Rally around the team?

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Expand on the bold?
I think they mean that while we are as cheap as we are and Melnyk making Ottawa not a viable destination to keep players, we will lose our best to the 30 other teams for peanuts after putting in the hard work of scouting them, drafting them, bringing them to the NHL and then they leave when they get a chance to GTFO.

Reactions: coladin

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I will support this team until the day I die or this team leaves Ottawa. I miss a lot of players that have come and gone due to the BS around this franchise but in the end, life goes on and we will survive and hopefully cheer loudly and proudly for this team again in the future.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I think they mean that while we are as cheap as we are and Melnyk making Ottawa not a viable destination to keep players, we will lose our best to the 30 other teams for peanuts after putting in the hard work of scouting them, drafting them, bringing them to the NHL and then they leave when they get a chance to GTFO.
For some reason I was thinking he was saying that would happen with a new owner.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I honestly can't bring myself to get excited about this team. We're a budget team, and the owner readily admits that he runs a barebones scouting and front office staff. We look terrible this year, and don't have our 1st round pick.

And to top it all off, terrible mismanagement is about to cost us a beloved HOF-caliber franchise player that we drafted and developed, FOR THE SECOND TIME IN FIVE YEARS.

I'm glad that people like you still find joy in this team, but I just don't see any optimism right now.

Reactions: SenatorsHockey

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

With the way this organization is run, I can see how this trend could continue/wouldn't blame players for doing it.
However coladin seems to place 100% of the blame all on ticket sales, and if only we sold out every single game, everything would be fine. I can't get down with that.

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
Meh.
The day he leaves, I will be back in full moral and financial support of the team, but not a day sooner.

Melnyk needs to go, and hopefully the mass amount of fans that have just been lost will be enough to sway him in the direction of selling. I really dont know what else will.

I agree 100%...this guy has sucked the life out of long time SENS supporters.
My Daughter is 25 yrs old...you will not meet a bigger and knowledgeable SENS and hockey supporter...first time i've seen her so down in the dumps about this team....

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
There's all of this talk about the Sens being the worst team in the league next year. I am not buying it. Look what Vegas did this season. Look at the turn around in New Jersey. If we get a good return for Karlsson, a bounce back from Anderson and contributions from some of our prospects, we could be competitive next year.

I'll bet all of you saying you're done with this team will be back in force if the Sens are fighting for a playoff spot.

and look at the management teams they have...Shero not good enuf to be a SENS GM, but sure turned around the Devils pretty quick.
Now they hire Lou...do you think Lou would work for Melnyk????

until Melnyk is gone, they have lost all financial support from me...

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Attendance has been decreasing even with Karlsson. Last year took it to a whole new level. He stated that he has cut everything to the bone and that at some point he will have to tie revenues to salaries, as that was the only place he didn't go. Well, he went there. And he will continue to do so. So , the "product" will have to rely on the youth movement. Stars will leave, always. So, no need to get attached to any player , oops, I mean these "products", just like your bananas and oranges, as they are the same category now, have a shelf life.

We are not fans in Ottawa, we are all customers. Let's stick with customers from now on as then it all makes more sense.
No direction.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
and look at the management teams they have...Shero not good enuf to be a SENS GM, but sure turned around the Devils pretty quick.
Now they hire Lou...do you think Lou would work for Melnyk????

until Melnyk is gone, they have lost all financial support from me...
Since going to the finals we get nothing but rookie coaches. Not good coaches, rookie coaches. Maclean should have been here longer. and management should have been fired.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Since going to the finals we get nothing but rookie coaches. Not good coaches, rookie coaches. Maclean should have been here longer. and management should have been fired.

Melnyk ... its Melnyk he's be firing the guys doing his bidding

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
The Palladium was empty when it opened. Honeymoon was really short with a state of the art arena, coming from the Civic Centre. You obviously have more faith in this city than I do.
No, the Palladium was over capacity for quite some time. It was consistent to 18,900 when capacity was 18,500. I won’t share a “link” because I don’t have one and honestly don’t care. I was there for endless games. It was always over capacity.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Im sorry for not shopping at Sears more often. I'm a bad customer for letting that greatly run business fail. If only I had kept buying more and more overpriced pants I don't need so that they could invest bringing their business model out of the 90's. I should never have bought the same quality of pants at Winners for significantly less.

So now we know who to blame for all those long-time workers getting screwed out of their pensions. It was never the company, it was the customers... (patrons, fans, guests...).
BAD Benjamin... !

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Attendance has been decreasing even with Karlsson. Last year took it to a whole new level. He stated that he has cut everything to the bone and that at some point he will have to tie revenues to salaries, as that was the only place he didn't go. Well, he went there. And he will continue to do so. So , the "product" will have to rely on the youth movement. Stars will leave, always. So, no need to get attached to any player , oops, I mean these "products", just like your bananas and oranges, as they are the same category now, have a shelf life.

We are not fans in Ottawa, we are all customers. Let's stick with customers from now on as then it all makes more sense.

Hotel = guests, restaurant = patrons, airline = flyers, sports = fans, etc.

However you want to cut it, every one, and more, of those types of businesses depend on public money to stay afloat. Shitty service, shitty product, crappy food, shitty flight... more people will go away. I’m not certain how sports differ from that, but i’m certain you’’ll tell me.

If the word “customer” is out of your vocabulary, it doesn’t change it as a fact that that’s what it boils down to.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No, the Palladium was over capacity for quite some time. It was consistent to 18,900 when capacity was 18,500. I won’t share a “link” because I don’t have one and honestly don’t care. I was there for endless games. It was always over capacity.

I remember those days. They had to reduce standing room capacity because the fire marshal said it was too dangerous. Overcrowded.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I remember those days. They had to reduce standing room capacity because the fire marshal said it was too dangerous. Overcrowded.

Totally, I remember that as well. And each time they announced the (over capacity) attendance, the crowd, fans, customers, audience went wild :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

First full season was 15K average, in a new arena.

I remember my cousin coming in to watch the Penguins and see the new arena. He was from Toronto. That night in the spring of 1996 there was 11,478. I remember vividly because it was embarrassing and humiliating.

So...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
ICE FOLLIES THE ONCE BUMBLING OTTAWA SENATORS EARNED A PLACE IN HOCKEY HISTORY AS THE WORST EXPANSION TEAM EVER

From the article:

Team management believed the Senators' fortunes would change
when they began play at the Corel Centre, Ottawa's glorious new
$190 million rink, which opened last Jan. 17. But even the arena
has seemed cursed. At its debut, which drew a capacity crowd of
18,500, a hitch in the hydraulics caused the line raising the
original Senators' Stanley Cup banners to jam while the banners
were midway to the rafters, leading spectators in the upper deck
to chant, "We can't see! We can't see!" Fans at rinkside
eventually envied those with a limited view, as Ottawa was shut
out by Montreal 3-0.

Since the opener, attendance at the Corel Centre has lagged.
Federal layoffs have impoverished many residents of Canada's
capital, and even well-heeled Senators fans seem increasingly
reluctant to pay an average of $48 per ticket to witness a
pitiful team.

Wow, when you think things are bad now, just read that article!:laugh:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
First full season was 15K average, in a new arena.

I remember my cousin coming in to watch the Penguins and see the new arena. He was from Toronto. That night in the spring of 1996 there was 11,478. I remember vividly because it was embarrassing and humiliating.

So...
I don’t really care.

Just stating that the opening of the Palladium was empty killed your credibility with me. You want to back track, knock yourself out. I was there game after game after game. The attendance was over the top 99.9% of the time.

Reactions: branch

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That’s Melnyk’s problem.

Literally.

If my business makes 1 million a year in profit, and I pull out 2 million a year to buy shiny things for myself, the business is going to pile up debt. Sooner or later, making 1 million per year in profit won't be enough to pull that business out of bankruptcy.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
ICE FOLLIES THE ONCE BUMBLING OTTAWA SENATORS EARNED A PLACE IN HOCKEY HISTORY AS THE WORST EXPANSION TEAM EVER

From the article:

Team management believed the Senators' fortunes would change
when they began play at the Corel Centre, Ottawa's glorious new
$190 million rink, which opened last Jan. 17. But even the arena
has seemed cursed. At its debut, which drew a capacity crowd of
18,500, a hitch in the hydraulics caused the line raising the
original Senators' Stanley Cup banners to jam while the banners
were midway to the rafters, leading spectators in the upper deck
to chant, "We can't see! We can't see!" Fans at rinkside
eventually envied those with a limited view, as Ottawa was shut
out by Montreal 3-0.

Since the opener, attendance at the Corel Centre has lagged.
Federal layoffs have impoverished many residents of Canada's
capital, and even well-heeled Senators fans seem increasingly
reluctant to pay an average of $48 per ticket to witness a
pitiful team.

Wow, when you think things are bad now, just read that article!:laugh:
Why are you jumping from the Palladium to the Corel... and 18,500 was bad when that was its full capacity?

What exactly are you trying to prove anyway. You just keep endlessly searching for negative vibes on Ottawa fans and “this clown of a city”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad