OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Duct Tape and Bubble Gum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It's been revisited, constantly.

I know I'm not a mod or have any power to tell you what can or cannot be discussed here, but you're just bringing up something that's been said the same way, and from the same information, multiple times in the past months and weeks and just cluttering up the thread and burning through the post counts.

Saying the trade was bad and Meadows is doing well is just repeating the same crap over and and over and serves no purpose to any discussion.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's been revisited, constantly.

I know I'm not a mod or have any power to tell you what can or cannot be discussed here, but you're just bringing up something that's been said the same way, and from the same information, multiple times in the past months and weeks and just cluttering up the thread and burning through the post counts.

Saying the trade was bad and Meadows is doing well is just repeating the same crap over and and over and serves no purpose to any discussion.

That's BS, I'm not "cluttering the thread". I revisit the topic at most once a week. You simply don't like reading what I post and are trying to get a mod to agree to limit my opinion.

And lastly, I was dead right. The guy you belittle, the guy you think is a joke was 100% right on the trade. I didn't mince words, I said it would be an MLB all time worse trade, and sure as hell is shaping up to be.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
A lot of people did. And now I'm starting to see people talk about another attempt to aid the rotation by trading away prospects. Some just never learn.

Reactions: John Titor

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
The point is all the people in this thread know the deal, they day it was announced, that it was a bad deal. So, yes, bringing it up "ad nauseum" is cluttering up this thread.

Unfortunately, we can't have sub-forums for our team and thus could have a separate thread just for the trade. Thus, please be aware that this thread is for the day to day discussion of the Pirates and that discussing a trade "every day" that happened 9 months ago is not healthy for the ongoing discussion.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The point is all the people in this thread know the deal, they day it was announced, that it was a bad deal. So, yes, bringing it up "ad nauseum" is cluttering up this thread.

Unfortunately, we can't have sub-forums for our team and thus could have a separate thread just for the trade. Thus, please be aware that this thread is for the day to day discussion of the Pirates and that discussing a trade "every day" that happened 9 months ago is not healthy for the ongoing discussion.

Just my 2 cents.

Which is why I don't bring it up day to day. But it will continually be brought randomly up until NH and staff are ushered away from the team.

this guy sums up my feelings of anger pretty well....

Barstool Sports

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
For me its hard to ignore the Archer trade.

If you follow MLB and not just the Pirates you see positive tweets and lots of talk praising Glasnow and Meadows throughout the year.

Then you watch Archer pitch and it just kind of rubs salt in the wounds if your a pirate fan.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Newman needs to play everyday 2nd base tucker who stole 35 bags in a season should get a shot a leading off Reynolds is the everyday LF until July when he moves to CF cause Marte is traded. Bell needs to hit 3rd tired of him hitting with no one on.
Musgrove khaul and the other guy recovering from TJ added to Crick and Nightmare gives us a great pen on paper next year

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm positive the only people who still bring up the Archer trade are just yinzer trolls. It's kinda sad, honestly. They made a bad trade, move on with your life. It's just obnoxious at this point because literally nothing new of value is being offered.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Is anyone hearing any names on who the Pirates might take with their first round pick in the draft on Monday night? Who are some players that you like?

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'm positive the only people who still bring up the Archer trade are just yinzer trolls. It's kinda sad, honestly. They made a bad trade, move on with your life. It's just obnoxious at this point because literally nothing new of value is being offered.

See mirror

edit: please take note that within the last 3 days DK on Sports, the Trib and Post Gazette have all referenced the trade via Meadows.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The trade comes up when it's Archer's turn to pitch, so roughly once a week. It's a weekly reminder that someone in the FO made an all-time bad decision.

Reactions: John Titor

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Is anyone hearing any names on who the Pirates might take with their first round pick in the draft on Monday night? Who are some players that you like?

The scuttle so far seems to be linking us to prep players, but for my part I think I'd like the safer route of a college pitcher. FanGraphs has us taking RHP Quinn Priester in the first, and SS Gunnar Henderson in the supplemental round, both prep players. On paper that would be a pretty great haul, since Henderson has been mocked in the first round a lot, including to us.

I think Law has us taking Shae Langeliers, the second ranked Catcher (college), but of course the top catcher is projected at #1 overall.

I've done no more than just browse a couple mocks and writeups, so this is hardly an opinion, but I like college RHP George Kirby, as well as college RHP Alek Manoah, and college LHP and former Pirate pick Nick Lodolo. Manoah and Lodolo both seem projected to go in the 10 picks before us, and Kirby is often there as well, but how it all plays out on Monday is anyone's guess.

The other name I've seen linked to us is 3B Bret Baty, who has a 70 power tool and very good hit tool as well. May need to move to 1B, and is older than a typical high school bat. The age doesn't seem to be a huge issue to me, and he seems like a high riser. Other than the age, he sounds a lot like Josh Bell when we drafted him.

We have a decent amount of money, so the strategy of going for harder to sign prep pitchers in the first 5-10 rounds may be in play again. Regardless of what we do, I hope we go pretty pitcher heavy in this year's draft. I haven't read enough about the entire draft to know where it's strong, but our lower minors really need the injection.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Stallings with Archer tonight. I think I like this lineup just fine. Polanco's defense was especially bad last night, but I think in terms of running down fly balls, he's still significantly better than Melky, and we need good outfield defense with Archer on the mound.

This game has the feeling of a bad omen if it goes the way that it probably will, but you can probably say that most nights. Win tonight and there's at least some hope of a split with Lyles vs Gio on Sunday.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Marte should be thankful I am not in charge cause I would have him seated on the bench for 3 days and then off to Cleveland for prospects.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict a better than expected result from Archer. And by that I mean a pretty low bar: he'll go five innings and mostly put up clean innings, maybe allowing two or three runs. My memory of the Dodgers start is pretty hazy, because I chose to just get drunk across the street from PNC Park over getting tickets on my last day in Pittsburgh this summer, but I thought that his stuff in terms of movement was really solid in the Rockies game.

Really, all it comes down to is whether he can locate fastballs in decent locations. If he's falling behind in counts, the Brewers are going to pummel him, and if he mails pitches into the heart of the zone in order to try and get ahead, the Brewers are going to pummel him.

If only the scenario I outlined had a 33% chance of happening vs these other two scenarios. I'd take those odds and run with them.

Reactions: td_ice

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Heh, yeah, the best part of my prediction is that I can be proven woefully wrong in about 10 minutes. Honestly, I'll take 30 pitches if it's a clean inning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad