Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
get_on_with_it__by_the_werewolfangel-d7fosfa.gif

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm going to try and avoid posting a deluge of bad trade ideas in this thread between now and tomorrow at 10:15. But, one reclamation project that we haven't heard a lot about is the Giants own Matt Moore. Beyond the fact that Moore is intriguing in the abstract, it's hard to see much of an angle: his peripherals are bad, and his velocity is down. But, he might come pretty cheap, and if Searage does turn him around, he has two very affordable option years left on his deal. Short of going for a more viable impact SP, I'd prefer something like this to a deal that's more lateral to the option of Kuhl and others without the potential upside beyond 2017 if Searage can work his magic.

Still, with the velocity ticking down, it's hard to see the real path to any upside. I don't totally love the idea of Nunez, but maybe the Red Sox are potentially going to just let Devers play instead of trading one of their few assets. If we could package them up for one solid asset and maybe a wild card or two, it might be worth the gamble. The Giants don't really have a lot of pitching in their pipeline, so maybe we could swing something with one of the mid-list pitchers and a bat like Bostick. I'd prefer to hang on to Brault unless we were moving him as part of a package for Gray or something, but we have several guys with potential rotation upside and years of control, if the Giants are planning to go in a different direction from Moore after this year anyways.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Moore is a gas can. There's upside with him but I'm worried he's fixable. We've had a good track record with pitchers like this so I don't hate the idea.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Any upside deal is probably going to be something that emerges from a combination of scouts and Searage watching tape and the analytics work, so it's definitely difficult to say, but I always did like Moore when he was with the Rays, and I definitely expected him to be better in San Fransisco. He has had a handful of good starts, so maybe there's some reason to be optimistic. The Giants could easily decide to part ways with him, but he's always been an intriguing pitcher, and with the little success he did have, and the fact that they gave up some decent value to get him, they could just as easy choose to exercise the option on him for 9 or 10 million. Bad pitchers make that in free agency all the time.

I did a little more digging and found this, which is more sober on his brief stint with the Giants after the deadline. It does look like some of his success had been due to pounding the bottom of the strike zone and avoiding walks, however.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I have to say, it's a little bit tempting to read into the idea that the Pirates wouldn't pick up Cutch's option that it's a ploy to get a huge offer for him. It could just be BS from Biertempfel, but there's no way that we don't trade Cutch and also don't pick up his option, unless the latter means deal him before the decision is necessary or pick it up and deal him no matter what.

Brewers are off today and the Cubs have the White Sox early this week. Brewers are playing the Nationals Tues-Thurs, and then Brewers and Cubs meet over the weekend. Doesn't mean too much other than there's a fairly good chance the Cubs will overtake them this week. We need lots of wins: 4-2 minimum, 5-1 ideally. If we can just get back to strong baseball, and execute against poor teams, 4-2 would be fine, and 5-1 would probably naturally result, except I don't think we can count on the offense not to tank a winnable game for us.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
1-2 was what I expected out of Colorado. Would have hoped for closer contests but it was Coors Field and the back end of the rotation...

4-2 is the minimum for these next two series. Back-to-back sweeps may seem like too much too ask but the Giants and Padres stink. Need to take full advantage.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I have to say, it's a little bit tempting to read into the idea that the Pirates wouldn't pick up Cutch's option that it's a ploy to get a huge offer for him. It could just be BS from Biertempfel, but there's no way that we don't trade Cutch and also don't pick up his option, unless the latter means deal him before the decision is necessary or pick it up and deal him no matter what.

Brewers are off today and the Cubs have the White Sox early this week. Brewers are playing the Nationals Tues-Thurs, and then Brewers and Cubs meet over the weekend. Doesn't mean too much other than there's a fairly good chance the Cubs will overtake them this week. We need lots of wins: 4-2 minimum, 5-1 ideally. If we can just get back to strong baseball, and execute against poor teams, 4-2 would be fine, and 5-1 would probably naturally result, except I don't think we can count on the offense not to tank a winnable game for us.

Wait, what? Somebody is suggesting that we won't pick up McCutchen's option? He's returned to form (not MVP form, but still very good hitter form) and $14.5 million is nothing for one year. He's either getting traded or we'll pick up the option. To do neither would be the most braindead thing NH could do and should be grounds for an immediate dismissal. He's made some bad moves, but he isn't an idiot. There's no way that happens.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Wait, what? Somebody is suggesting that we won't pick up McCutchen's option? He's returned to form (not MVP form, but still very good hitter form) and $14.5 million is nothing for one year. He's either getting traded or we'll pick up the option. To do neither would be the most braindead thing NH could do and should be grounds for an immediate dismissal. He's made some bad moves, but he isn't an idiot. There's no way that happens.

Yeah I don't think that is anything that even needs to be discussed at this point. I'm essentially treating it like he is under contract for next year.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Freese in the lineup again, and Frazier getting the start in RF. Gotta pick up a win in this one to get some momentum moving back in our direction. White Sox have a favorably matchup in Rodon vs. Lackey tomorrow, so maybe they'll rattle off a few games and help us. Unfortunately, they aren't facing Quintana, so no extra extra motivation.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Buccos need the bats to come out today. The Giants are awful but the pitching gets much better the rest of the series after tonight but Cain is a BP pitcher at this point. We have to take advantage and hopefully the top of our rotation can shut down their garbage offense unlike last time we played them.

The last series vs them in PNC felt like the realistic end of doing anything this season. Please don't let this series do that again.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
There's just no reason for him to be playing this much. And he's been pretty public about not wanting to. Just another round of Hurdle sticking with a vet just because he's a vet, and one more reason why I don't trust him as a manager.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Buccos need the bats to come out today. The Giants are awful but the pitching gets much better the rest of the series after tonight but Cain is a BP pitcher at this point. We have to take advantage and hopefully the top of our rotation can shut down their garbage offense unlike last time we played them.

The last series vs them in PNC felt like the realistic end of doing anything this season. Please don't let this series do that again.

Wow, you aren't kidding. I don't know how I missed the fact that Cain turned into trash immediately after signing that absurd contract.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Piling on one player is never fun, but we seem to have little margin for error with the offense right now, so at minimum he needs to be hitting sixth or seventh if he's actually going to play so much. Polanco's injury has left Hurdle with less options. Hopefully he heats up starting tonight.

In other news, Newman is off to a very strong start in AAA.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Wow, you aren't kidding. I don't know how I missed the fact that Cain turned into trash immediately after signing that absurd contract.

Yup, forget about Cy Young votes or ace material, the guy hasn't even sniffed #5 starter/long relief in a long time. The only reason he is anywhere near the majors anymore is his contract and his history because he's been about as bad as you can be for a regular starter in the majors for 3 yrs straight. This is the 3rd year in a row that his ERA and FIP are over 5.00 and his WHIP is over 1.50. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad