OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Home of the Korean Baseball Jesus | 이것은 문자 그대로 횡설수설입니다

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It bothers me that the Pirates hat is some messed up fashion statement, for those of us that are fans and seeing absolute idiots wearing it and having no idea what it stands for...I want to punch them in the throat.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Nice little article breaking down the Pirates offseason additions so far and projecting the Pirates are a (projected) Top 5 team the rest of the way.

The Pirates are 25-22. Not bad. Also potentially a bit misleading. Based on their runs scored and allowed, their record should be better than that. Based on their expected runs scored and allowed, their record should be better than that. I know that's a weird thing to think about, since runs are runs and wins are wins, but trust me that wins and losses aren't the only indicators of team performance and ability. We can also say this: at FanGraphs, the rest of the way, we have the Pirates projected as a top-five team.

And in a similar, but different article the Pirates have added the 2nd most expected wins/performance (behind the Yankees) since opening day. And to add an extra cherry on top, because of the Wainwright and Adams injuries (along with some under performing players) the Cards have dropped off their projected win/performance the most since opening day.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Watching the replay of last nights game now.

What is Greg Brown referring to when he calls a Polanco home run. "there's a cup of coffee for ya!"...?

I don't get the reference.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Watching the replay of last nights game now.

What is Greg Brown referring to when he calls a Polanco home run. "there's a cup of coffee for ya!"...?

I don't get the reference.

Polanco's nickname is "El Coffee." It's even his twitter handle. If I remember correctly, there's no real meaning to it, one of his managers just started calling him that and it stuck.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Polanco's nickname is "El Coffee." It's even his twitter handle. If I remember correctly, there's no real meaning to it, one of his managers just started calling him that and it stuck.

Oh, gotcha Waffle. I did not know that was his nickname. Makes sense now, haha.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Hey guyz.

jeff-karstens.png

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Hughes is only good when you put him into a high heat situation. Bases loaded, 2 outs and you desperately need an out, he's the man you want. Hughes starting an inning with a small lead is usually a recipe for disaster.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Well the two pitchers I distrust the most with a small lead didn't disappoint me.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's incredible how good Hughes is at pitching out of jams created by other pitchers and how ****ing horrible he is when he starts an inning.

This is a game that we should have won.

Scahill has generally been great, but that's his 3rd walk-off loss of the year. Maybe don't let him pitch the 9th in these situations.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I agree with you guys on Hughes, he shouldn't be brought in to start an inning.

Caminero should be the 7th inning guy IMO.

Caminero has outperformed Hughes, and Caminero stuff is about 100 times better then Hughes.

I feel like tonight is a big game, you got Locke pitching tomorrow, then you gotta play a hot Giants team.

If they lose tonight you can just kind of see it turning into a really bad road trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad