OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Let the Kids Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Lyles' stuff looks very good to me. One thing that will be interesting to track is how much leeway we'll give him in a game like this one, if the score holds, in terms of the third time through the order. I'm inclined to say we shouldn't be hasty, but the 6th inning options might not be the most ideal, at least not until we have Crick back. Tonight, I think we might be a little more lenient, since the weather will hopefully stifle offense just a bit.

I don't want to constantly relitigate the Archer trade every couple days in this thread, so I'll make one comment here and leave it at that. My view is that Glasnow was never going to reach his potential in this organization. Some blame is certainly in order on Searage and the staff, but I think a big part of it had to do with how much he listened to the coaching he received, and how his skill level made it such that AAA was basically irrelevant for him in terms of forcing him to work on things he needed to work on. In that sense, and that sense only, I see a definite logic towards getting a high-value, proven MLB asset for him, despite the fact that 1) it was an overall organizational failure, and 2) the strategic upside of the Archer trade in conjunction with everything else is really suspect. (The latter is really my major criticism: my attitude is basically, within reason, f*** prospects, but we should have been more "cavalier" with spending to maximize our chance in this window).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Beyond the usual third time through the order stuff, another reason to potentially limit Lyles might be his pitch count. It doesn't seem like this will be much of an issue tonight, since he's almost definitely going to be under 70 pitches here after the 5th, but even though he's built up to 100 pitches, I wouldn't be shocked if he still has some endurance issues, maybe command sharpness, etc.

We'll find out soon enough. 3-1 is pretty close, and I'm worried about the 6th inning, but he's also been sharp tonight, so I'm not sure. If we had RichRod, Crick, Kela, and Vazquez, I'd say to go with that, but I think I lean towards letting him start the 6th and having a fairly quick hook. But, in that case, we don't have a very good fireman – I think that's what we have tried out with RichRod (given his K rate), and it didn't work very well.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nice work from RichRod. Good to see that the slider is both missing bats and generating lots of weak contact. Bails out some weak infield defense, although in Frazier's defense (slightly), that was a tricky play.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think he had some up to 95. I'm a bit worried with him – maybe it was the cold tonight, but the walk to Bryant (I think) was a misstep. At minimum, it's going to take quite a while to get over the feeling of being burned late in games we should win... which means that almost every win for a while might feel like a relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad