OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Apollo, you wanna to ring the Bell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Quite the disaster...

At what point do we blame how these young pitchers are coached? They pretty much all are disasters.

Just wait a year or 2. We'll deal him for nothing and he'll turn into a Cy Young winner.

In all reality of all the top tier prospects I've seen pitch live for us Keller's stuff was the least impressive. I've never been that high on him.

I always liked Glasnow the best, Cole 2nd, Taillon a distant 3rd and Keller behind JT by a good margin.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm asking for your logic. Does the team care about twitter hashtags is that how they determine to call up a rookie? Otherwise whining about yinzer like you're so insightful just makes you look petty.

I don't know why you're getting so defensive about this, I was pointing out that the hive mind yinzers ended up wrong again about the Pirates. I don't know why you're so mad about that.

Pirates fans have been screaming for weeks about how Keller needs to come up. The Pirates were really hesitant to bring him up, and today's performance shows why. Maybe yinzers should stop screeching about Bob Nutting's wallet and pretending the team is just full of idiots when the team makes a decision that they don't like.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't know how anyone could be surprised by this. Keller has a history of getting his **** beat in at the start of new levels.

Unlimited security for Ray Searage continues...

Reactions: ImporterExporter

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think its time to remind everyone of Nick Kingham's first start.

7 IP
1 hit
0 walks
0 runs

Took a no hitter into the 7th.

Moral of the story is to not judge a pitcher by their 1st Major League start.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Keller looked dramatically better in that 2nd inning. I imagine that he'll get another start if he has a few more innings like that tonight, even with the atrocious 1st.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Stuff is a little loose, fastball is about 50/50in terms of life, doesn't seem to have a true, go to strikeout pitch, but overall I can see some good stuff. I don't see a true 1/2 guy without a 3rd pitch, though.

If he can find the feel for a trusty change piece, I think he can be a front end guy with the classic heater/hammer/change.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't pinch hit for Keller here. If they don't get an RBI here, it's going to look really stupid to take him out after he was dealing in the previous 3 innings.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Sort of your "classic" rookie appearance, with a disaster first inning followed by a lot of mostly good stuff for a short while. I think they will certainly give him another start, and I could see it go either way. There's definitely a good overall makeup there, but I think he might be living or dying with the curveball right now. Only had half an eye on the TV because I was tied up, but I guess I'm cautiously optimistic but still a little concerned about his development. I wasn't watching close enough to follow his pitches – was he mixing in the slider much?

I'd suspect that the first inning shellacking probably threw him off kilter, so hard to fully judge the pitch mix. This is obviously a bit hyperbolic, but giving up 5 runs and then settling in to at least get a bunch of very good, calm outs basically makes him our third best starter at the moment.

Anyways, the split was necessary and I'm glad Hurdle played for it in game one. The Reds are starting someone who looks worse than our depth options tomorrow, so we need to swiftly take that game and position ourselves to hopefully grab game four as well. The losses that are behind us stay behind us, but 4-6 feels like a big upgrade over 3-7 on this current 10-game stretch.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Just remembered that the draft is in less than a week. I won't pretend to have done more than click on a couple mock drafts and top 100 lists, but I've seen a couple places which have 19 1/2 year old 3B Brett Baty as the Pirates pick. He's old for a prep player, but apparently if he were a sophomore coming out of college in a couple of years, no one would bat an eye. Sounds like he grades out at the second best prep hitter in the draft, and there's a lot of strong feelings about him because of the age. But he reportedly has 70 grade power and may need to move to 1B, so the comparisons to Josh Bell are fairly obvious (committed to Texas, too).

Another name that is floating around near our pick is Greg Kirby, a college RHP who has a fastball that touches 98, and a sinking change, with potentially plus offspeed stuff. He sounds a lot like the prototypical Pirates target, with still some projection, and maybe slightly less risk/time to majors with being a college arm.

I definitely want pitching with the pick, but the only route is BPA in MLB, and at least this year we have a number of higher picks, so we should hopefully be able to target whatever upside has fallen at #18, or pivot to a safer, projectable pick like Kirby, and go after prep pitchers to lure with the other high picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad