OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Seven Springs Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Just got this text from a buddy of mine:

my dad was talking to his buddy that works for the Pirates, some of you may know him. Mike Luft Sr.
He’s worked for the Pirates since I was a kid. His son Mike also works for the Pirates. He was athletic director at Serra high at one point i think.
He stops by the store and tells my dad the other day he depressed everyone is at the office (working for Pirates) tons of cutbacks, etc.
But what they really don’t like is how the last few years they’ve scaled back even more with scouting, interest in adding people, etc. says they used to be all about finding ‘value signings’ but even that is gone. Cut backs on international stuff. Facilities. Amenities.
Says the plan is for Nutting to transfer ownership to his daughter when he is older. That they make so much money on the team, there is no way they would ever sell for any rational amount.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can't wait for the MLB to be destroyed. This entire league needs to be torn down and rebuilt. A broken league with greedy as shit billionaire owners and millionaire players who try to play the victim.

The MLB deserves everything that's coming their way, it's going to become an afterthought after this year gets canned and the lockout kills another year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can't wait for the MLB to be destroyed. This entire league needs to be torn down and rebuilt. A broken league with greedy as shit billionaire owners and millionaire players who try to play the victim.

The MLB deserves everything that's coming their way, it's going to become an afterthought after this year gets canned and the lockout kills another year.
Nah the MLB isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nah the MLB isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

It's definitely not going to disappear, but it has already been declining in interest in recent years and missing out on 2 years will make it worse. They've been trying to find ways to speed up games and make them more entertaining in recent years, and 2 lost years is going to dramatically hurt interest in the league IMO.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
This shutdown could not have come at a worse time for the MLB.

In a best case world, they hammer something out to get something quick and dirty for 2020 and turn right around and start Part B of the fight with the new CBA next year. Worst case is that they lose 2020 totally and the fight for 2020 seamlessly bleeds into the CBA negotiations (because why wouldn't it) and 2021 plays with the constant media sniping from the owners and 2022 is on the verge of making 1994 look like a dream.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
If MLB wants to make the league more exciting, then they need to shorten the season. Run from Memorial Day to Labor Day. No change-of-pace rules or juiced balls are going to make the games feel more important, thus giving them weight and intrigue.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I have an award for Bob Nutting:

not-as-big-of-a-jerk-as-you-could-have-42610579.png

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I mean suspending 401k match for corporate jobs is perfectly reasonable. Better than losing salary. (Mine was suspended).

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
I mean suspending 401k match for corporate jobs is perfectly reasonable. Better than losing salary. (Mine was suspended).
if this is just another corporate job why would the product on the field look any different? either sports are inherently different or they are not and nutting is doing what any true friedman loving capitalist would do and maximizing profits just like my corporate employer does

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
if this is just another corporate job why would the product on the field look any different? either sports are inherently different or they are not and nutting is doing what any true friedman loving capitalist would do and maximizing profits just like my corporate employer does

It's most likely a 3% 401k match that was suspended in the midst of a pandemic, for some of the more highly paid non-player employees in the organization. 3% of people's compensation. Actually less than that when considering health insurance (which makes up about 15-20% of total compensation but it's just not on your W2). Chill out.

And for the record, most of sports front office work is just another corporate job. Just a prestigious corporate job that a lot of people want to get.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh god the Pirates rotation is going to be ghastly this year. They might as well just sell off any valuable players as soon as the roster freeze is lifted. Even if their offense is good, they'll be giving up 5-7 runs a game.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
That Archer trade was terrible at the time it was made and just keeps getting worse. Reminds me of the Caps trading Forsberg for Erat. Caps never traded their young talent and then one year they decide to try to get better for a run and overpaid out the ass with the young talent for an older guy whose numbers were declining and boom.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Getting archer wasn’t the problem. The price we paid was. Archer was still young and had good stuff, considered a good starter, etc.

Management and coaching bombed him and now the injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad