OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Home of the Korean Baseball Jesus | 이것은 문자 그대로 횡설수설입니다

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
RTJR!!!! Would be really nice to win tomorrow and go into a tough series with the Giants on a roll.

Gotta say i'm quite please with Morton so far. He's doing what he needs to out there.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
McCutchen made two kids lives last night.

''I love you, man! I love you!''

053015_pitsd_cutch_fan_cut4_x07yhaya.gif

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2015/05/31...es-to-adorable-fans?tcid=tw_article_127678936

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I really hope Cutch stays in Pittsburgh for the long haul (of course the price has to be right). Pittsburgh is a team that can rarely afford to keep stars around until the end and be successful but he is such a leader and cog for this franchise. Comes off as a great human being as well as a great ball player.

The next contract for him will probably be a massive over payment for a guy heading into his 30's. Once he losses his speed (bat/running) i do think he'll decline quite a bit. But hopefully he can remain at a reasonable cost.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Bob Walk describing Polanco as a "train wreck" sliding into second base. lol

Compared him to Lonnie Smith the long time Cardinal/Brave and former Bucco.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
Yeah, that was something special to watch. Cutch is a gem, in every possibly way.

There was a thread about 4-5 years ago asking if McCutcheon was the greatest or one of the greatest Pirates ever. I personally felt he had to do more. I am now convinced he should be in the conversation. He hasn't reached Clemente or Stargell and many more older, but he is definitely top ten or higher

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
There was a thread about 4-5 years ago asking if McCutcheon was the greatest or one of the greatest Pirates ever. I personally felt he had to do more. I am now convinced he should be in the conversation. He hasn't reached Clemente or Stargell and many more older, but he is definitely top ten or higher

who is mccutcheon?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

If we are just talking about class Cutch is in the top 5 in my book.

Now as far as greatest Pirates ever stats wise? He has a bit to go to be considered in the top 10. Will he get there? If he stays a Pirate he has a shot but with UFA now a huge part of the game its probably not likely. Lets not forget that this club has an amazing history of players that have graced it.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
If Charlie is able to put the injuries behind him he is a great #4 to have in the rotation. As I said before, talent wise I believe he is our best pitcher. Just look at the movement of his 2 seamer. I haven't seen movement like that since Greg Maddux's hey days. And that curve of his looks like he is throwing a whiffle ball when its on. :laugh:

He is the the most polarizing pitcher on the staff for me. He frustrates me to no end because I see what he is truly capable of and yet once a bad inning starts it usually snowballs out of control.

Ground Chuck. In two starts so far he has 34 ground outs. :amazed:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
His biggest frustration is that he is so rarely healthy that he can string starts together like this. If he can stay healthy, this is what he's going to give us.

And I think Bob Walk was actually right about something last night - you don't want a big strikeout number with Morton. It's great that he can use that as a tool at times, but he's at his best when he's pitching to contact. He easily could have gone 8 innings last night with his pitch count, but with Watson available there was no reason to push him.

As for Cutch's place in the Pirates Pantheon...#1 is, and probably always will be, Honus Wagner. It's hard to argue against the best short stop of all-time and an arguable top 5 player of all-time. By the time he's done in Pittsburgh I can see Cutch slotting in anywhere from 3rd to 10th. As we've seen with our past players, winning a championship plays a huge role in how a player is perceived. It's criminal how underrated the two Waners, especially Paul, are...but that's what happens when you play for the Pirates between those 1925 & 1961 Championships, there were a lot of really bad teams anchored by all-time greats (Arky Vaughan was a top 5 short stop of all-time and completely forgotten and it took the Veterans Committee to finally put him in the damn Hall of Fame, & Big Poison only got his number retired in 2007, for example). I don't think it's controversial at all to say that Mazeroski would be a footnote if not for that one certain at bat in 1961.
I was always miffed at how Vaughan's number never got retired until I just realized that he wore #21 for most of his time in Pittsburgh and Clemente started wearing that number before the Pirates had retired any player numbers (the retrospective weird retirement of Billy Meyer's #1 came the year before Clemente, Wagner's was the first player to get his number retired in 1956...though the Pirates had to be creative there as he played in the days before numbers).
Clemente is basically cemented into the top 2 if only because of the myth surrounding the man...I mean, when you die on a humanitarian mission just months after your 3,000th hit you're not going to be forgotten, and rightfully so.

McCutchen does keep the Pirates' tradition of having the league's best people on the roster, though...Wagner, Clemente, Stargell, McCutchen.

Last edited:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
His biggest frustration is that he is so rarely healthy that he can string starts together like this. If he can stay healthy, this is what he's going to give us.

And I think Bob Walk was actually right about something last night - you don't want a big strikeout number with Morton. It's great that he can use that as a tool at times, but he's at his best when he's pitching to contact. He easily could have gone 8 innings last night with his pitch count, but with Watson available there was no reason to push him.

Agree 100%. I don't care about his strikeout #s. He's called "Ground Chuck" for a good reason.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Cutch will easily be a top 10 Pirate when it's all said and done.

1. Honus Wagner (Greatest SS ever. Unreal production in the dead ball era)

2. Clemente (I generally think he was slightly overrated as a player but he was still HOF worthy and God like in his humanitarian efforts off the field)

3. Barry Bonds (I know, hate the man, but pre steroids he was still a 2 time MVP, with a runner up in Pittsburgh. Also a GG caliber outfielder and 40/40 type player. Major a-hole but HOF good and he never needed steroids to get there.)

4. Ralph Kiner (Led the league in Home Runs every year from 46-52. Career fell off a cliff after his age 30 season, much like a Griffey Jr. But he was the cream of the crop at hitting homers from the late 40's into the early 50's)

5. Pops Stargell (Huge clubhouse leader. MVP. His 1979 postseason was legendary and quite incredible considering he was 39. Was really a likable guy. Like Clemente, i think a bit overrated from a statistical standpoint but he brought more to the Pirates in the 70's than just numbers)

6. TBC.............

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore
How is it that I have the MLB package and the Sports package and this game is blacked out on Root, the San Diego version of root and has no MLB broadcast. I'm having to watch this out of Europe. Complete Bu....t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad