Ralph Krueger hired to coach the Sabres Part 2

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Krueger on Skinner:

"When a shooting percentage is down 4% from a career average, you try to work on why is that, what are the better ways to do it. For us, it's just continued hard work and get solutions. That's what we do as a team, whether our power play is not working, whether we're taking goals on the rush or an individual player is not producing to the numbers he'd like to, you try to work with them on pathways that they can get there and that's what we're doing with Jeff."

"When a player is not producing, nobody is happy. The player is not happy, we're not happy and we're trying to find the solution and we work hard at it."

This is my beef with Ralph, generally. He talks a nice game but he's kind of full of shit.

Really Ralph? You're working on finding all those pathways to success? How about playing him with skilled players?

Would that pathway make sense?

Guess not.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
How the hell do they work with him when our two most competent centers, Jack and Larry, and Skinner, do not play with any of them.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I'm listening to the segment now. Ralph mentioned that he believes the Eichel line is one of the 5 best lines in the NHL and he asked why would you break that up.

Howard really dug in on the Skinner usage issue and it sounds like Ralph just doesn't want to tinker with that Eichel line as it has been this year.

He mentioned the coaches meet for 4 hours every morning before the players show up, reviewing film and talking about ways to improve the team, line combos, etc.

It sounds to me like he is just stuck on this notion that the Eichel line cannot be toyed with...which is a mistake IMO.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm listening to the segment now. Ralph mentioned that he believes the Eichel line is one of the 5 best lines in the NHL and he asked why would you break that up.

Howard really dug in on the Skinner usage issue and it sounds like Ralph just doesn't want to tinker with that Eichel line as it has been this year.

He mentioned the coaches meet for 4 hours every morning before the players show up, reviewing film and talking about ways to improve the team, line combos, etc.

It sounds to me like he is just stuck on this notion that the Eichel line cannot be toyed with...which is a mistake IMO.

I can totally understand not tinkering with the ORE line. I completely get it.

But holy cow -- Skinner worked well with Johansson earlier in the year. He worked well with Johan earlier in the year. Why he hasn't tried to get Skinner going with either (or preferably both) of those 2 is beyond my comprehension.

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Larsson-MoJo
Girgensons-Lazar-Okposo
Sheary-ERod-Vesey

It really doesn't seem that hard to me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Oiler fans said stubborn. They weren't wrong.

The ESG production from last year to this, when comparing Skinner to Olofsson has to be taken into account. Jeff outpaced Olofsson in that regard last season compared to this. Perhaps it would make sense to work Jeff back into that line and put Olofsson to work on PP1 and another line. Granted, it wouldn't be pretty having to try to rely upon anyone to find him in his wheelhouse so... yeah.

Lindy used to talk about finding complementary pairs of players. Without splitting up the three offensive players who are working well, it's left one all by himself. And if that is the case, he needs to have a defensive heavier lifter in order to make that work, just like he did in Carolina.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Doesn't explain why he's refused to put Skinner back with Larsson, our other competent NHL center and a player Skinner looked to have good chemistry with.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Krueger on Skinner:

"When a shooting percentage is down 4% from a career average, you try to work on why is that, what are the better ways to do it. For us, it's just continued hard work and get solutions. That's what we do as a team, whether our power play is not working, whether we're taking goals on the rush or an individual player is not producing to the numbers he'd like to, you try to work with them on pathways that they can get there and that's what we're doing with Jeff."

"When a player is not producing, nobody is happy. The player is not happy, we're not happy and we're trying to find the solution and we work hard at it."

This is my beef with Ralph, generally. He talks a nice game but he's kind of full of shit.

Really Ralph? You're working on finding all those pathways to success? How about playing him with skilled players?

Would that pathway make sense?

Guess not.
thank you for posting his reply
In a way I have an Housley-esque feeling just that he is more articulated but without any substance or answers like the last Buffoon.
Typical management sweet talk

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Krueger on Skinner:

That's the most Ted Nolan answer ever. Things are going right? WORK HARDER!

Reactions: Chainshot

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
This franchise has been going nowhere for years, but somehow they are really scared to just try things to find out if they may work. Nice that the first line is "working", but I'd rather try to get more working so you know we could win some more games and stuff.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

46 xGF%

"One of the 5 best lines in the NHL." Not. Even. Close.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Oiler fans said stubborn. They weren't wrong.

The ESG production from last year to this, when comparing Skinner to Olofsson has to be taken into account. Jeff outpaced Olofsson in that regard last season compared to this. Perhaps it would make sense to work Jeff back into that line and put Olofsson to work on PP1 and another line. Granted, it wouldn't be pretty having to try to rely upon anyone to find him in his wheelhouse so... yeah.

Lindy used to talk about finding complementary pairs of players. Without splitting up the three offensive players who are working well, it's left one all by himself. And if that is the case, he needs to have a defensive heavier lifter in order to make that work, just like he did in Carolina.

has there ever been a coach NOT described as stubborn?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad