Rally around the team?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Is your point that fans should support an awful human being of an owner dismantling the team just because he makes threats to take it away?
Didn’t make the threat. He said. If things get really bad. Which they are not. Relocation is something to look at. And the fcking interviewer was pushing him.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I am not interested in your financial situation. You are the one that brought it up. You seem well equipped to talking out of both sides of your mouth. Which one is it...You understand the point i am trying to make or you question my intentions?

I too appreciate your posts but I also have doubts about your intentions, frankly. I know where you are going with your counterpoint but I also find that you like to pander to the audience and take gratuitous shots at me, and others, while avoiding the question.

You very well know the point I was trying to make. The skip meals is an obvious exaggeration to exacerbate a point. But you knew that, right? However, you saw an opening and went for it.

If people cannot afford to go is one thing. I am not stupid. Those who can afford and choose not to go are the issue.

The average fan is failing this franchise. 35$, 45$ seats cannot be moved in this city. Those are average fan tickets.
I don’t need to pander to anyone, thanks.

In the end, my point is that whatever amount of money a fan can spend on the Sens, it is entirely their right to choose to spend their money elsewhere until they feel that there’s a true direction in Management, a true commitment. I feel it’s rather basic to offer that type of trust to your customers in any business, and to retain that trust. It’s of utmost importance to having a successful business.

Nonetheless, thanks for your message.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Is your point that fans should support an awful human being of an owner dismantling the team just because he makes threats to take it away?
My point is revenue and spending are closely connected in a market like this.

If you CANT go or DONT WANT to go that’s your business and I don’t hold that fact against you or anyone else. But how can you COMPLAIN about our spending?! If you go and want to complain about managements handling of things such a simple players or personnel choices. Totally fair. Your dollars don’t determine how much of a prick melnyk is really. Cool. But don’t start bitching about budget.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

If you CANT go or DONT WANT to go that’s your business and I don’t hold that fact against you or anyone else. But how can you COMPLAIN about our spending?! If you go and want to complain about managements handling of things such a simple players or personnel choices. Totally fair. Your dollars don’t determine how much of a prick melnyk is really. Cool. But don’t start *****ing about budget.

But if businesses all operated that way, how the heck can you ever become successful long term? They expect their customers to stick around regardless of how they handle their business? What happens when those who still choose to go (regardless) are no longer going after some years? The business won’t change its management style and new customers start showing up?

When your revenue is dependent on your customers, you need to cater to them, it’s as simple as that. It’s reality. You have to have a constant contingency plan, at any given time... because your « faithful customers » who keep returning regardless of your mismanagement, which essentially affects the customers product which they pay for, will eventually fade out. And then what... as a business owner, you just can’t simply brush that stuff off, shrug your shoulders and carry on without exercising change. Unless you truly don’t care for the true nature of your business and/or your customers, or neither.

I don’t know the last time, or how often the hockey side of the organization has strategic planning sessions and sets a vision, either long term or short term, but it seriously needs to happen before everything finally collapses.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
But if businesses all operated that way, how the heck can you ever become successful long term? They expect their customers to stick around regardless of how they handle their business? What happens when those who still choose to go (regardless) are no longer going after some years? The business won’t change its management style and new customers start showing up?

When your revenue is dependent on your customers, you need to cater to them, it’s as simple as that. It’s reality. You have to have a constant contingency plan, at any given time... because your « faithful customers » who keep returning regardless of your mismanagement, which essentially affects the customers product which they pay for, will eventually fade out. And then what... as a business owner, you just can’t simply brush that stuff off, shrug your shoulders and carry on without exercising change. Unless you truly don’t care for the true nature of your business and/or your customers, or neither.

I don’t know the last time, or how often the hockey side of the organization has strategic planning sessions and sets a vision, either long term or short term, but it seriously needs to happen before everything finally collapses.
Well I mean. We DIDnalmost make the cup finals last year. We still weren’t filling up the stadium. This year? Still not filling up the stadium.

Reactions: coladin

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Well I mean. We DIDnalmost make the cup finals last year. We still weren’t filling up the stadium. This year? Still not filling up the stadium.

Hmm, it's almost like people have zero trust in Melnyk and Dorion somehow and that's why it's harder to fill the arena.

Nope, must be da BAD FANBASE.

You know, the fanbase that's been super loyal for years and years. We just HATE the Senators now!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hmm, it's almost like people have zero trust in Melnyk and Dorion somehow and that's why it's harder to fill the arena.

Nope, must be da BAD FANBASE.

You know, the fanbase that's been super loyal for years and years. We just HATE the Senators now!
Super loyal? Really.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

And there’s your answer. If we reached the ECF every year, or every other year, it would mean that something has changed for the better, all around. In such a (wonderful) situation, if people still didn’t show, which I doubt personally, then absolutely it would be questionable. But we can’t compare because we’ve never been there.

Would you keep spending money at the same restaurant year after year, even though the food is really terrible because you’d feel concerned that it’s going to drive the owner out of business? If you’ve been a patron for 5 years and you suddenly stop going, if he/she cares at all, he/she will ask you why. If you say, well you’re food is pretty terrible. If the owner is smart and cares for your patronage, word of mouth and future patrons (aka: success), he/she will hire a new Chef.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No ones talking about shelling out thousands. The team can’t just reduce prices for all fans. That’s not how ANYTHING works. The prices are what they are. You think you’re getting any cheaper anywhere else. Look at the states. Go down there for an NFL game. When you’re not at the game. You’re spending pennies on alcohol compared to Canada. As soon as you enter the stadium... 12 dollar beers.

You think melnyk is cheap now? Imagine when he lets you park there for 5 bucks and a pint is 6.50. There’s a pretty massive disconnect here. Melnyk is cheap yet any attempt to make money is seen as a scam.

I'm not talking about Melynk reducing prices. I'm talking about certain people on here pushing the idea that you're only a "real" fan if you shell out a pile of money.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don’t need to pander to anyone, thanks.

In the end, my point is that whatever amount of money a fan can spend on the Sens, it is entirely their right to choose to spend their money elsewhere until they feel that there’s a true direction in Management, a true commitment. I feel it’s rather basic to offer that type of trust to your customers in any business, and to retain that trust. It’s of utmost importance to having a successful business.

Nonetheless, thanks for your message.

You shared your passion of listening to a hockey game In a car for 3 hours. Spare me the "customer" argument. Is there another business where you would invest that type of commitment?

This is unlike any other business model. I hate when people go to the customer card because that strips away what differentiates this business from others: passion. Adoration. Fandom. This city is so caught up in vindictiveness and pettiness that it ruins what sports is meant to be, and the feelings it invokes that is unlike any other business.

When people go the customer analogy, the only thing that will satisfy a customers are guarantees. And we are not the Harlem Globetrotters where they win and entertain and everything is rosy. You can spend 200 bucks and see a crappy game. Or 200 on a crappy meal. That restaurant will do something about it. Sports? Fat chance, right?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

If you CANT go or DONT WANT to go that’s your business and I don’t hold that fact against you or anyone else. But how can you COMPLAIN about our spending?! If you go and want to complain about managements handling of things such a simple players or personnel choices. Totally fair. Your dollars don’t determine how much of a prick melnyk is really. Cool. But don’t start *****ing about budget.

Oh no, here comes the holier than thou rebuttal!

Seriously, this market needs less of him, it is killing the vibe and passion. They want it all in Ottawa so long as someone pays for it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, really.
You no doubt were in the papered section. Because some usher probably said something dishonest and you, being morally superior to us Neanderthals, right then and there, decided that you cannot tolerate such dishonest and meanies employed by the billionaire.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think the trust is dead between fans and organization. People who said that earlier are dead on. Coladin you say we're not entitled to Karlsson and I agree, but doesn't re-signing him help build that trust again? Why is it only recently our attendance is being called out?

Was our attendance bad in 2007? The trust hadn't disintegrated in 2007. Fans aren't buying what Eugene is selling, heck Karlsson isnt buying what Eugene is selling. :laugh: And no one blames him.

We have an absolute crook running an organization that has been absolutely gutted. A skeleton crew for an NHL franchise? Are we some 1970s NHL expansion team in Colorado or Oakland or something?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
You shared your passion of listening to a hockey game In a car for 3 hours. Spare me the "customer" argument. Is there another business where you would invest that type of commitment?

This is unlike any other business model. I hate when people go to the customer card because that strips away what differentiates this business from others: passion. Adoration. Fandom. This city is so caught up in vindictiveness and pettiness that it ruins what sports is meant to be, and the feelings it invokes that is unlike any other business.

When people go the customer analogy, the only thing that will satisfy a customers are guarantees. And we are not the Harlem Globetrotters where they win and entertain and everything is rosy. You can spend 200 bucks and see a crappy game. Or 200 on a crappy meal. That restaurant will do something about it. Sports? Fat chance, right?
Yes, music, in various venues, performances, concerts, etc. I absolutely love hockey, but it’s also not above everything else.

I won’t continue to share my points with you Coladin. It seems I’m never right. I’m happy to agree to disagree and I’ll leave it at that.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
And there’s your answer. If we reached the ECF every year, or every other year, it would mean that something has changed for the better, all around. In such a (wonderful) situation, if people still didn’t show, which I doubt personally, then absolutely it would be questionable. But we can’t compare because we’ve never been there.

Would you keep spending money at the same restaurant year after year, even though the food is really terrible because you’d feel concerned that it’s going to drive the owner out of business? If you’ve been a patron for 5 years and you suddenly stop going, if he/she cares at all, he/she will ask you why. If you say, well you’re food is pretty terrible. If the owner is smart and cares for your patronage, word of mouth and future patrons (aka: success), he/she will hire a new Chef.

This is the cheapest team in Canada to watch. The value associated to each paying customer is the lowest of all the Canadian teams. You're not at a fine dining restaurant. You're at a casual diner and you're expecting Gordon Ramsay in the kitchen and Michelin-star service.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Oh and one more thing and I feel like this is the simplest way to put it. The fans feel like the owner has lost his commitment to winning, and when the fan base feels there's no commitment, they aren't gonna show up. Simple as that.

We looked passed Eugenes buffonary in the past because hey, this guy is weird but he's committed to winning so well deal with it. Now we just have a buffoon at the top and now zero reason to tolerate him. Letting Karlsson go is just another example of zero commitment to win.

Packaging Ryan with Karlsson is not only showing no commitment to win but just slapping us in the god damn face at this point.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Oh and one more thing and I feel like this is the simplest way to put it. The fans feel like the owner has lost his commitment to winning, and when the fan base feels there's no commitment, they aren't gonna show up. Simple as that.

We looked passed Eugenes buffonary in the past because hey, this guy is weird but he's committed to winning so well deal with it. Now we just have a buffoon at the top and now zero reason to tolerate him. Letting Karlsson go is just another example of zero commitment to win.

Packaging Ryan with Karlsson is not only showing no commitment to win but just slapping us in the god damn face at this point.

Meanwhile the owner is telling us that the fans have lost their financial commitment to the team. Until someone shows us the real numbers I think you can understand why some people are tired of hearing speculation getting passed off as fact.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Meanwhile the owner is telling us that the fans have lost their financial commitment to the team. Until someone shows us the real numbers I think you can understand why some people are tired of hearing speculation getting passed off as fact.

The owner can f*** off for all I care. He's the guy who started it. So he gutted the organization because we didn't sell out a playoff game? :laugh:
This organization is run by a moron.

If he ever does sell to someone competent you'll see. We saw it in Tampa and in Buffalo and in Chicago. It all starts at the top, and a whale with a typewriter could do a better job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad