Rally around the team?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don’t really care.

Just stating that the opening of the Palladium was empty killed your credibility with me. You want to back track, knock yourself out. I was there game after game after game. The attendance was over the top 99.9% of the time.

Oh no, my credibility is at stake!

Palladium was empty is a statement about the rest of the 1996 season. Yes, I was there opening night, and then the next game against Chicago, I think there was about 13K. And the arena being at capacity 99.9% of the time, lol, is your recollection when Lemieux-Francis-Jagr played in front of 11, 478. 7K empty seats to watch one of the greatest of all time.

I don't think it is my credibility that is at stake, just people possibly misremembering, as American politicians like to say! It was a long time ago so you get a free pass from me Ray!

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Why are you jumping from the Palladium to the Corel... and 18,500 was bad when that was its full capacity?

What exactly are you trying to prove anyway. You just keep endlessly searching for negative vibes on Ottawa fans and “this clown of a city”.

I don't know if you know this, but they are the same arena. The article simply states what I said, and counters what you said. Place was laughably empty, the shiny new jewel of Ottawa.

All this to point out that Lebreton will not help this team with its attendance issues. It didn't back then and it won't now. People think once we get to Lebreton people will come. People will come Ray, people will most certainly come (Field of Dreams).

No they won't. People will not come because it costs too much in this market to watch NHL hockey.

Last edited:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I don't know if you know this, but they are the same arena. The article simply states what I said, and couters what you said. Place was laughably empty, the shiny new jewel of Ottawa.

All this to point out that Lebreton will not help this team with its attendance issues. It didn't back then and it won't now. People think once we get to Lebreton people will come. People will come Ray, people will most certainly come (Field of Dreams).

No they won't. People will not come because it costs too much in this market to watch NHL hockey.

Good grief...

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Oh no, my credibility is at stake!

Palladium was empty is a statement about the rest of the 1996 season. Yes, I was there opening night, and then the next game against Chicago, I think there was about 13K. And the arena being at capacity 99.9% of the time, lol, is your recollection when Lemieux-Francis-Jagr played in front of 11, 478. 7K empty seats to watch one of the greatest of all time.

I don't think it is my credibility that is at stake, just people possibly misremembering, as American politicians like to say! It was a long time ago so you get a free pass from me Ray!
I was also at both those games along with the crapy turnout for the Pittsburgh game. Attendance was dismal. I remember the second game I was with my girlfriend at the time, and it was the Chicago game. There was so many empty seats and it was embarrassing. Some people are so forgetful of how crapy Attendance has been. It's pathetic this support. If and when lebreton happens, it will not be long that news hits the streets that the team is still struggling with the attendance. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I wonder what the numbers would be if it was a “pro-Melnyk” billboard campaign...?

It's not about pro owner vs anti owner.

The owner is the owner until he decides not to be, not anyone else.

It's about the team, and who supports the team regardless of their feelings about the owner, if they have any.

If there was a Rally to re-sign EK65, I bet more people would participate, vs an anti owner rally.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

It's about the team, and who supports the team regardless of their feelings about the owner, if they have any.

If there was a Rally to re-sign EK65, I bet more people would participate, vs an anti owner rally.
This is a phenomenon known as learned helplessness. If you truly think the fans have no voice, you haven't been paying attention. It's not a perfect analogy, but do you think Donald Sterling would've been forced out of the NBA if there hadn't been public outcry against him?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can picture Dracula loading up the Mayflower trucks down in Baltimore in '84.

...then wonder why there's no football being played at the stadium a few months later.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this.

- you can't honestly compare an Arena, located halfway to Carleton Place, on the western edge of the City, that you pretty much have to drive to (pay for parking) during the evening rush hour (on week days) and contend with the park lot follies after the game .... to a centrally located Arena, sitting between two LRT stations that can accommodate customers traffic to and from the East, West and South. Plus the Chaudierre Bridge to accommodate customers from Gatineau.

- over 100,000 commuters travel via public transit (mostly) to the downtown core every workday, and game day walk ups (to Lebreton) are much more likley than at the current location.

Reactions: branch

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

You bring up a topic, then you say it’s not about that. Then you bring up another topic and, in it, you re-include the first topic of which you said it wasn’t about.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What I found weird, was "Karl" ?

It could be a reference about the injury, or the twitter harassment thing, or something else..

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-120...nd-a-bizarre-final-season-in-ottawa-1.1134802

It’s not only one thing. It’s not only Eugene or coaches or players … Karl ... it seems like it was a lot of things that went on at the same time, and we didn’t really respond to it well. I blame myself for it. I should have been maybe more proactive or found a way to … but that’s the way it is sometimes. It’s personal stuff you think they’re not going to expose, but later on you realize maybe you should have done something about it.

Alex Burrows

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Attendance has been decreasing even with Karlsson. Last year took it to a whole new level. He stated that he has cut everything to the bone and that at some point he will have to tie revenues to salaries, as that was the only place he didn't go. Well, he went there. And he will continue to do so. So , the "product" will have to rely on the youth movement. Stars will leave, always. So, no need to get attached to any player , oops, I mean these "products", just like your bananas and oranges, as they are the same category now, have a shelf life.

We are not fans in Ottawa, we are all customers. Let's stick with customers from now on as then it all makes more sense.

That's such BS man. The fanbase is clearly just upset with the stale product. Even with Karlsson everyone knew they weren't going anywhere because Eugene refused to build around him, and he had 2 guys who weren't able to build a winning team. Everyone knew this. You must have, you continue to stick your head in the sand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

- you can't honestly compare an Arena, located halfway to Carleton Place, on the western edge of the City, that you pretty much have to drive to (pay for parking) during the evening rush hour (on week days) and contend with the park lot follies after the game .... to a centrally located Arena, sitting between two LRT stations that can accommodate customers traffic to and from the East, West and South. Plus the Chaudierre Bridge to accommodate customers from Gatineau.

- over 100,000 commuters travel via public transit (mostly) to the downtown core every workday, and game day walk ups (to Lebreton) are much more likley than at the current location.

He's just a suburbs dweller that wants to have his cake and eat it too it sounds like.

That is the only demographic that shits on Lebreton.

I know I'm not the only urbanite that would spring for season tickets if the games were held at Lebreton. f*** Kanata, I can't stand going there for games.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He's just a suburbs dweller that wants to have his cake and eat it too it sounds like.

That is the only demographic that ****s on Lebreton.

I know I'm not the only urbanite that would spring for season tickets if the games were held at Lebreton. **** Kanata, I can't stand going there for games.

I live in South end, and when going to a game, I have to make a plan.

Usually, to avoid the parking lot issues (after a game) I go to some place Like Hurleys, and take their shuttle to and from the game. So either choice ( parking lot or Shuttle) it adds time to attending a game, and an associated cost with either choice. I would never consider Public Transit from the south end.

But with an arena at Lebreton flats, I would just take a Bus to Greenboro Station, and take the existing O train ......... or take the Bus to Hurdman and take the LRT.

I would attend many more games because of the centrally located and much more easily accessible location.

Reactions: Back in Black

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Yeah, I would absolutely go to more games in Lebreton. I live and work close to downtown, and going to a game right now is terrible - forced to spend close to an hour each way on OC transpo, or drive in rush hour traffic then spend $20 on parking.

Our attendance to this point in the team's history has been remarkable given that a) this is a government town and season tickets will suffer because of it, and b) the arena is located in the idle of nowhere.

Reactions: Deku and branch

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

I know I'm not the only urbanite that would spring for season tickets if the games were held at Lebreton. **** Kanata, I can't stand going there for games.
I live right down the road from the CTC, and I agree. The team will be much more well-served with a downtown arena. I'll gladly deal with a longer commute if it means a more logistically sound and central arena.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

My point is the new arena quickly lost its desirability. From the home opener to seeing an original six team, it was meek. To see Lemieux in that same season was under 12,000. For a new arena, the hype and newness you would think would haver lasted at least to the end of the season? Even the following season was far from full.

Lebreton is certainly better situated, yes. But I am not sure it will translate into better attendance.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
That's such BS man. The fanbase is clearly just upset with the stale product. Even with Karlsson everyone knew they weren't going anywhere because Eugene refused to build around him, and he had 2 guys who weren't able to build a winning team. Everyone knew this. You must have, you continue to stick your head in the sand.

Yup, acquiring Duchene in November was a message to all the fans that they were throwing in the towel. You can be mad that the season was terrible. We all are. But selective memory does not help a poster's credibility. They banked on certain players who impressed to continue to progress, especially on defence. And it didn't happen. Goaltending was terrible, just a bad season.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I am nowhere near Kanata, so don't speak for me bud

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Yup, acquiring Duchene in November was a message to all the fans that they were throwing in the towel. You can be mad that the season was terrible. We all are. But selective memory does not help a poster's credibility. They banked on certain players who impressed to continue to progress, especially on defence. And it didn't happen. Goaltending was terrible, just a bad season.

Trading from Turris to Duchene was a lateral move at best. You lose a 1b center, and gain a 1b center. You can't say that it shows a total commitment to winning. The fanbase saw right through it. Duchene is one of those players that Pierre had his tunnel vision switched on for and couldn't help himself.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Trading from Turris to Duchene was a lateral move at best. You lose a 1b center, and gain a 1b center. You can't say that it shows a total commitment to winning. The fanbase saw right through it. Duchene is one of those players that Pierre had his tunnel vision switched on for and couldn't help himself.

Like I said, credibility. Let go of the hate as it is clouding your judgement. Turris and Duchene are not even in the same league. Do a poll and see if it was a lateral move. I dare ya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad