Rally around the team?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Trading from Turris to Duchene was a lateral move at best. You lose a 1b center, and gain a 1b center. You can't say that it shows a total commitment to winning. The fanbase saw right through it. Duchene is one of those players that Pierre had his tunnel vision switched on for and couldn't help himself.
OMG, you don't watch the same games I do. Maybe you should trying to go to a game or two and see what nonsense you just spewed. My god, the hate and anger is really eating you.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Trading from Turris to Duchene was a lateral move at best. You lose a 1b center, and gain a 1b center. You can't say that it shows a total commitment to winning. The fanbase saw right through it. Duchene is one of those players that Pierre had his tunnel vision switched on for and couldn't help himself.

Matt Duchene, who was the youngest player on the 2014 Olympic men's hockey team, is basically as good as Kyle Turris (who has only ever represented Canada at the yearly World Championships that no one gives a shit about)? What some would call a "lateral move at best". This is a something else.

No wonder some of us can't stand what this fanbase has become.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I think Duchene is quite a bit better than Turris, but also think that the organization did a shit job of building around Karlsson during his tenure here, which was the original point. One trade doesn't change that, especially when it backfired like crazy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Did you know that Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters was the drummer for Alanis on the Jagged Little Pill album/tour?
Yep and the list of bands David Grohl has had a active part in is miles long...For me he has always been the real talent

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No thats wishful thinking, even if we had a new owner today, im pretty damn sure Karlsson would leave anyway, he wants to play for a contender, all of you who thinks that Erik wants to stay here are a litte naive, if the the Sens were a contender then he would probably be willing to stay. but right now we the roster we have, new owner or not, hes gone.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure EK wants to be in Ottawa but doesn't want to be around Melnyk and EK knows that he won't invest in the team enough to give them a better chance. That's my read on the situation and my gut feeling. I don't have any insider info, like everybody else. I'm not sure how you are able to determine who is naive or not, based on mostly just speculation and rumors.

If it was as simple as you seem to think, then every star player would ask for a trade to a top contender approaching their UFA status.

For example (just one of many examples), tell me why Carey Price (who was seen as the best goalie not long ago) extended 8 years with Montreal as he could have been traded to a team with a much better chance at a Cup. So yeah, we have different ways of assessing naivety

No it's not. I love Turris but Duchene is clearly the superior player.

I would have no problem giving up Turris, Bowers and a late 1st to acquire Duchene. The problem is that Melnyk/Dorion have managed to give us a really bad chance for it to be a late pick.

I don't understand how they could go almost "all in" with that move, and then change the whole plan not even 1 year later. It was a bad season sure but many many teams have rebounded after a bad season in the recent past. Lowering the already below average budget won't solve any problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: albator71

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I don't know if you know this, but they are the same arena.”

Thank goodness we have you.

“The article simply states what I said, and counters what you said. Place was laughably empty, the shiny new jewel of Ottawa.”

So it’s the article now supporting you and not you? The article counter supports my living experience?

“All this to point out that Lebreton will not help this team with its attendance issues. It didn't back then and it won't now. People think once we get to Lebreton people will come. People will come Ray, people will most certainly come (Field of Dreams).

No they won't. People will not come because it costs too much in this market to watch NHL hockey.”

Yikes...

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I don't know if you know this, but they are the same arena. The article simply states what I said, and counters what you said. Place was laughably empty, the shiny new jewel of Ottawa.

All this to point out that Lebreton will not help this team with its attendance issues. It didn't back then and it won't now. People think once we get to Lebreton people will come. People will come Ray, people will most certainly come (Field of Dreams).

No they won't. People will not come because it costs too much in this market to watch NHL hockey.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Lebreton is certainly better situated, yes. But I am not sure it will translate into better attendance.

It has to, that's why more pro sports teams have moved from the fringes of Cities, closer to the center of their market.

To sat that moving to a centrally located arena would not increase attendance, is to say that the opposit is true ...... moving further away.

I can't imagine anyone living in Orleans, being a STH, and making their way to a from games 41 times a season...... but it their travel distance is cut in half, with an arena located at Lebreton Flats, practically on top of the LRT line, I'll bet many Orleans residents would find a short drive to a park and ride in the east end, and quick trip on the LRT, much more palatable that what they would have to do today.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Trading from Turris to Duchene was a lateral move at best. You lose a 1b center, and gain a 1b center. .

Is Matt Duchene really that much better than Kyle Turris?

The verdict

The expectation before this deep plunge into statistics was that Ottawa forked up two first-round picks and a third-round pick to upgrade from an equally productive - yet perhaps less exciting player - to a flashier player who passes the eye test.
As it turns out, all the underlying numbers suggest Duchene is the far superior player, despite his basic numbers registering similarly to Turris'.
Sure, two firsts and a third seem like a lot, but for a team that is clearly in win-now mode, this was a deal that needed to be made for Ottawa. Turris is a good player and a very solid No. 2 center, but Duchene's game-breaking ability puts the Sens over the top, and a much-needed change of scenery should only lead to more success.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

You posted in my response, I thought I was hacked, but those were your comments, I get it now

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
@Ray Kinsella seems to do this quite often.. I think its a syndrome. Curable I am sure with sufficient regular therapy.. but definitely something to keep an eye on

I'm not certain if you're being funny or sarcastic or both. But, I agree, it seems to have happened to me a few times recently. I post something and it just shows the other poster's message, minus mine. I use my phone a lot while on this site; I think it may be the problem... or it could be a syndrome.

I'll keep HFBoard misposting therapy under advisement.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm not certain if you're being funny or sarcastic or both. But, I agree, it seems to have happened to me a few times recently. I post something and it just shows the other poster's message, minus mine. I use my phone a lot while on this site; I think it may be the problem... or it could be a syndrome.

I'll keep HFBoard misposting therapy under advisement.

Its not always easy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad