OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Sell the Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
So with all of this crap being done by the front office, do we see Cutch getting traded this offseason? With everyone healthy (or out of legal trouble) I think this team could field a pretty decent roster. They'd probably have to add some decent starters and relievers (which we'll obviously cheap out on) but I still think they can be competitive as is. I'm higher on Polanco than most, though, which may be why.

Anyway, if Cutch gets traded, how negatively do you see the reaction being? Attendance dropped 20% each of the past 2 years. Without the face of the franchise, how much more could it drop???

At this point, I'm past the point of caring about attendance. This is the first year since sometimes in the early 90's I will not have attended a Pirates game in person.

I know the attendance and crap influences how the team's finances are handled and spent and whatnot, but I can't do it anymore. July 31st, 2017 was my breaking point. This team doesn't care at all about the MLB product. They want a nice, tidy balance sheet with no red (which is their right). Before I could see something they were building towards, now I see cost cutting, ****** roster management, loyalty towards washed-up has beens and a fan friendly manager.

I hope they trade Cutch so he can get a chance to play for a real team with real hopes of having a championship season.

Yeah, I think you're looking at it wrong I think. It's only 28 innings, but he has been very solid. In those 28 innings, he has a 34/10 K/BB ratio, 3.77 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and his FIP and xFIP have actually been lower at 3.03/3.12.

I may be been drinking and stating :laugh:

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I see that now... I don't know where I made those numbers up from. I was on B-R on Mitch's page and those numbers were there 15 minutes ago, now they're not. Either I'm hallucinating or caught B-R during some kind of update. I thought it was weird that he was listed as 140 IP in AA and 12 IP each in A- and A+.

Please ignore the ramblings of this madman. :laugh:

i thought i missed a few starts or something. i was confused :laugh:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
At this point, I'm past the point of caring about attendance. This is the first year since sometimes in the early 90's I will not have attended a Pirates game in person.

I know the attendance and crap influences how the team's finances are handled and spent and whatnot, but I can't do it anymore. July 31st, 2017 was my breaking point. This team doesn't care at all about the MLB product. They want a nice, tidy balance sheet with no red (which is their right). Before I could see something they were building towards, now I see cost cutting, ****** roster management, loyalty towards washed-up has beens and a fan friendly manager.

I hope they trade Cutch so he can get a chance to play for a real team with real hopes of having a championship season.
I'm not concerned with attendance from a "they'll have more money to fund the team" standpoint, either. I guess my interest stems from a fantasy of such horrible attendance, fan outrage and boycotts, and scathing media that Ownership, the front office...someone has to acknowledge it and do something about it. Even with thing the way they are presently, the team will still make money. I'd love to see the city revolt against Nutting. I know that's a fantasy though

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I'm not concerned with attendance from a "they'll have more money to fund the team" standpoint, either. I guess my interest stems from a fantasy of such horrible attendance, fan outrage and boycotts, and scathing media that Ownership, the front office...someone has to acknowledge it and do something about it. Even with thing the way they are presently, the team will still make money. I'd love to see the city revolt against Nutting. I know that's a fantasy though

If it didn't happen somewhere between 1993-2012 it's not gonna happen now.:laugh:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
If it didn't happen somewhere between 1993-2012 it's not gonna happen now.:laugh:
I see that era as more front office incompetence and horrible management decisions.

This is plain refusal to do everything within the realm of possibility to field a competitive team

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I see that era as more front office incompetence and horrible management decisions.

This is plain refusal to do everything within the realm of possibility to field a competitive team

The management was much more incompetent back then and that is the major difference. It's not like the team was throwing money around in the 2000's. Who was their best free agent signing from all of those years? Sean Casey maybe? Their biggest signing one year was Derek Bell.

It was simply the current Pirates with absolutely rock bottom scouting, drafting and development.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I mean if the Pirates, after saving a good deal of money on Matre and Kang this year, need to place a 1.5 bWAR middle reliever on waivers to save ~$600k, I think it's time to sell the team.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
This team doesn't care at all about the MLB product. They want a nice, tidy balance sheet with no red (which is their right).

Once ownership refunds the tax dollars that built PNC Park, then I will buy this argument. Name another business where taxpayers build your office/factory and your biggest competitors share their profits with you.

I hate the "its a business" type responses. Though technically true, it really ignores the reality. MLB should force Pirates' ownership to sell or install a salary-floor.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Looking at the box score, they actually brought in Rivero when they were already down a couple of touchdowns to prevent them from converting them?

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Looking at the box score, they actually brought in Rivero when they were already down a couple of touchdowns to prevent them from converting them?

When you lose by 10 everyday you have to get the closer out there in non-save situations occasionally so he isn't sitting a week at a time.

Plus you should know the value of those extra points after all of the Steelers missed 2-pt conversion. :laugh:

They should just release Rivero too. This team has no need for a closer and doesn't deserve one as dominating as Rivero. He feels very out of place in that ****show of a pen.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I still will defend Huntington as the only real determinate option to give this team a shot, and be at least viable from an organizational depth point of view, but that statement sure is a load of garbage. I am actually not sure if I think it's entirely ********, but what I really have a hard time understanding is why we didn't just trade him for some random asset? Instead we gave him away for nothing to a bad team, perhaps just to basically spite the Brewers or Cubs? Cool I guess, but strategically stupid, and looks really bad.

It's also hard to take the idea about other pitchers getting innings really seriously when Osuna is baking in the sun on the bench and Jaso is out there every day, not to even mention Chris Stewart.

The only real things of interest that remain this year are everybody avoiding big injuries and what Glasnow does when he gets a couple of chances to start.

Just checked on Glasnow, really encouraging that he's gone 6 starts in a row with just 1 or 2 BBs (4x1, 2x2). All 6+ innings, just a handful of hits, lots of Ks. It makes some sense to just let him stay on that roll in AAA, but I think he should basically be here as soon as possible so that we can see him 5 times or so in September as long as he has the innings in his arm. If those can carry over, that would be an extremely encouraging note for next year... I think at this point, Kuhl has really shown that he's destined for the bullpen. Brault has seemed very mediocre to me, but I wouldn't be adverse to seeing what he does with a few starts, if Nova or someone goes down with a faked injury (though you could make the same argument for letting Kuhl ride the season out and seeing how he is - it just seems like a pretty clear patter that he can be very good for stretches and then unravel like clockwork).

Last edited by a moderator:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Yeah, it is a bs explanation and it always was going to be a bs explanation because of course Huntington isn't going to say that they dumped a useful player to save a buck in a hopeless season. Still can't believe this team.

I would forgive Nutting for all of his misgivings straight up if he used a bit of his money to launch Hurdle, Jaso, and Stewart deep into the cold vacuum of space.

Just play the ****ing kids and call it a season.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sorry to interrupt the usual Pirates whine party, but with 3 games to go, Mason Martin leads the GCL with a 1.106 OPS, the 3rd highest in the long history of the Gulf Coast League. He also just set the team record for homers in a season, for a club the Bucs have had for 50 years now. Not bad for a 17th round pick just out of high school. Very patient hitter, with serious power. Interestingly, Justin Morneau holds the all-time record OPS of 1.143.

It appears that 2017 was a stellar draft class for the Bucs, and their DCL team has churned out a ton of legit prospects these last 2 seasons. Some real high upside guys too in Apostel, Inoa, Castro, Sanchez, and Portorreal.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Sorry to interrupt the usual Pirates whine party, but with 3 games to go, Mason Martin leads the GCL with a 1.106 OPS, the 3rd highest in the long history of the Gulf Coast League. He also just set the team record for homers in a season, for a club the Bucs have had for 50 years now. Not bad for a 17th round pick just out of high school. Very patient hitter, with serious power. Interestingly, Justin Morneau holds the all-time record OPS of 1.143.

It appears that 2017 was a stellar draft class for the Bucs, and their DCL team has churned out a ton of legit prospects these last 2 seasons. Some real high upside guys too in Apostel, Inoa, Castro, Sanchez, and Portorreal.

the pirates have hope!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad