OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Let the Kids Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So a 5 game suspension for a pitcher is actually just a 1 start suspension, right? My first impression was getting 5 for that seems ridiculous, but if it's only 1 actual start, that's not bad.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah it's just one start, and with the off days up ahead, it seems pretty easy to manipulate to not even be that, if we want to. I think we might want to treat it as a situational thing. I've seen some people suggest this, but taking the chance on something like a spot start from Eduardo Vera, who teams aren't going to have a lot of tape on, might be a way to go and steal a game while Archer is serving his "suspension." Obviously that's a risk you feel more comfortable with if you already win a game in a series, so I'm not sure there's much of a way to control it.

He's appealing it, so my guess is that we won't find out what the plan is until after his start on Friday. There are plenty of ways for him to not really even miss a start, given the off days in the next week and a half.

In some other news, Diaz is up to AAA for his rehab assignment. Have to assume that when he's ready, Reyes will go to AAA and we'll start carrying three catchers. I would figure that Martin will continue to play often until Dickerson or Polanco is ready to return. They seem like they might be lined up to return at around the same time, but it's pretty obvious that Melky has cemented his role off the bench, so Martin and Shuck will be the odd guys out.

The only real question I see confronting them is what to do when Chisenhall is healthy, if nobody else goes down. When Crick is ready, Brault probably goes to Indy. I don't think Newman has played his way off the team just yet. Chisenhall seems almost superfluous with Melky cemented into the mix, but his bat would probably be better off the bench. We could be in a position to have four pretty good bench bats, two lefties and two righties, although no true power option.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Throwing at somebody for showboating is stupid, so I don't really have a problem with the suspension. If the other team is pitching inside without the control to do so effectively or is continually going up and in on someone (like Chapman used to do to Cutch), sure. Hit one of their guys. I don't think it actually changes anything, but I do think it builds some team chemistry by saying "I got your back". But for showboating? Unless it is real excessive, who cares?

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You want Archer to drop his appeal when your playing a bunch of games in a row.

His next 2 scheduled starts are on the 12th and 19th.

Let him pitch the 19th.

Start serving his suspension on the 20th, Then he can pitch on the 25th.

So basically you would just be pushing back one of his starts one day.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think I'd go Lyles and Musgrove to finish this series hoping to take 1 then hit the Nats with the Williams-Archer-Taillon trifecta to match Scherzer-Sanchez-Strasburg.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I think I'd go Lyles and Musgrove to finish this series hoping to take 1 then hit the Nats with the Williams-Archer-Taillon trifecta to match Scherzer-Sanchez-Strasburg.

I think the idea of shuffling you rotation to match up pitchers is stupid.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Isn't it going to play out that way anyways, assuming no rainouts? I think it lines up to be Archer, Williams, then Taillon in game 3 of the Nats series.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Then what need would there to be to comment on the order of the rotation if there would be no change in the order of the rotation or at least no assumption that the order will be changed?

Its like saying "i think Murray should start games 1". As if there was another option on the table?

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Austin Meadows would look pretty good in the OF right about now.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Austin Meadows would look pretty good in the OF right about now.

We traded him AND Glasnow away in the same deal.

I was on this forum for years saying Glasnow's stuff was the best I've ever seen from a Pirates pitcher during his minor league career (watched him numerous times live). His biggest issue was consistency in terms of putting the ball where he wanted it to go. Pirates never got him anywhere near corrected. He leaves and instantly becomes a much better pro.

Ray Searage is so f***ing overrated.

Them thriving in Tampa just proves that Nutting isn't the only problem.

Cole gets traded and turns into a legit ace. Hell Morton was an AS caliber pitcher after he got out of here.

Reactions: DanielPlainview

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I would love to know ( maybe not you to be fair, but people in general,) why people believe this is in any way relevant to year to year operations i.e. Payroll

Speaking only for my own person-in-general self, I view the Pirate franchise as Nutting's investment. The information from Forbes about the value of the franchise tells me what Nutting's return on investment has been. Although this investment return has yet to be realized (just as my 401K investment isn't realized until I withdraw the money), it is probably a fairly accurate assessment coming from Forbes.

Being retired, my 401K's performance from year to year determines how much money I have to include in my yearly budget for discretionary expenses. So realized or not, my investment return is the most significant factor in how much I spend in my life. In a bull market I spend more. In a bear market I slash my discretionary spending. Frankly, I see Nutting's franchise investment as comparable. He's been reaping the benefits of a bull market for a decade, but his discretionary spending does not reflect that.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Speaking only for my own person-in-general self, I view the Pirate franchise as Nutting's investment. The information from Forbes about the value of the franchise tells me what Nutting's return on investment has been. Although this investment return has yet to be realized (just as my 401K investment isn't realized until I withdraw the money), it is probably a fairly accurate assessment coming from Forbes.

Being retired, my 401K's performance from year to year determines how much money I have to include in my yearly budget for discretionary expenses. So realized or not, my investment return is the most significant factor in how much I spend in my life. In a bull market I spend more. In a bear market I slash my discretionary spending. Frankly, I see Nutting's franchise investment as comparable. He's been reaping the benefits of a bull market for a decade, but his discretionary spending does not reflect that.

If your using your 401k to budget discretionaty spending you are doing it wrong.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wtf is Jordan Lyles actually good or something? Running another scoreless outing, 7 strikeouts, 0 walks and 2 hits in 4 innings through 56 pitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad