Ralph Krueger hired to coach the Sabres Part 2

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Gonna party poop and suggest E-Rod.

You're right, actually, and it makes me wonder if E-rod is kinda like Ennis-lite. Decent tools and alright on a bad team, but in an actual structured system he can't just go play hockey and thus looks bad. Obviously there are differences between he and Ennis, but hopefully the comparison makes some sense- they looked good when surrounded by badness, but maybe E-rod just can't fit into what Krueger's doing.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Ralph Krueger Interview – Howard & Jeremy (10/30/19)

Posted on October 30, 2019 by Ian Ott | Leave a comment

October 30, 2019
Ralph Krueger
Howard & Jeremy (8 a.m)

10-30 Sabres head coach Ralph Krueger with Howard and Sal (15:19)

Howard Simon: And we are joined by the head coach of the Buffalo Sabres on our West Herr Hotline. Ralph, it’s Howard and Sal in this morning for Jeremy. Thanks for coming on with us. Good morning, sir.

Ralph Krueger: Good morning. How is everybody?

HS: You’re 9-2-2, Ralph. You keep this up, I’m in a good mood, you know? It’s a very simple formula: you win, talk show hosts are happy. It’s really very simple.

RK: Yeah, no, we’ve had a good month. It was a month of confirmation how we want to play and a month of learning and growing and now it’s important that we continue on that path. Small picture, try and get better every day, but definitely pleased with the effort thus far in October, that’s for sure.

HS: You mention confirmation, maybe that’s a good place to start. Jason Botterill was on our station the other day with our afternoon guys, Ralph, and their first question was, it was funny, it’s simple, but sure, they said, ‘Is your team good?’ And basically, ‘How can you tell?’ So I thought, ‘You know what, I’m going to ask the head coach that.’ Is your team good? At night when you’re alone with your thoughts and you think, ‘Huh, you know what, these guys are good,’ how would you be able to tell from a coaching standpoint if your team is good?

RK: Well we would have to define ‘good,’ first of all. For me it begins with the commitment to a plan and the buy-in that the team brings because a good team for me is a team that’s playing and working towards its potential, whatever that potential may be. We’re still, certainly, too early into the season to understand or to see what the potential is. I think when you’re 20, 25 games in you’ve got a better read than now, but we’re on the right track to be able to assess that. I would say that the commitment’s outstanding, the attitude here since Sept. 13 from the first ice practice through to everything we’re doing on and off the ice, the way the communication needs to happen in a good team environment, it’s all there. So we’re excited, we’re having fun, this group is hungry to continue to improve and with that focus — for my definition of good — I would have to give you a check mark there.

Sal Capaccio: Coach, your team has played 13 games only, what, five teams in the league have played as many games. How do you think that’s impacted them as a group and how do you have to massage things as far as practice, their schedule and things like that?

RK: Well 13 (games) in 24 (days) to start the season, we all looked at that with some serious respect and were wondering how we were going to manage that. I’m so pleased with the work off the ice the that players have been doing and how we’ve been able to leave out quite a few normal ice practices, whether it’s on pregame days or other days where we need to do things off ice to keep our minds and bodies fresh. We learned how to manage that. We knew it was coming at us, and we know it’s coming at us again after the Sweden trip. I thought the group has managed it very well, the energy and the focus. To be able to win twice off back-to-backs in tough situations in San Jose and in Detroit, there’s a lot of things you have to like with how we were able to handle the pace. And now, with four games in a longer stretch of time, we have a different challenge and it’s a challenge of remaining focused and staying on topic. I believe the extra spaces that we have now between games will help to really bring a lot of energy into them. You know with this first stretch of 13 in 24, we have to be pleased with the constant and continuous effort of the guys.

HS: You have — you mentioned the stretch you’re in now, so you got like two games in 11 days I think it is before you go and play the two games in Sweden. How do you approach this? Do you have lots of practice time? Do you look at it as a mini training camp? What do you do when you have a very small number of games in a two-week stretch?

RK: Well above all we’re able to do a little bit more lifting off the ice because the power lifting that we’re doing in the gym and our high performance team loves this kind of a space so we can add some strength to what will be a hard run through November into December. I think that that’s one of the major opportunities we have. On the ice, we’re going to continue to keep the picture small. Today we’re coming off a day off, which has been rare and it’s important that we work on some fundamentals. And with the back-to-back coming at us this weekend, there’s not really a lull until you get into Sweden. But, yeah, the practice times will be wonderful for us to be able to work on some systems and concepts, principles. We’ll be able to get some of our — we’re looking at Brandon Montour re-entering into the team. [Marco] Scandella should be back in the next few games. We’re going to have some increased competition, whether it’s on defense or up front, we continue to have a tight competition for the role. So lots of good things to work on, but overall I would say the most opportunity will be off ice, actually, to increase our strength and fitness and some of the preventative work we’re doing there.

HS: I was thinking about what to do with my free nights since there aren’t as many Sabre games to watch, Ralph. Power lifting was not on the list, but I’ll take it under advisement.
RK: It’s an opportunity.

HS: Yeah sure, unless lifting donuts is considered power lifting, then yeah, just check that box.

HS: I did want to ask you about injuries. Scandella and [Jimmy] Vesey, let’s start there. What’s going on with both of them at this point?

RK: Well there’s re-entry here and both — Vesey for sure is very close to re-entering here and I would say Scandella is still a few days away. But we’re happy with the progression. They’re both short term. Once again, getting a full healthy group back helps us a lot with what’s coming up in November.

HS: And you mentioned Montour. Would he be ready to play this weekend?

RK: Brandon is close, so we’ll see how the next few days go and we’ll make a call on that on Friday.

SC: Once that happens you are going to have, you know, you have a plethora or defensemen you can chose from. You just talked about competition. How does that manifest itself? Is it practice? Is it game performance as you go? I don’t know, power lifting? Who can squat more? I don’t know, Coach. How does it manifest itself through that competition?

RK: Well it’s always multiple factors that come into effect. I mean, for sure you look at the pairings and/or lines, the way they need to be put together and the roles that we need to fill during the game. Individual performances will always be the major factor. We want to get the best possible squad together for the game and for the team, the opposition that we’re playing will play into it. I would say there’s multiple factors that come together, but usually it’s pretty clear on a day-to-day basis in the end with the group that we think, the 20 players that we need to give ourselves the best chance to win on the day is what we’ll be doing.

HS: There’s some guys I want to ask you about, Ralph. Let’s start with Rasmus Dahlin. Could you give us your opinion, your assessment of his play from center ice back into your zone at this point?

RK: Well I mean that’s a pretty detailed assessment because there’s a lot of things happening in our half of the ice. There’s the game with and there’s the game without the puck and we’re — you know, he’s a very young defenseman, is continuing to prime how he, the best path for him to bring his amazing skill set into the game. He’s committed to playing defense, he’s committed to finding his work. Steve Smith works with him on a daily basis in a very positive environment. He’s a motivated kid that, with the puck, we all see the opportunity there and he launches a lot of really good transition in our game. He’ll jump into the play the way we like our D to do when we do gain possession. But on both sides of the puck I can say improvement is a word that comes out every day. Weekly to weekly we’re excited with what we’re seeing and above all I always speak about the person he is and the coachability we feel that we have working together with him. I’ll say he’s a fun kid to work with and there’s still a lot of improvement, which we all know for a 19-year-old, and it’s going to be good to see that continue to grow.

HS: He had a rough night in New York the other night and I was curious, the last couple of game you’ve had him with [Henri] Jokiharju. I was wondering, Jokiharju’s played really well, but he’s a young defenseman too. Can you give any insight into when you’re trying to figure out what to do, or your defense pairings, why Dahlin with Jokiharju at that point? Because it’s worked out fine.

RK: I mean we had a rough night as a team in New York and, again, important was that we rebounded and answered the bell in Detroit. But [Jokiharju] has been a very positive surprise in this season thus far. He’s an excellent two-way defenseman. He also is able to make a play under pressure and is extremely committed to his work without the puck and defensively. You can see that he’s got a little more experience under his belt, but, you know, together the two of them have been exciting to watch. We’ll be moving in and out of different pairs and different lines through the season, nothing is set in stone. At the moment, we felt [Jokiharju] was the right partner, but we’ll reassess that as we head towards Washington.

SC: Can you just talk about your goaltending a little bit, what you think you’ve gotten from both Carter [Hutton] and Linus [Ullmark]?

RK: Well, first of all, they’re an excellent duo. They’re cheering for each other when they’re not playing, which helps a lot. The spirit in the team in all the different areas has been really high. The performance has been outstanding. They’re giving us a chance to win every night. Maybe there was a lot of people looking at [the goals allowed] the other night, but you had to look at [Hutton] giving us a chance to win that game. We had multiple chances against Arizona to, first of all, pull away from them and then even when the game was tight to actually win it because of the goaltending performance we got. And that’s what they do for us on a daily basis; they give us a chance to win, they’ve been solid, they’ve really worked the puck well too, which helps on our offensive breakouts out of the zone. Mike Bales has done an excellent job there with the goalies and that’s definitely a good duo, which is what you need in the NHL today.

SC: Coach, you know, Saturday is ‘70s night down at KeyBank Center, right? You’ve got anything, you going to be behind the bench in some sort of getup? Some disco wear or something?

HS: Leisure suit. I’m calling for a leisure suit.

SC: Bell bottoms? What are you doing?

RK: Well I have to say that I didn’t know that until now, so that’s proof that I’m living in the day. Today my day started with an hour with the coaches, then I get to have some fun with you guys for a stretch and we’ll deal with Saturday when it comes. I definitely love the ‘70s music, and that’s great information because that’s a decade that I grew up in. Not too many of our listeners probably can say that. Thanks for that heads up, guys, I’ll try to come up with something.

SC: I’ll be expecting the John Travolta, Saturday Night [Fever]. The walk into the arena.

HS: The white leisure suit?

SC: The walk into the arena, that’s all we’re asking. We can get a little footage of that.

RK: I do remember wearing some very wide bottom pants with stripes down them in the ‘70s. I better not pull those out for the game. I think the generation of players I’m coaching now might have a little problem with that, although I do know they love listening to ‘70s music here. That’s very comforting that this generation has also understood the depths of the music of that era.

HS: Now you guys, do you guys have a ‘Gloria,’ like the equivalent of the Blues win a game and they play ‘Gloria’ in the locker room? Do you have a song after wins?

RK: You know what, I can’t even — they’ve been playing with a few different options there. They were looking for something new this year. So I’ll let you guys know next week when I identify what that is.

HS: I heard after one of your wins, I heard Bachman Turner Overdrive ‘Taking Care of Business’ and I honestly thought, ‘I wonder if that’s like their song now.’

RK: Yeah I mean BTO’s also from Winnipeg, my hometown. So yeah, I saw them multiple times growing up as a kid. It would definitely be a good band with Jason Botterill coming from Winnipeg too, why not?

HS: Hey before we let you go, somebody tweeted and asked us to ask you if your book is available in English?

RK: No, actually in that day I was living in the German-French world, so it’s available in German and French. I don’t know how many copies there are out there. But, no, it is not available in English.

HS: You might say get a few copies sold to Sabre fans if someone can translate it.

SC: Google Translate, folks. Google Translate. We’re okay, we have the internet these days.

HS: Ralph thanks for coming on with us. Congratulations on the start and continued success.

RK: Okay, thank you and have a good weekend, and to all Sabres fans, let’s enjoy the Washington, New York Islanders game coming up and the ‘70s Night here on Saturday.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
You're right, actually, and it makes me wonder if E-rod is kinda like Ennis-lite. Decent tools and alright on a bad team, but in an actual structured system he can't just go play hockey and thus looks bad. Obviously there are differences between he and Ennis, but hopefully the comparison makes some sense- they looked good when surrounded by badness, but maybe E-rod just can't fit into what Krueger's doing.

Obviuisly i would not change anything until they lose two in a row in regulation.. So..when (if) we do.. Lets see the two forwards we sacrifice to baal.. And find a way to bring wilson . tage .. A defensmen (w the mojo plan) or cousins asplund pekar.up to see what nhk talent can hang w one of three lines better than besey.( who i admit started to find hus gane before hisvexit) .erod shobot. .. Can capn jack elevate his pals w a rookie.. To give us two legit lines before trading for help..

Id prefer the pomminvile experience for < 20 final career energy .games with skinner jo .Or jack and vo .. Stick sobo in the box.. Give Thompson a chance rotating in if he keeps earning it.. Put reinhart w mitts and sheary ..see if jack can carry the orphan stepchildren for 15 20 games ..fresh legged erofld vesey pomm rotsting Skinner double shift.. Maybe give cousins his early 9 game stint to see if we can have 4 lines that are matchup problems lose those that cant hang offense/defense.. If not.. We cash in our chips..although not the risto one unless we return a thachuk type scorer..good luck.. .. We are cloae to having 12 and 6plus that belong on any nhl roster.. 2 away..maybe one if someone steps up..

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Obviuisly i would not change anything until they lose two in a row in regulation.. So..when (if) we do.. Lets see the two forwards we sacrifice to baal.. And find a way to bring wilson . tage .. A defensmen (w the mojo plan) or cousins asplund pekar.up to see what nhk talent can hang w one of three lines better than besey.( who i admit started to find hus gane before hisvexit) .erod shobot. .. Can capn jack elevate his pals w a rookie.. To give us two legit lines before trading for help..

Id prefer the pomminvile experience for < 20 final career energy .games with skinner jo .Or jack and vo .. Stick sobo in the box.. Give Thompson a chance rotating in if he keeps earning it.. Put reinhart w mitts and sheary ..see if jack can carry the orphan stepchildren for 15 20 games ..fresh legged erofld vesey pomm rotsting Skinner double shift.. Maybe give cousins his early 9 game stint to see if we can have 4 lines that are matchup problems lose those that cant hang offense/defense.. If not.. We cash in our chips..although not the risto one unless we return a thachuk type scorer..good luck.. .. We are cloae to having 12 and 6plus that belong on any nhl roster.. 2 away..maybe one if someone steps up..

They can't recall Cozens without extraordinary injury circumstances.

Ristolainen isn't returning a Tkachuk.

Tage is in the AHL for the near-term.

Wilson lost a roster spot to Sobotka. Consider that for a moment.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Last year, a criticism of Botts was that we kept Tage up at the NHL level - ostensibly because Botts needed to save face in the wake of the big trade. The cries of Tage needing to be in the AHL were rampant here. Now - and it's not just the poster above, so I'm not picking on anyone - Tage has scored 18 points in 18 games over this season and last for the Amerks and just like that - he's ready!

Usually everyone wants to marinate, slow cook, stew,pot roast, or dry age prospects. Seems like this year, the microwave is best. Interesting

Reactions: Buffaloed

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
They can't recall Cozens without extraordinary injury circumstances.

Ristolainen isn't returning a Tkachuk.

Tage is in the AHL for the near-term.

Wilson lost a roster spot to Sobotka. Consider that for a moment.

I realize we arent getting a thachuck..thats why i dont want to move him.. I guess my question is.. After and only aftee they lose two in a row in regulation.. Who do you think has played themselve out of the lineup.. ..
Who gets a shot..?

I didnt know cousins couldnt come up .. I mentioned him and pekar as they serm to be playing themselves out of junior but wouldn't want to overwhelm them and ruin them i just couldnt see anyone to compete in our lineup beside who we have seen already..

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I realize we arent getting a thachuck..thats why i dont want to move him.. I guess my question is.. After and only aftee they lose two in a row in regulation.. Who do you think has played themselve out of the lineup.. ..
Who gets a shot..?

I didnt know cousins couldnt come up .. I mentioned him and pekar as they serm to be playing themselves out of junior but wouldn't want to overwhelm them and ruin them i just couldnt see anyone to compete in our lineup beside who we have seen already..

Junior assignees can not be directly recalled any longer, there has to be injury issues driving it. Thank Scotty Bowman's misuse of that system with guys like John Tucker and Kenny Priestlay in the '80's for that one.

As for losing two in a row, I don't hold to that. I don't even hold to keeping winning lineups together if someone is not playing well. They need to be looking outside the organization at the moment since Smith has not started well in Rochester and the plan appears to be to cook Thompson in the same way they did with Olofsson last year.

This was why some of us were advocating biting the bullet to find a home for Vlad elsewhere this past summer, prior to teams soaking up their available cap space to the degree that half the league is now dipping into LTIR money to be compliant. That means dollars out will have to be to a team that can take it and likely will cost the team something additional.

This isn't another placeholder season. There is no reason to continue to wait. They have several holes that need filling and they will shortly have additional NHL-level bodies with which to fill them.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Several holes.. We agree

Smith is not an nhl player? Probably not.

No Tage call up.probably makes sensw til he consistently does what they ask like vo .

No Ellie rather have vlad.
I am happy to give Wilson his shot .over erod and am not sold on vesey being anything other than 13th after sobotka is gone..

they all are suspect offensively at least wilson might forecheck and finish hits if he isnt finished..

What about asplund as a winger for jack or mojo..

What about the talk of d conversion?

So who do you trade if we need physical risto who looks alright on second pp..?

I agree they need to act before losing just like they needed to last year.. I just read into kr giving veterans their chance if we were winning
But in the meantime til montour proves a healthy top 4.. We need to bring in multiple players from inside until they aquire an answrr . right?
i agree with all you say and thanks for info about cousins etc..didnt know Bowman angle..

So who ? before a trade . and i guess... Whats you gut on trade and time frame..
Looks to me like they want to see everyone through 25 games according to transcribed kr interview. So thats December .. ?

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I remember Krueger saying something to the effect that he didn't think hitting played much of a role in the modern game. He said he didn't want his players looking to make hits but it was ok if the opportunity presented itself. On the other hand he mentioned the need to have enough grit on the roster. I'd like a reporter to revisit this topic with Krueger. I don't think they have enough grit and I wonder if this attitude towards hitting leads to passivity. I'd like to see the team be more assertive.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I remember Krueger saying something to the effect that he didn't think hitting played much of a role in the modern game. He said he didn't want his players looking to make hits but it was ok if the opportunity presented itself. On the other hand he mentioned the need to have enough grit on the roster. I'd like a reporter to revisit this topic with Krueger. I don't think they have enough grit and I wonder if this attitude towards hitting leads to passivity. I'd like to see the team be more assertive.
This not directed at you but rather something to give context. When I was 10 I was fortunate to attend the Vic Teal hockey camp in St Catherines. Vic was a long time hockey guy in Canada and was behind the bench when the Blackhawks juniors played there. His sons Skip and Skeeter ran the camp along with Marv Edwards from the golden seals. I was a large mammal from birth, so I had to play with the 13/14 yo for fear I would hurt my peers.

On the day it came to teach checking and puck retrieval, I was singled out. Physically less developed and only having been in organized hockey for 2 years, I was essentially meat. I was told to go and get the puck from a bigger kid in the boards. He Ristoed me 3 times and I was on my ass after each.

Edwards then took over. He explained that checking was misinterpreted by most. It did not involve blowing someone up but rather stemming flow. With the right technique and positioning any player of any size could angle an opponent into a position where the defender dictated what happened next. Cut back and the defender can light him up. Charge through and the d can impede the progress and wash him off along the boards and gain possession. Chip it and likewise the defender can kill flow and allow a teammate to gain possession or at least stem the other team’s possession.

The key was momentum and flow. A good solid hit should kill the opponent’s mo but not yours. Conversely, they talked about avoiding the loss of flow on offense by understanding when you were going into no man’s land with few options. This was in the hey day of very physical hockey. The Broad Street bullies were cup champs, hell the Sabres had some boppers as well. But the fundamental was still maintaining or disrupting flow.

I think RK is referencing this in terms of grit. Do you consistently tilt the ice in your favor offensively or defensively by committing to the fundamentals. Yes you have to body check at times, but not every one needs to be a Campbell/Umberger bomb. And in front of the net, controlling the opponent’s stick on d and not having your stick or position controlled were keys. These were the skirmishes that dictated the outcome of the battle. Jmho.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This not directed at you but rather something to give context. When I was 10 I was fortunate to attend the Vic Teal hockey camp in St Catherines. Vic was a long time hockey guy in Canada and was behind the bench when the Blackhawks juniors played there. His sons Skip and Skeeter ran the camp along with Marv Edwards from the golden seals. I was a large mammal from birth, so I had to play with the 13/14 yo for fear I would hurt my peers.

On the day it came to teach checking and puck retrieval, I was singled out. Physically less developed and only having been in organized hockey for 2 years, I was essentially meat. I was told to go and get the puck from a bigger kid in the boards. He Ristoed me 3 times and I was on my ass after each.

Edwards then took over. He explained that checking was misinterpreted by most. It did not involve blowing someone up but rather stemming flow. With the right technique and positioning any player of any size could angle an opponent into a position where the defender dictated what happened next. Cut back and the defender can light him up. Charge through and the d can impede the progress and wash him off along the boards and gain possession. Chip it and likewise the defender can kill flow and allow a teammate to gain possession or at least stem the other team’s possession.

The key was momentum and flow. A good solid hit should kill the opponent’s mo but not yours. Conversely, they talked about avoiding the loss of flow on offense by understanding when you were going into no man’s land with few options. This was in the hey day of very physical hockey. The Broad Street bullies were cup champs, hell the Sabres had some boppers as well. But the fundamental was still maintaining or disrupting flow.

I think RK is referencing this in terms of grit. Do you consistently tilt the ice in your favor offensively or defensively by committing to the fundamentals. Yes you have to body check at times, but not every one needs to be a Campbell/Umberger bomb. And in front of the net, controlling the opponent’s stick on d and not having your stick or position controlled were keys. These were the skirmishes that dictated the outcome of the battle. Jmho.

I was taught some similar concepts - that physical engagement to impede or dislodge the opponent from the puck also goes hand in hand with knocking them out of position. People recovering from being rubbed out along the wall or from a stop after being engaged are then in a footrace over short distances to re-establish position and potential free pucks. Buffalo has rarely ever committed to that. Interestingly, the co-cap teams seemed to do it the most, and it was evident in their play when they wouldn't because they had the quick skaters who could take advantage of short area burst to get to 50-50 pucks and win them.

Then there is the imposition side of things, the physical punishment side of things, which Ralph may have been trying to tell the voice of bar-bound Sabre fandom who seem to fall into the same category as GR Whiner Line folks who all went everyone to hit to hurt everything, particularly if someone is big.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Just wanted to say this is a fantastic post.

So often people casually lump together fighting and big hits with terms like grit or physicality (and for some reason, much of the analytics community really seems to take issue with these terms). I really don't care one bit for fighting or big hits, but the physicality has been lacking on this team for nearly 20 years. I continually think of just one example - a single man forecheck; the concept here is to engage in a 1-on-1 battle and disrupt the opponent. I don't need everyone on our team to run the opponent through the boards. However, almost every single one of our forwards will either cheat a passing lane before curling away, or try and cut off the boards. I see our forwards do this constantly, curl into a forechecking position before stopping short and anticipating the reversal along the boards. Sometimes these little plays work, but if no one ever takes the body, the opponent knows they can hold onto the puck and wait to see what you're going to do before they make their decision with the puck. I just need a few players that are willing to physically engage and won't give that free pass, then the opponent will know they can't just hold onto the puck without consequence.

When Jack has the puck along the walls he'll often use his body to shield guys, knowing he's bigger and stronger and can hold them off before making a play. But in the OT loss to CBus earlier in the year Nick Foligno hammered him, causing the turnover and resulting in the game winner. We could really use one or two Foligno's...

That being said, I still don't think we're seeing the final product. If we can universally agree that it can take 20-30 games for a new staff and system to settle in, then once that happens (i.e. they start playing without thinking) Kreuger can try and get some of these guys to play a bit out of character.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I was taught some similar concepts - that physical engagement to impede or dislodge the opponent from the puck also goes hand in hand with knocking them out of position. People recovering from being rubbed out along the wall or from a stop after being engaged are then in a footrace over short distances to re-establish position and potential free pucks. Buffalo has rarely ever committed to that. Interestingly, the co-cap teams seemed to do it the most, and it was evident in their play when they wouldn't because they had the quick skaters who could take advantage of short area burst to get to 50-50 pucks and win them.

Then there is the imposition side of things, the physical punishment side of things, which Ralph may have been trying to tell the voice of bar-bound Sabre fandom who seem to fall into the same category as GR Whiner Line folks who all went everyone to hit to hurt everything, particularly if someone is big.

Great post. Chicago and Pittsburgh played the first way you described. Sabres just need a few more engaged players.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

This was how they opened the season against the Pens and Devils. then poof....

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Just wanted to say this is a fantastic post.

So often people casually lump together fighting and big hits with terms like grit or physicality (and for some reason, much of the analytics community really seems to take issue with these terms). I really don't care one bit for fighting or big hits, but the physicality has been lacking on this team for nearly 20 years. I continually think of just one example - a single man forecheck; the concept here is to engage in a 1-on-1 battle and disrupt the opponent. I don't need everyone on our team to run the opponent through the boards. However, almost every single one of our forwards will either cheat a passing lane before curling away, or try and cut off the boards. I see our forwards do this constantly, curl into a forechecking position before stopping short and anticipating the reversal along the boards. Sometimes these little plays work, but if no one ever takes the body, the opponent knows they can hold onto the puck and wait to see what you're going to do before they make their decision with the puck. I just need a few players that are willing to physically engage and won't give that free pass, then the opponent will know they can't just hold onto the puck without consequence.

When Jack has the puck along the walls he'll often use his body to shield guys, knowing he's bigger and stronger and can hold them off before making a play. But in the OT loss to CBus earlier in the year Nick Foligno hammered him, causing the turnover and resulting in the game winner. We could really use one or two Foligno's...

That being said, I still don't think we're seeing the final product. If we can universally agree that it can take 20-30 games for a new staff and system to settle in, then once that happens (i.e. they start playing without thinking) Kreuger can try and get some of these guys to play a bit out of character.
agree on the 20-30 games. Also think it explains the Erod benching. He is my whipping boy for the very reason you describe, the curls. His speed is an advantage he does not use enough. If RK can get him to buy into the idea of getting on top of guys early, maybe the rest will too. It comes in spurts but they do not sustain that type of attack for 3 periods. Look at the difference between rookie Jack and now. He has learned that just the threat of him bearing down on a puck carrier in the d zone can lead to all sorts of opportunities. And he doesn't have to lay them out either, though that is nice once in a while. :handclap:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Ralph Krueger Interview – Howard & Jeremy (11/13/19)

Posted on November 13, 2019 by chrisdierken | Leave a comment

November 13, 2019

Ralph Krueger

Howard & Jeremy (8 a.m)

11-13 Sabres head coach Ralph Krueger with Howard and Jeremy (12:43)

Howard Simon: Ralph, it’s Howard and Jeremy. Good Morning, sir. How you doing today?

Ralph Krueger: Good morning. I’m doing very well. It’s good to be home and we’re excited to have a home game tomorrow. So all well here.

Jeremy White: How was the trip as a group? Maybe outside of the games, the losses themselves.

RK: Yeah, there was definitely, definitely two sides to that trip. The one is the results that we’re disappointed with, especially in game two. But the overall experience for our team was excellent. The players were outstanding ambassadors for the Sabres, number one, and for the National Hockey League. I thought the overall way that we managed it was strong. And yeah, we’ve taken some good lessons with us too, which will make us stronger in the future. Tampa Bay, you know a strong opponent there. Overall, I would say a good experience and we’re happy to be back in the NHL rhythm though.

HS: Ralph, what kind of events did you guys have to do over there? You’re say, ‘ambassadors for the game.’ Were there a lot of events with kids? Events with fans from Sweden? Just an opportunity to kind of do stuff away from the ice?

RK: Yeah there was a regular stream of fans at the entrance and exits of the hotel. But at the arena we had a few interesting events that were good for getting contact with the fans. We had an open practice on the Thursday where five thousand, mostly kids, showed up and they were able to watch us skate but also came in contact with the guys. It was a good public relations event. The passion for hockey in Sweden runs very deep and, of course, with us having six Swedes with us, we were a popular group to visit. It was very, very warm the whole contact with everybody.

JW: How about fixing things for your five-on-five scoring at this point. You may have some ideas, we might see some changes. It’s a longer layoff. Maybe with this longer period of time, are there any tweaks that we should expect to see on the way to, whether it’s the forward group, the defense group, or is it just kind of keep plugging and see what you’ve got as the season rolls along?

RK: Well we actually, five-on-five, it was two-two first game, three-three second game. It was our specialty teams that let us down in Sweden. We lost the specialty teams games in both of those and came home without points. I think that five-on-five, we are seeing more pressure to the net in the second game, getting over 40 shots on net is not necessarily a goal that we need to have. If you’re leading in the National Hockey League you don’t need to be pumping shots like that, but it was good for us to have that and also see a lot of net pressure and to see often two bodies in and around that. So that’s a first step five-on-five to create more scoring. At the moment, we’ve got a couple of injures we’re going to be still assessing here this morning and we’re going to see how the group comes together. Yeah, there are a few things we need to improve. We know that. It’s a constant, constant, every day searching for little areas and that’s one that we’re working on really hard.

JW: The scoring of goals at five-on-five kind of even, but maybe not the chances. Do you think you’re getting enough of the quality chances at five-on-five?

RK: Yeah, again, shots don’t always reveal the chance situation. I think that overall we need to get our power play firing again. It is the motor of our offense and when it’s confident and doing well it seems to carry into our five-on-five game. But we’ll, again, the guys are striving to go in the right direction. There’s a strong spirit here and we believe with these two home games coming up we can get our game back on track here pretty quickly.

JW: Have you given any thought to Jeff Skinner. I know you have to move lines around with Vladimir Sobotka out with an injury. Have you given any thought to reuniting Jeff Skinner with Jack Eichel, something we saw a lot last year with a lot of success but have yet to see this year.

RK: Well the Eichel-Reinhart-Olofsson line was outstanding in Sweden, scoring all the five-on-five goals and we’re happy to see them clicking. They were generally firing on power play early in the season, but that goal production now, you know, five goals in that period of time shows that they’re trending well and we need to get some other line scoring offensively for us to get more balance. We’re very pleased with the Eichel line at the moment.

HS: There are no goals yet this season from Jimmy Vesey. Not to single him out because plenty of guys aren’t scoring right now at even strength beyond the Eichel combo. But Vesey in particular, Ralph, what are you seeing? Is he not doing the right things to generate better chances? Is it just not cashing in? Is it puck luck? What do you see from his game?

RK: Well we like the way Jimmy is fitting into the lineup. He’s taking on a penalty-killing role, which is new to him with this level of responsibility. He’s also supporting lines defensively in a way. And his speed and puck skill and drive will, you know, the goals will come eventually if he holds the line that he’s on right now. It’s not that that we focus on so much with Jimmy. We’d like to see secondary scoring through the lineup as I’ve already mentioned. But overall, the effort is there, he’s had some setbacks with a few injures that have held him out of the lineup too. I believe that Jimmy’s goals will come with time, he just needs to hold the line that he’s on right now.

HS: What about your team’s play in your own end? Everybody talks about good offense, if you have the puck you have possession, you’re forechecking, but if you’re spending a lot of time in your own end that’s going to hinder your offense. How about the time spent, say, not just the Sweden trip, if you go back through the losing streak, back to the Arizona game, how would you assess what’s going on in your own end? Are you spending too much time there?

RK: Well we’re eighth in the league in goals against right now and we’re quite pleased with that number. Any time you’re top ten, you’re going to be in the race, you’ll be part of the race. We are a group that’s learning and growing away from the puck every day. But we love the buy-in here. Everybody’s attempting to play within the principles and concepts. Again, nothing is ever perfect in the game, which makes it interesting, but we’re getting closer to the level of consistency that we want. It is truly the offensive production, if you look at something like the Islander game with a 1-0 loss, or even Arizona, the chances we left off the table, the goals against and the overall save percentage is above expectations right now. We just need to get the offense firing again from the coaches’ room. That’s the way we’re feeling. Time in the D-Zone, you know, there’s been shots, but I think the guys have been buying into how we can defend secondary opportunities. Chaos doesn’t show up too much in our D-Zone, so it’s more, again, at the other end of the rink that I believe we need to see an improvement here to get the results back.

HS: You mention the power play, you know, the motor that can drive the team. Of course it wasn’t going to sustain the rate that it was connecting on in the first couple three weeks of the season, but it’s cooled off a little bit of late. Anything the coaches have seen in particular there that might be something you could address?

RK: It’s an area where you often go in waves and waves of momentum. We’ve actually liked some of the possession and some of the O-Zone play better than we did early in the season when we were scoring. I think it’s just that we need to come up with more options that’ll surprise teams. The pre-scouting that goes on in the NHL is quite intense. We liked the personnel. We liked the way we they’re fighting for retrievals on the power play and they’re creating a lot of control time in the O-Zone. I think that getting a little more shot hungry would be probably the first place to go on the power play to create more chances.

JW: You’re saying shot hungry, I was going to ask you a follow up question, but then you meant the power play. I was going to ask more of your five-on-five play, if you felt like you need to be more shot hungry at five-on-five? I feel like I remember earlier in the season you talking about bodies to the net and higher quality shots as opposed to just shots on goal. Just looking at the rankings around the league, whether it’s shot attempts that are high-danger chances or expected goals high-danger chances, the team is kind of drifted down quite a bit, maybe into the bottom 10 even in terms of the share of high-danger chances, which is how many you get and how many you give up. So I wonder if that’s any bit of a concern to you? I started to ask it the one way about your five-on-five play, and it’s more than just the last two games in Sweden. As a general trend, it seems to be perhaps in a direction you might not want it to.

RK: Well again we’re quite pleased with the way the guys are buying into playing as a team. I think that you’re, when you’re getting losses those numbers are going to stray in the wrong way. For us it’s just one of the areas that we need to continue to improve on. I agree with you completely that we have a lot of things still to work on. We’re far from the finished product. The offensive production five-on-five is something that we, with our d-men getting more shots to the net, we don’t want to shoot just for shooting’s sake. We need to get the pressure to the net in general. We’re working on some things that tactically take some time, but again, I want to underline these guys are trying, they’re working hard, they’re very involved in practice and in our meetings that we have and are doing their best to try to improve in the areas we need to improve on and I believe you’re going to see it on the ice.

JW: One last question Ralph before I let you go, I know you’re busy. Rasmus Dahlin, the way that I say it jokingly, I say, ‘Dahlin’s broken!’ I know he’s not broken, but he’s not playing his best hockey and I would think one of the things you might want to do, or one of the things you might be thinking of, is how do we get this guy back to maybe where he was last year to continue to bring him along. So when you see Dahlin’s game, what is it that needs to be a little bit better? What is Rasmus doing well, what is he not doing so well right now?

RK: Well I’m going to defend Rasmus here because he’s working so hard on improving on the defensive side of the game. We’re spending a lot of time with him in that area and it’s going to take a little bit away from his offensive production as he’s cementing the habits there that he needs to cement. He’s still a teenager and everybody needs to remember that and we need to be patient with his game. For a defenseman it’s much more complex than as a young forward coming in. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, he’s just such a coachable kid. He’s working so hard on doing things right and getting them right and everybody’s going to continue to be excited. We aren’t disappointed with Rasmus at all because of the effort that he’s putting in. He’s putting on muscle mass, we’re trying to do weight lifting in and around all our games that we have. He’s right there in the front of the line working out as hard as anybody else. I think that also on the ice his offense, he just needs to relax and allow that genius to create when the opportunity is there and find the right balance, and that’s what he’s working on. I’m sure as well as the rest of the team, you’re going to see some good hockey here in the next few games.

HS: Ralph, thanks as always for giving us some time on the show and good luck tomorrow night against Carolina.

RK: Thanks Howard and Jeremy, and all the best to Sabres fans and we look forward to playing in front of you here at home again tomorrow night.

HS: Have a good morning.

RK: Ok, thanks, bye bye.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Very informative thread. Good job all.......

The purpose of checking in hockey is simply to separate your opponent from the puck and gain possession of it. Amazing how many people never get an understanding of a fundamental concept like that........

Reactions: joshjull

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
His next big mission is inspiring a player to do what is right for his family and go on ltir.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad