OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Seven Springs Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I’ve just been following the box score of this one, but they have to be purposely tanking right? How does Del Pozo keep getting a chance? I get Shelton doesn’t have much to work with but still...

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We are definitely tanking. Though apparently part of the agreement for this year is that Manfred can impose a draft order or something, like incorporate a lotto based on last year and this year. So all this losing may not guarantee us the top-3 pick that is really necessary.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
10111d19-89a6-42f0-966b-1d1ffa01ba76-_gw59995.jpg

Reactions: Winger for Hire

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We are definitely tanking. Though apparently part of the agreement for this year is that Manfred can impose a draft order or something, like incorporate a lotto based on last year and this year. So all this losing may not guarantee us the top-3 pick that is really necessary.

If Manfred/whoever screws us out of Rocker if we finish w/ the worst record (assuming this year is completed) I'll be in jail.

Just won't be f***ing worth it anymore. Not this shit.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Manfred is doing his best to be the worst commissioner in sports, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Astros somehow ended up with the #1 pick. Despite not even having a pick.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't quite understand the nuances of the rule, but I also remain convinced that the season will not successfully finish. I figure if it does, it should be enough of a chunk of games that things will proceed as 'normally' as possible heading into the winter and next season.

60 games is few enough that almost anything could happen, but typically that is more a mediocre team playing very well for a condensed stretch and exceeding what they'd do otherwise. No reason that same logic doesn't work the other way around, but at the end of the day that would mean that a mediocre to solid team like the Reds or Mets ends up with a pick 7 or 8 spots better than they would get.

And to play it out, let's say we finished in line for the #2-3 pick – that is likely at least 3 or 4 spots better than what we might get otherwise. So the shorter season is certainly an 'opportunty' for us that we wouldn't otherwise have. Again, I'm just guessing with most of this, but I suspect that if Manfred did tinker, it might be more something like a weighted lottery where a team can jump to the front of the line and bump others back. Unless the season is cancelled, I don't think he'll have precedent to intervene more radically and jumble the bottom teams' results for no clear order. But obviously the fact that he can simply create some system should be pretty worrying.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I would imagine that if they can get through about 30 games (50% of the season) or more, the standing would hold for draft picks. Anything less and I think Manfred would do some tinkering with the order.

With the financial implications tied to the draft picks, I would think that any Manfred tinkering would be very minimal, but he is out to destroy the league so anything is on the table.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i know we are rebuilding, but if we are building toward something doesnt joe musgrove need to be a quality starter. maybe never an ace, but at least a 3 trending toward a 2?!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm really conflicted with this team. On one hand, I want them losing to get the highest draft pick possible. On the other hand, I still want to have a watchable team, not one that looks like this.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I agree that it sucks that the team has been so unwatchable. I have to say that this level of burnout is unusual. Even in the really bad times, I can put things into perspective after a couple of weeks and some solid games and just enjoy the ride. I'm sure this team will put together a decent 9 inning game sooner or later, but I just absolutely do not care at all about the day-to-day.

Today I took a late afternoon gap instead of watching that mess. Obviously this is not much of a fun team to watch, and at least for me, Keller likely being done for the year (I'm assuming) makes it that much worse. I think it's pretty clear that preparation is a mixed bag all around, and I mean that in the literal sense also with players getting hurt.

This season is shaping up to be a pretty big disaster for MLB I think. Certainly you have fluke injuries and TJS during a normal year, but so much seems like it's happening in a condensed time window. I guess the "best case scenario" is that you limp through this season and some of the usual suspects have a "normal" playoffs vs each other and we call it a day, but even that seems improbable. What happens if somebody like deGrom, Kershaw, Buehler etc. goes down and then you have a big name player opt out in the same week in the wake of another mini-outbreak? It's all just such a mess, and then when you have the Pirates' mess on top of that, it's not all that inspiring.

I just hope we don't have more horrible news, like Burdi goes down again. Best case scenario, we get Kela back and swing as many trades as we can. I don't know what to say about the ugliness other than that I am mostly handwaving it away and treating the season as entirely process over results. I think we sometimes get things in our heads like "so and so playing well means they are position X for next year and beyond," which is inevitable and unavoidable, but I don't think it holds a ton of ground in this year. There's too many moving parts and the season is too weird. I think it will hold more ground heading into next year, assuming it's a "normal" yar again.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

I guess in some respects hands are a bit tied while Frazier is still on the team, but I think the best plan as soon as possible is to get Newman acclimated to 2B and start trying others out at SS. At this point it's a little strange that Tucker has been given no chances at SS at all, or even 2B, but I won't complain about him getting into the lineup, even if I question the utility of him playing OF.

I'm becoming somewhat of a believer in Tucker's swing, and I'll just say for now that I'm extremely intrigued by how hard Gonzalez is hitting the ball, combined with his defensive skills that are good enough to keep him in the mix as a defensive replacement type (I've never been a fan of him being on the team, but in some sense the knock of him being on the team is really more that a better team would have better players starting in front of him, which isn't exactly his fault specifically).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The lineups look bad and like tanking, as do Shelton's decisions at times, but I think the heart of the story is just that this team is bad. Reynolds, Bell, Newman, and Frazier have for the most part been horrible, which is the quickest way to explain how you get to 2-9.

The starting pitching has mostly been fine although the FIP numbers are worrisome. If we just go by 10-game chunks, without even looking at the next 10 games, I think 4-6 is a good bet as the max. 6-15 or worse will really cement a pole position for a top pick and hopefully we can enter a period of the season where some trade possibilities kick up followed by a stretch where exclusively young players are given a look for 20 games. There's really very little reason why Hayes shouldn't be up here much sooner than that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad