OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
In baseball news, I wonder if this series against the Mets will negate the existence of baseball itself for three days. The Mets have been in an even worse situation than the Pirates, for even longer. I can't even process how that's true.
Well, the good news is, I think the Pirates break the losing streak. Or at least I hope they do...

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I love how you trash reports of their reported profits as being inaccurate yet you're wildly speculating about what they do or don't do with the money.

It was revieled in the leaked financials that Nutting doesnt take a salary. And just a couple years ago the minority owners made a big stink because they were not getting paid dividends. Im not making this stuff up.

"“They were being plowed back into the team,” Lustig said. “I can tell you categorically, and you’re not talking to someone who has always just been a “yes-man” for Bob Nutting, in fact we have had more than enough run-ins, I’m sure he was very happy to see me leave. Basically, they went back into the ball club, whether it’s the minor league system or to increase the payroll, but I can tell you categorically, he is not taking cash out of the Pirates organization.”"

And this is a guy that doesnt like Nutting.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
It was revieled in the leaked financials that Nutting doesnt take a salary. And just a couple years ago the minority owners made a big stink because they were not getting paid dividends. Im not making this stuff up.

"“They were being plowed back into the team,” Lustig said. “I can tell you categorically, and you’re not talking to someone who has always just been a “yes-man” for Bob Nutting, in fact we have had more than enough run-ins, I’m sure he was very happy to see me leave. Basically, they went back into the ball club, whether it’s the minor league system or to increase the payroll, but I can tell you categorically, he is not taking cash out of the Pirates organization.”"

And this is a guy that doesnt like Nutting.

Your quotes are based on interactions when nutting first bought the team. Also said nutting will basically never do what it takes to have a winner.

Reactions: USMC607

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Your quotes are based on interactions when nutting first bought the team. Also said nutting will basically never do what it takes to have a winner.

Oh i dont disagree that Nutting is extremely risk averse and will never risk going into the red to finance a winner. But this narrative that he is siphoning money from the team hand over fist and lining his pockets is just silly. Its people looking for a villain to blame.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Oh i dont disagree that Nutting is extremely risk averse and will never risk going into the red to finance a winner. But this narrative that he is siphoning money from the team hand over fist and lining his pockets is just silly. Its people looking for a villain to blame.

I would say that the first several years of ownership the team was not making much money. The last few years is a different story. (which your quotes are dated on).

They got an extra 25mill/year per team from the national TV contract, BAMtech money, along with huge increases in attendance. They've spent a little more, but raised ticket prices. NH always talks about how they increased payroll every year, well so did almost every team not tanking; inflation is real, spending the same as the previous year is spending less.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I would say that the first several years of ownership the team was not making much money. The last few years is a different story. (which your quotes are dated on).

They got an extra 25mill/year per team from the national TV contract, BAMtech money, along with huge increases in attendance. They've spent a little more, but raised ticket prices. NH always talks about how they increased payroll every year, well so did almost every team not tanking; inflation is real, spending the same as the previous year is spending less.

The Bamtech money is only starting this year, we have no idea what the end results of revenue and expenses will be. Looking at attendance so far it might not be pretty. And yes inflation is real and that goes for all the other expenses too. I know they are still playing down debt, i know they are putting money into the stadium as well (some comes back for the city). Not to mention spending on this years numbers will be reflected in next years spending. Thats how budgeting works. Past results with a little projection.

And AGAIN, even if the TEAM makes a profit this year it doesn't go to Bob Nutting unless he all of a sudden changes course and either makes distribution to all the owners or an even bigger change of course and considers selling. Which are both possible but neither are supported by anying other than "because i say so" message board anger

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Nobody outside of the team has the current financials. I don't give a flying **** if you're a Nutting apologist or a whining yinzer if Nutting can't or won't spend more than he does on the team then he needs to get out of the game because he's either a money syphoning scrooge or an incompetent moron of a business owner.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Lets assume that this completely speculative and unsubstantiated number is accurate. Which is likely isnt . But you havent and wont actually listen on that note anyway so lets go to phase two...

2. Even if the PIRATES make a profit on a yearly basis, Nutting has not received any of that money. He does not take a salary. And owners havent received dividends in a what a decade? That money if not reinvested in the team/stadium etc. Would literally sit around and do nothing. They only benefit of that would be if Nutting was planning to sell, which he has said many time , he is not.

In my many years here on this board, there has never been a post with more false information than this one.....

wow

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Uhh what???? This was also challenged in court and they do not own the result and stats; they deserve nothing. It's not IP, it's public knowledge.

Exactly. They deserve NOTHING.

They got that f***ing stadium they play in for free.

They pay 250k in rent which is peanuts.

Now they want the government and taxpayers to pay for the upkeep on the stadium.

I cant believe people are trying to justify this.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Uhh what???? This was also challenged in court and they do not own the result and stats; they deserve nothing. It's not IP, it's public knowledge.

What utter bullshit. There's no MLB betting without MLB. There's no Pirates betting without the Pirates.

If anything, it's the government that deserves nothing.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
On top of the fact they are screening people for signs and attire that are negative towards ownership, and not letting them in unless the get rid of it.

Seems to me they know they are shit, and dont wanna be called out on it.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
What utter bull****. There's no MLB betting without MLB. There's no Pirates betting without the Pirates.

I will agree the government dont deserve any of that money either.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Good to see things finally go our way for once. Another solid start from Taillon, Bell off the HR schneid, Vazquez looking better than I can remember, going back to last season. Glasnow had a bad appearance, looked like he couldn't really find the zone, then got crushed for a HR. Two steps forward, one step back.

Hopefully the lineup re-ordering might kickstart things. Not really sure how I feel about various decisions, but it's not like the other lineup or its variations was working. Using Marte's speed as a weapon makes a lot of sense.

In other news, Kingham didn't have the best start with a couple of HRs, but only gave up 3 hits and struke out 9 in 5.2. Keller twirled a gem, 8 scoreless with just 1 hit.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
What utter bull****. There's no MLB betting without MLB. There's no Pirates betting without the Pirates.

The government paid for that stadium with our tax dollars... without the government the pirates aren't in pittsburgh.

There's also no HFBoards without the NHL, should the NHL get a cut of the sites revenue? There's hundreds of examples of this. You're not thinking clearly.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The leagues already benefit by gambling because that means more people follow and watch their sport.

If their wasn't a such thing as gambling or fantasy sports a lot less people would watch sports.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The government paid for that stadium with our tax dollars... without the government the pirates aren't in pittsburgh.

There's also no HFBoards without the NHL, should the NHL get a cut of the sites revenue? There's hundreds of examples of this. You're not thinking clearly.

The taxpayers paid for some of the stadiums, the government has no money. They were built with the approval of the taxpayers, and unless you're a psycho, you don't get to approve something and then hold it over the team's head. As it stands, PNC AND Heinz for about $500m is actually a very good deal, and it was that cheap because both teams paid a significant portion of the costs.

HFboards (and likely every other example you're thinking of) isn't making money directly from the NHL. The byproduct of the NHL to HFbroads is people talking about hockey. Talk isn't currency. That is not the case with gambling. The NHL is directly producing revenues for whoever is taking bets and is entitled to a cut.

Last edited:

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
The taxpayers paid for some of the stadiums, the government has no money. They were built with the approval of the taxpayers, and unless you're a psycho, you don't get to approve something and then hold it over the team's head. As it stands, PNC AND Heinz for about $500m is actually a very good deal, and it was that cheap because both teams paid a significant portion of the costs.

HFboards (and likely every other example you're thinking of) isn't making money directly from the NHL. The byproduct of the NHL to HFbroads is people talking about hockey. Talk isn't currency. That is not the case with gambling. The NHL is directly producing revenues for whoever is taking bets and is entitled to a cut.

Are you kidding? HFboards would barely exist without the NHL. I'd bet 95% of their revenue would be lost of the NHL ceased to exist. Sports gambling will be less than half of the total gambling revenue the state generates.

The pirates paid a whopping 14% for PNC park. They paid the equivalent of Mike Trout and S-Rod for a single year.... for pnc park.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm not sure either, but it's especially interesting since he basically said he had signed, and seemingly the Pirates targeted him and had something like an agreement with him prior to the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad