OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Sell the Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
oh man this years draft and kids 4 years away at least from the majors are where we have to hang our hopes

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Sorry to interrupt the usual Pirates whine party, but with 3 games to go, Mason Martin leads the GCL with a 1.106 OPS, the 3rd highest in the long history of the Gulf Coast League. He also just set the team record for homers in a season, for a club the Bucs have had for 50 years now. Not bad for a 17th round pick just out of high school. Very patient hitter, with serious power. Interestingly, Justin Morneau holds the all-time record OPS of 1.143.

It appears that 2017 was a stellar draft class for the Bucs, and their DCL team has churned out a ton of legit prospects these last 2 seasons. Some real high upside guys too in Apostel, Inoa, Castro, Sanchez, and Portorreal.

It's hard to get excited for these super young guys when we've seen under the radar/outta nowhere guys shoot through the system and then either get trapped in AAA because of reasons (Brault) or get called up to sit and watch ****** veterans get a 10 to 1 AB ratio over you (Diaz, Hanson, Osuna).

Just look at Diaz... we're about a year away from him being totally untouchable, allegedly, in trade talks (most notably with Texas for, I think, Mitch Moreland). Now he's consistently playing 3rd catcher and Chris Stewart's back-up.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, Kingham is out of options next year, so they need to try and see something from him, even if it's in a RP role. I've read that Brault and Glasnow will get September starts, but we'll see. Probably should just shut Nova down, and move Kuhl to a bullpen role. Wouldn't be too shocked if it's Nova and Taillon, though.

ResignCraigAdams

Mar 15, 2017
Yeah, Kingham is out of options next year, so they need to try and see something from him, even if it's in a RP role. I've read that Brault and Glasnow will get September starts, but we'll see. Probably should just shut Nova down, and move Kuhl to a bullpen role. Wouldn't be too shocked if it's Nova and Taillon, though.

Those would be my two guesses as well. I'd watch the games just to see how these guys perform. At this point, I couldn't care less about wins.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, those are definitely the only reasons I can think of to tune in right now.

BTW, another good start from Glasnow recently. 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 Ks.

ResignCraigAdams

Mar 15, 2017
Luplow with his first career homerun.

I'm tired of seeing Polanco keep being marched out there. I'm not saying Luplow is the answer but competition for RF is a good thing.

Watch Hurdle give Jaso the start in RF tomorrow :laugh:.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Not watching, but Kuhl looks like he is turning in a fantastic start. There might be something to letting him ride things out with a few more September starts - it's not like anything matters. I do feel like over the course of the season, he's shown to be more of a #5 type, without significantly more upside, and so with the pitcher jam, it makes sense to deploy him as a dominant backend of the bullpen guy. Still, in fairness he has certainly turned in some impressive starts, and neither him being good in the back of the bullpen, or another starter even replicating his season from this year are foregone conclusions.

Brault is starting tomorrow, and surprisingly it's the first lefty all season getting a start. He has not been impressive in the bit that I've seen of him in MLB this year, but between his AAA season and his makeup, he's definitely someone we should see 4-5 times this month so that we can get some sense heading into next year.

Glasnow obviously too, but I almost think it's better to handle him with some caution, maybe getting him 2-3 starts and hoping he does well, to keep the season ending on a high note. Not that he should be babied, but he's done well to turn it around and get some momentum, and he's already at a career high for innings. Brault certainly has a lower ceiling, but there aren't a ton of starts to even go around, and he's earned something of a look for his AAA performance. I'd probably rather see Kingham a few times than see Glasnow in meaningless games at the end of the season. It's not too complicated with him - he has either figured out how to harness his pitches and repeat his delivery, in which case he will be an impressive rookie, or else he will go back to maddening inconsistency, prompting a bullpen decision perhaps. Neither of those options are going to be cemented by a couple meaningless September starts, and in any case, maybe better to have him hungry in camp again.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Reminds me the one year when they re-signed GMNH to an extension in August, but didn't reveal it until Sept. 11, in the middle of an 9-11 tribute.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
4 years?!?!?!

tenor.gif

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I would honestly have been very surprised if Hurdle wasn't at least here next year. I definitely think it's time for some new blood, and while I don't want to read into this too much, it certainly looks like a signal that they will attempt to patch things together with this core, rather than do a pivot in the offseason by moving Cole and some others. Cutch is a different story -- I think it's possible he'll be traded in the winter no matter what, but there may be some lingering doubts that keep his value somewhat pedestrian, so who knows.

Probably the best case scenario next year would be for the depth options to stay healthy and viable, and for Glasnow to really break out, which might open up a scenario where we are able to trade Cole for a huge ransom at the deadline even if things are going somewhat well.

But for right now, everything is really a mess, and we get to see some kids play hopefully very often, and figure out the next steps when the dust settles. This season can't end soon enough.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It would have been nice had they done anything to deserve that these past couple years, rather than drive the franchise back into the gutter.

I was a big believer in Neal and I still think he can be a good GM for a team starting a re-build, but he's made it abundantly clear that he has no ****ing clue how to improve a Major League team other than hope that the prospects can get the job done.

Clint's positives expired last year, there's nothing left but rotting garbage...and you extend him for four years, basically guaranteeing that there's no chance this cheap-ass ownership even considers firing him until 2020.

Eat ****, Nutting.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
It would have been nice had they done anything to deserve that these past couple years, rather than drive the franchise back into the gutter.

I was a big believer in Neal and I still think he can be a good GM for a team starting a re-build, but he's made it abundantly clear that he has no ****ing clue how to improve a Major League team other than hope that the prospects can get the job done.

Clint's positives expired last year, there's nothing left but rotting garbage...and you extend him for four years, basically guaranteeing that there's no chance this cheap-ass ownership even considers firing him until 2020.

Eat ****, Nutting.

My thoughts exactly. Especially the last part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad