OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Freese quotes are very damning, especially in relation to the 98-win season.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Good on Freese for stating the obvious, but it's been clear for a while Nutting pretends to care about winning and puts PROFIT above all other goals. IN fact, it's the only goal.

Move the team

Reactions: PSUPEN

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Live look-in to David Freese at home...
79e8.gif

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Dickerson seems like a no brainer to take a flier on, even though he can't field for shit. Really strange news.

Edit: also wow, the Twins got Odorizzi for absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The Padres are a mess. The Hosmer move reminds me of when they "won" the offseason a few years ago when they got Wil Myers, Justin Upton, James Shields and 'Ol Man Kemp.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, that's a disaster of a contract. I guess they imagine they couldn't use that money next year or something?

One thing probably worth noting re: all of the players speaking out is that it might be an important factor to consider for projecting a record. If they end up coming together somehow as a team, then perhaps they end up around where you'd expect based on paper, and various speculations that we've batted around. But if not, this team could be really terrible out of the gate. As a fan, I definitely appreciate the players for directly speaking out and to some of the main problems, even though there's still more to the story over the last few years, namely underperformance from players. That doesn't subtract from what they are saying, and either way, something's gotta give over these next few weeks.

I don't think Harrison is getting traded, but Nunez ended up signing for around half of what he's going to make, so you'd think picking up a chunk of his contract would make him valuable. Still, it seems like a decent bet that the Yankees might somehow be able to pull off something like Walker + Cobb and stay under the threshold.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Also, you have to imagine that the Dickerson DFA is largely about forcing somebody to give up something in return for him. Despite his fielding troubles, he's a legitimate power bat who will continue to do so in PNC Park, and we have a desperate need for offense and a yawning void at 3rd OF.

It seems like a total no brainer to go after him, and give up somebody low on the list. Even as just a brief stopgap, you have to imagine that his expiring contract (edit: this is wrong, he's arb eligible in 2019) + power would be attractive enough at the deadline to basically replace whatever we'd give up.

I highly doubt it happens for two reasons: 1) Polanco is (and almost definitely should be) ticketed to remain in RF, so he doesn't have to balance adjusting to LF with trying to get his offense and heath in order / which means, we need a defensively useful LF; and 2) there's no genuine commitment to improving the roster/chances of the 2018 team. They are playing for 2019 and beyond.

I hope I'm wrong about that, because this is basically a gift possibility: a guy in a contract year who can be an extreme offensive force for long periods of time who can't be too much worse than any of the other options we have defensively, anyways. Gives a bridge to Meadows and potentially a ton of other bonuses. And saying he "can't field for shit" is probably a bad overstatement: some of his defensive numbers are alright, even if they are inflated because he played next to one of the best defensive players in all of baseball.

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Good on Freese for stating the obvious, but it's been clear for a while Nutting pretends to care about winning and puts PROFIT above all other goals. IN fact, it's the only goal.

Move the team

You can move. Nutting is a terrible owner, that much is obvious, but I've never understood people who want the team to move. What a selfish and bizarre thing to ask for. The Pirates have been here since 1891.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yes, as far as I'm concerned, that desire is the total abdication of actually being a fan. It's also just absurdly reductionistic to continually operate on the terrain of what is in Bob Nutting's head. It's inaccessible and in any event, entirely boring to talk about. Just take it as axiomatic that he's a horrible owner, as literally everyone else does, and then join the rest of us on the terrain of actually discussing and arguing about baseball. Or if you are not a fan of that, be silent.

I agree re: Polanco, and think that's basically why it won't happen. However, the other options are basically equally bad defense and much worse offense, so I'll persist in hoping through being disappointed when the White Sox or somebody get him on the cheap.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Wonder if Dickerson will end up joining Longoria in SF?

That's a possibility. They've been looking to add another OF, but are nearing the lux tax line and have said they have to be under it this year.

Good news, Nova reported to camp 10lbs lighter because his knee finally healed and allowed to workout properly. So, positive signs!

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Padres apparently getting calls on Renfroe. Another player who would not really be perfect, but with huge power potential... wonder if a swap of one of the depth starter options would get it done? Brault, Kingham, or someone like that. Really, I think getting some more power from somewhere is something that should be prioritized. No big problems are going to be solved by adding 25 HRs somewhere, but it should be pretty cheap to do right now, and would end up supplementing the picture if the right things come together.

In other news, which is actually relevant to the measly reality that we have to face, Musgrove's bullpen was cut short earlier today. Spring training off to a good start before it's even really begun.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Not sure I'd read into that exceedingly heavily, but it does give some context to the idea of signing a guy with basically one tool. In any case, I think the ship sailed a little bit with Dyson with the option of Nava: Dyson was really more of a 4th option/bench type.

The Pirates now really need to decide if they have any interest in tapping into a weak market for cheap starting production. The downside is relatively minimal: you block a guy with minimal upside and expectations, and almost every player still available really doesn't block anyone in a total sense from earning more playing time, not to mention the question marks around Polanco's production and health.

Frazier is a useful utility and bench bat, and perhaps has some room to grow, but I doubt it, since the hit tool is his primary value, and especially as an almost everyday LF in PNC Park, his defense is a huge problem. In any case, he's a 1.5 win player maybe at most. There are tons of ok power options floating around out there, and this team sorely needs some more power options. Taking a flier on Dickerson for this reason seems like a bit of a no brainer to me, given the paper thin depth and his additional year of control. Or even CarGo on a short deal. He's 32 this year, and not going to get a huge contract - maybe he rebounds somewhat offensively, and can take advantage of the short distance to RF in PNC.

There are just so many viable options which amount to an easy 2-2.5 win player that are sitting out there. Or at least that take a stab in that direction.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Jarrod Dyson gets 2-year, $7.5 million contract from Dbacks. He receives $3.5 million in 2018 and 2019 and $500,000 signing bonus.

I wouldn't have minded the Pirates taking a shot like that, if they are indeed contending. Brings two things the Pirates are lacking at... base running and a legit glove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->