OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Seven Springs Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Now that's a lineup that will keep us firmly on the Road to Rocker.

(and I won't be surprised when we inevitably score like 10 runs today, especially because Bell and Reynolds, for the most part, have been garbage. Though Newman and Frazier have been no better – really, take your pick on this front)

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
There's not much worth talking about with this team that is part-trainwreck and part-obviously tanking, but Kevin Newman making the first out at third on a routine chopper to the shortstop is 100% the kind of thing that should cost him whatever job security as a starter he earned based on his performance last year.

I am not even against the ultra-aggressive sends (I would defend the Stallings send, for instance), but you just can't do that.

Reactions: cookthebooks

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
There is literally no reason to be upset at all over this team sucking. Why invest any emotion, especially when A, our roster isn't capable of winning now, B, Covid, and C, Rocker, Kumar.

I honestly don't care if we lose every single game from here on out.

Rocker is a generational pitching talent. Sure, he can bust, just like anyone, but my money is on him being a perennial Cy Young pitcher.

Then again, we're the Bucs and don't exactly have a great track record developing premium pitching prospects.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think Friday's game basically broke me in the sense of being able to extract random bits of happiness from this team. Undoubtedly it's due to the fact that the offense basically can't even get a hit right now, which will change to some extent as a bit more time passes.

I am in earnest agreement about it being better to lose and get Rocker (or if not him, Leiter or Hill), but I also, equally as earnestly, do not believe ths season will be played out.

The only thing I am slightly invested in is that some clear planning and assessing take place. I think one of the big mishaps so far is that Tucker isn't getting playing time in the infield. I guess a charitable read is that he is getting worked in semi-regularly and if he performs well enough, eventually he may force the issue. But Newman does not seem like a viable long-term solution at SS, Frazier is veering towards practically DFA-level performance and I don't think you can reasonably expect much for him via trade. Tucker certainly may not be any kind of solution either, but he's easily the best defender out of the group.

Setting aside that specific situation, I do think something like that might be going on in general. It is clearer and clearer that the approach the team is taking prioritizes process over results, and they aren't taking excessive chances with injury risk. Case in point from today - Burdi warming up but then not being tasked with warming up again after the delay to pitch. Or Brubaker being used in a relatively spaced out way, etc. etc. Things where there is a clear plan to get looks at guys, evaluate what's there to build around in what roles, who might deserve opportunity to keep claiming which spot, and so forth.

I think that's the right way to steer the ship, especially with this BS season. And if we can "hang on" to the cellar, Rocker would be an enormous boon. I fully expect the season to be cancelled after a couple more weeks of this and for some kind of lottery to ultimately decide things, but who knows. Maybe we'll get really lucky and there will be a solid 40 games or so put in, and baseball will somehow pause, resume with a quasi-immediate playoff situation, and have the results at the bottom locked in place for next year's draft order. Anything seems possible.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
In a shortened season where every game is essentially worth 2.7 games compared to a regular season, the Buccos are 5 and 19.

The season is over even quicker than I would have guessed.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The only thing left in this season is to play Hayes everyday at 3rd. Trade Frazier for a catcher prospect put at everyday SS have Craig play 1St or RF play the kids.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
As I've been saying for 2 years.

Get rid of the dead weight. Re-stock the pitching in the minors because it's not good.

We have capable hitters at the big league level now. We have some potential studs in the minors.

Pitching and catching is very, very shady though. Invest heavily on the mound and behind the plate.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

The tank rolls on. I am glad to see Tucker continue to get ABs even though I hope the assessment is more oriented around him getting ABs in general rather than him being considered as a utility player.

IMO Frazier should be sent off for whatever can be gotten in return as soon as possible, and Tucker given a look in the infield. Newman at 2B makes more sense in the medium-run too, although it's an open question at this point whether either of them will provide the kind of consistent performance you want at either position.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Tucker everyday SS, Newman everyday 2B, Hayes everyday 3B. Frazier somewhere who'll have him, Moran mostly DHing while his bat is hot.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't think Moran is an everyday player.

We just saw a case in point as to why Tucker should be playing shortstop. It's not like he's merely a fine shortstop – he is a plus defender there. He should mostly be playing there, with Newman at 2B and Frazier in RF. Rotate things around some, but there's no reason Tucker should be shoehorned into a positon where he will give back value defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad