OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Home of the Korean Baseball Jesus | 이것은 문자 그대로 횡설수설입니다

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah Hanson is a guy i've always thought was a bit overrated but this year he's really grown as a hitter. His K rate is down to 17% which is very solid. He's got a lot of extra base hits as well (8 doubles, 6 trips, and 3 HR's). Speed on the paths. And from what i've heard and saw on 2 occasions (when he was in AA), his defense has come a long way. I'd rather not part with him given the fact that Walker should probably be traded for the betterment of the team long term....

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If (if, If, IF... just a thought exercise) Hanson does get dealt I would imagine that means the team has decided to keep Walker long term. Not that there has been any rumblings at all about this. But if they do decide to chase that big name pitcher/player at the deadline Hanson would probably be the 2nd name asked for by teams (22 year old AAA middle infielder with OK power, good speed and can put the bat in play. Not a very common type of player outside of Dilson Herrera, who I wish they wouldn't have parted with but it ended up relatively OK with Byrd at the end.

In terms of trade value the Pirates top prospects probably go something like-

1. Josh Bell
2. Alen Hanson
3. Tyler Glasnow
4. Reese McGuire
5. Austin Medows
6. Jameson Taillon
7. Nick Kingham (Tommy John isn't scary anymore, but still injured goods)
8. Harold Ramirez
9. Willy Garcia
10. Jacoby Jones
11. Cole Tucker

Feel free to disagree with all of this....

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Taillon easily has the most trade value of our prospects, after that I'd say Meadows, Bell, Hanson, & Taillon.

Ramirez can be dropped off entirely...he's too much of a long shot to be of much value. Tucker is higher, Jones is about right, Kingham is impossible to rank since he's out for a year (I'd say the position is about right for when he returns), Garcia...

Garcia I can definitely see us using as a trade chip. His value isn't huge by any means, but he's kinda screwed by Josh Bell's existence, as he takes the move to first base route out of the equation.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Just curious, anyone here subscribe to Pirates prospects.com?

i bought the 3 year or whatever subscription. between that and bucsdugout it's amazing how much better the coverage of the pirates is than if you relied on the pg or trib, with travis sawchik being the exception.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If (if, If, IF... just a thought exercise) Hanson does get dealt I would imagine that means the team has decided to keep Walker long term. Not that there has been any rumblings at all about this. But if they do decide to chase that big name pitcher/player at the deadline Hanson would probably be the 2nd name asked for by teams (22 year old AAA middle infielder with OK power, good speed and can put the bat in play. Not a very common type of player outside of Dilson Herrera, who I wish they wouldn't have parted with but it ended up relatively OK with Byrd at the end.

In terms of trade value the Pirates top prospects probably go something like-

1. Josh Bell
2. Alen Hanson
3. Tyler Glasnow
4. Reese McGuire
5. Austin Medows
6. Jameson Taillon
7. Nick Kingham (Tommy John isn't scary anymore, but still injured goods)
8. Harold Ramirez
9. Willy Garcia
10. Jacoby Jones
11. Cole Tucker

Feel free to disagree with all of this....

Glasnow is firmly #1. He is ahead of where Cole or Taillon was at the AA mark. Glasnow has flat out dominated every level of the minors. He's a top 10 prospect overall IMO and ultimately has a slightly higher ceiling than Cole....To me he is untouchable, unless somebody was stupid and gave us a young SP that is already established and doesn't have a ton of service time (like a Sonny Gray + other pieces). It would have to be a massive over payment.

I'd still put Meadows and Bell as the 2nd and 3rd options with Hanson close behind. Taillon has the ability to rise once he starts pitching. He hasn't thrown a baseball in a live game in well over a year. He's not #1 until he starts pitching like a front end starter again....

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I could see the Pirates trading Pedro this off season, then moving Walker to 1st base to open up a spot for Hansen at 2nd base.

I get so happy when i think about what next years starting rotation could look like

Cole
Taillon
Frankie
Glassnow(probably not til the middle of the year)
Charlie

That rotation could be so good.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I agree a proven healthy Taillon is the most valuable, but as of right now I think he's still considered damaged goods. It also all depends on the trading partner's needs and timeline as well.

I see Hanson as #2 because there's not too many MLB ready 2B with his skill sets.

I also think that you'd get more teams asking on Bell than Meadows (not a by a lot though) as there's a huge dearth of legit first base prospects, that won't hurt you in the field. Matt Olson (A's, might be moving to outfield), Greg Bird (Yankees, zero on defense and bat isn't looking great), Dom Brown (Mets, bat isn't what they thought yet) and AJ Reed (Astros, underrated 22 year old, TONS of power but still only Hi A). That's your top 5 1st base prospects, only Bell and Olson make any Top 100 lists (Brown sneaked into BP's Top 100 at 98). Those are my reasons I have Bell top.

I think you may be underselling Harold some. I think he's a long shot in this organization, but I can see a lot of GMs who's OF pipeline isn't flush with talent looking at his raw talent and athleticism as a top of the lineup on base guy salivating for a 20 year old like him.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You guys seriously don't see Glasnow as #1? He's our highest rated prospect and has out pitched Cole and Taillon (especially the latter) when looking at numbers through AA and then looking at age.

Don't see how anyone can not rank TG as our #1 asset at this point.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
You guys seriously don't see Glasnow as #1? He's our highest rated prospect and has out pitched Cole and Taillon (especially the latter) when looking at numbers through AA and then looking at age.

Don't see how anyone can not rank TG as our #1 asset at this point.

I see him as 2/3 at this point, above you can see why I picked Bell as my #1. When it comes down to Glasnow/Hanson/Meadows, it all depends on the team looking and their needs/timeline. I just see Hanson as more of a commodity because you can't go out and find a whole lot of young 2B with his profile of speed/power (30/15ish HRs and 25ish doubles, his gap power is underrated). While Glasnow is the better prospect, there's a lot of pitcher of a similar skill set out there. So Glasnow is the better player/prospect, Hanson is see as the rarer of the two.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
i bought the 3 year or whatever subscription. between that and bucsdugout it's amazing how much better the coverage of the pirates is than if you relied on the pg or trib, with travis sawchik being the exception.

Thanks djt. I think I am going to subscribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad