Value of: Rakell and Manson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do you see Canes paying a little extra for Seattle to take someone else out of your Dman that are exposed? Or are they pretty settled on who they are losing and okay with it
Depends on what Francis and Seattle wants to do. From a cash POV, their owner spent $650 million for the team. His non-hockey business is an Investment firm, so his overall wealth was not impacted by Covid, unlike others who were in hospitality industry.

Francis was the former GM of Carolina, so he knows that roster. Of the options:
1) Bean - young and cheap. still some upside, but one has to wonder about how much upside he has at this point
2) Fleury - young and cheap. Not as much upside as Bean. What you see is likely what you will get moving forward with him, with more consistency.
3) Skjei - 27 with 3 years left, so he's in his prime now. Cash to cap hit is an immaterial $150K. Taking him, likely means they keep him for a couple of years.
4) Manson - assuming they acquire him, he has 1 year left before UFA. He's 29 now, but turns 30 in October. Stay at home dman, average skater, but physical. Unlikely to age well on his next contract. Salary for 21-22 is $350K higher than his cap hit, which shouldn't be a big deal. He's not someone who would be on Seattle's roster past the 2022 TDL IMO.
5) Make a trade with Carolina to either get future assets/prospects to leave the D alone

Really, Seattle can go any direction here. Depends on how they want to build their roster. Francis would be wise to use his leverage to get the best option for Seattle.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jets offer up 1st+Vesalainen for Manson.

Does anybody have a past trade example on a guy like Manson returning a 1st and prospect at a deadline? I'm curious. Solid top 4D who is decent in his own end. Career 46% Corsi for (38.7% this season) with about 61% of Dzone starts. 20 pts D man with 4 goals (prorated numbers).

I can see the Jets interested in Manson but not sure they cough up a 1st. I don't see Manson returning more than what Muzzin returned a few years ago. Muzzin is much better and we also have the Covid flat cap issues at play.

If that's the price for Manson, he will remain a ducks until his contract expires

Reactions: Huffer

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Depends on what Francis and Seattle wants to do. From a cash POV, their owner spent $650 million for the team. His non-hockey business is an Investment firm, so his overall wealth was not impacted by Covid, unlike others who were in hospitality industry.

1) Bean - young and cheap. still some upside, but one has to wonder about how much upside he has at this point
2) Fleury - young and cheap. Not as much upside as Bean. What you see is likely what you will get moving forward with him, with more consistency.
3) Skjei - 27 with 3 years left, so he's in his prime now. Cash to cap hit is an immaterial $150K. Taking him, likely means they keep him for a couple of years.
4) Manson - assuming they acquire him, he has 1 year left before UFA. He's 29 now, but turns 30 in October. Stay at home dman, average skater, but physical. Unlikely to age well on his next contract. Salary for 21-22 is $350K higher than his cap hit, which shouldn't be a big deal. He's not someone who would be on Seattle's roster past the 2022 TDL IMO.
5) Make a trade with Carolina to either get future assets/prospects to leave the D alone

Really, Seattle can go any direction here. Depends on how they want to build their roster. Francis would be wise to use his leverage to get the best option for Seattle.

Awesome! Thanks for elaborating. Good to know a bit of information regarding your team during ED. Thanks again

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Does anybody have a past trade example on a guy like Manson returning a 1st and prospect at a deadline? I'm curious. Solid top 4D who is decent in his own end. Career 46% Corsi for (38.7% this season) with about 61% of Dzone starts. 20 pts D man with 4 goals (prorated numbers).

I can see the Jets interested in Manson but not sure they cough up a 1st. I don't see Manson returning more than what Muzzin returned a few years ago. Muzzin is much better and we also have the Covid flat cap issues at play.

If that's the price for Manson, he will remain a ducks until his contract expires

savard just got a 1st + 3rd as a ufa, there was other stuff involved... and I’m sure there would be other stuff involved rather than a straight across deal.

Muzzin got a 1st + 2 prospects with a year remaining

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
savard just got a 1st + 3rd as a ufa, there was other stuff involved... and I’m sure there would be other stuff involved rather than a straight across deal.

Muzzin got a 1st + 2 prospects with a year remaining

Dont forget Montour for First + Guhle from Buffalo Sabres at the deadline.

Reactions: Getz2noone

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The price is relative the the upcoming expansion Draft. At least in some ways. If you are the Canes GM do you:

1) Do nothing at the trade deadline. Expansion Draft comes and you protect Slavin, Pesce, and Bean. This exposes Haydn Fleury and Brady Skjei. Seattle takes Brady Skjei. Now the Canes defense is minus one top-4 D.
2) Do nothing at the trade deadline. Expansion Draft comes and you protect Slavin, Pesce, and Bean. This exposes Haydn Fleury and Brady Skjei. Carolina pays Seattle their 1st round pick to leave their defense alone.
3) Pay a 1st for Manson at the trade deadline. Expansion Draft comes and you protect Slavin, Pesce, and Bean. This exposes Josh Manson, Haydn Fleury, Brady Skjei. Seattle takes Manson and the Canes leave their current top-4 intact.

The only way to keep the current defense pieced together is to pay assets. Would they rather pay Ron Francis those assets directly or pay up now for Josh Manson who also helps them in their Playoff run? I don't think the cost will be that different unless the Canes are fine with losing both Hamilton (UFA) and Skjei (Seattle) this offseason.
what happens if you follow point 3 but Seattle still take Skjei leaving your top 4 out of balance as you lose a LD.:sarcasm:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I'd add that Francis was the GM in Carolina when both Bean and Fleury were drafted with pretty high 1st round picks. IMO he is taking one of those 2 and nobody else and hopes they become his Shea Theodore like player.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
what happens if you follow point 3 but Seattle still take Skjei leaving your top 4 out of balance as you lose a LD.:sarcasm:

Brett Pesce had his best season playing on the left side next to Justin Faulk. The bigger question mark is what happens with Hamilton.

In any case if the Canes are going to lose a good piece then Skjei would be the best because his $5.3 million in Cap could be immediately re-deployed. Possibly directly into Hamilton's pocket. Then the Canes are rolling:

Slavin - Hamilton
Pesce - Manson
Bean - Gardiner/Fleury/UFA/trade

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Dubas IS NOT DONE

This would be a sneaky good move

TO ANAHEIM
- Kerfoot
- Barabanov
- 2022 1st
- Abramov

TO TORONTO
- Rakell
- Manson 50% retained

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Lol cmon...

Why would Ducks say yes to that

I bet Ducks are just dying for Kerfoot that much hey??

Also, love that Ducks still retain haha

Reactions: Desert Duck

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Lol cmon...

Why would Ducks say yes to that

I bet Ducks are just dying for Kerfoot that much hey??

Also, love that Ducks still retain haha

5v5 points per 60 since 2018-2019:

Kerfoot: 1.78
Rakell: 1.54

Instead of posting garbage like this, maybe do a bit of research. Rakell isn't much of an upgrade on kerfoot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd add that Francis was the GM in Carolina when both Bean and Fleury were drafted with pretty high 1st round picks. IMO he is taking one of those 2 and nobody else and hopes they become his Shea Theodore like player.
Fleury doesn't have much offense to his game. Bean does, but for a lottery draft pick, like Juolevi (at least he had injuries), taking them both a while to stick full time in the NHL.

I do agree that Bean is likely Francis' first preference. So, he would welcome Carolina acquiring Manson and then protecting him in the ED.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad