansy-ish

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
When both Krueger and Housley suffer the same lapses by the players; it’s not coaching it’s the coaches. Krueger hasn’t had the time Housley did to nail a message into the floppy disk that is most of our players hockey iQ. (For the kids out there a floppy disk was a big flat black square you used to have to put work on because computers could only store a small amount of data and needed it to be read from other sources)

I’m not down in Krueger, he has **** to work with. But I am on the side that thinks his comments about the physical side of the game were too pansy-ish
You can store the whole teams IQ on a floppy disk (the thin ones)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Despite the fall, I still like Krueger.

Whoever's doing the PK is failing hard in style, imo, and of course, Botts can go whenever, but Ralph is good in my book right now.

Reactions: debaser66

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
It's not like Krueger has many good options for sending out goons.

Leadership skills and gameplan fails if the players lack the talent to execute.
Yes, you can develop players but very few on the Sabres roster actually have some potential.

Give Krueger a 2C, some good fodder for the bottom 6 and shjt down d before passing judgement.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Thinking ahead to June 2020
If Krueger had listened to us VO would have been separated from Eichel and wouldn't have scored 30 goals and won the Calder. And Vesey would have been tossed aside rather than becoming the 25 goal scoring, two-way player that was a beast in the playoffs. And how about that Mittelstadt? Well you can't expect everything to work out. :laugh:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres coach Ralph Krueger's message still resonates with Devils' Taylor Hall

Krueger was fired after only 48 games and was out of the NHL for six years until he was hired by the Buffalo Sabres in May. Hall didn't agree with the Oilers' decision.

Taylor Hall talks about playing for Ralph Krueger in Edmonton before Monday Night's game:

"It was shorter than it should have been. I had a great experience with him. Two years he was an assistant coach, and he looked after the D. Even then, speaking with him, obviously his attitude was evident. The way he looks at life and hockey was always positive. It was always great chatting with him. We had the lockout-shortened year where he was head coach and really enjoyed playing for him, whether it was his systems or the environment he created at the arena. I thought it was always great to be around the arena then.

I’m really happy to see him back in the NHL. I think that’s where he belongs. I know they’re not doing as well as they want lately, but I think he’s the right guy for the job here.

We had a lot of younger guys and when you have a younger team like that, it’s important to create an environment that guys know how to come and work hard and enjoy themselves, but also you have to compete and play hard. He brought that. … He only got 48 games and in a really tough conference. We hovered around .500 and had some players on the team do really well that year, whether it was our goalie or guys like myself. He seemed to bring the best out of guys and you’re seeing [Jack] Eichel take another step this year. Whether it’s Ralph or not, I’m sure he’s enjoyed playing for him.

If I could take anything, and this may sound weird, but if I were to coach some day, I’d want to have an attitude like he did. As you go through the league and you have different coaches, different assistant coaches, you think, 'If I was ever a coach or be in that position what would you want to do and how would you want to send your message.' He was a guy that not every meeting was roses, but at the end of the day, you were there to play hockey and you were there to be a great teammate. I think that’s what I’d take from him."

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Hall just shows with his whole appearance how he wants go in Buffalo to Krueger probably he’s even ready to sign a contract 7x5. :)

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
That was a ringing endorsement from Hall. I don’t think we will, but it sounds like we’d stand a chance to pick him up in the off-season based on his relationship/reverence for Kreuger alone.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Honeymoon phase over? Played Bogo nearly 10 minutes in the 1st period. Botterill and *insert coach's name* is the worst GM/coaching duo I have witnessed since following the team heavily in 2005-2006.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Fire him and tell him to take his coach who saw Bogosian play last game and McCabe play all year and decided they needed to play MORE with him.

Hire a f***ing chimp and one of those pendulum birds to replace them. The average of good decisions can only improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad