OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: About that Hayes kid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
It's baseball, so let's not blow our tops yet, but Ben Cherington, on paper, probably just had the best 1st 4 rounds in draft history, certainly recently.

4 of BA's top 32 prospects picked within the first 72.

Just an insane amount of talent added in the last hour people.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I wouldn't count on Chandler signing quite yet, but chances are pretty good that they had reached some sort of agreement and the Pirates will likely go pretty cheap the rest of the way. If they do miss on signing him, they only lose the round 3 slot as opposed to picking him earlier and losing a larger part of their draft pool.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I wouldn't count on Chandler signing quite yet, but chances are pretty good that they had reached some sort of agreement and the Pirates will likely go pretty cheap the rest of the way. If they do miss on signing him, they only lose the round 3 slot as opposed to picking him earlier and losing a larger part of their draft pool.

Yeah, this is a very good point. I imagine we will see a good bit of college signings coming up here soon, and maybe the 11th round pick will be a giant swing that's a fallback for the bonus if Chandler doesn't sign.

At the same time, I don't think it's totally out of the question that Davis agreed to well below slot. It's probably at least 1.4 at 7M or so, but with how things we're shaping up, he may not have had a home until Boston, who had 6.6, and they were angling for Leiter. The difference between 6ish and 7ish is pretty big, though obviously we just have to wait and see.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Nowadays a

Nowadays almost every top 10 round picks signs

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, Cooper is bullish on them signing:

Still, the point about the third round slot as opposed to the slot for pick 37 is a good one. If you run into issues with Chandler somehow, it's not as much of a blow to the overall pool.

I don't think we should have anything to worry about with signability.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
I gotta say, this is an incredible draft the Pirates are having. I’ll admit I personally wanted Leiter but was alright with going underslot if BC could get some interesting guys in later rounds. Boy did he. I was hoping for at least one exciting guy but 3 additional first round talents? Not to mention Davis being the closest to the big show, showing that BC plans to compete in 2023/24. If they get all these guys signed, this could be a franchise defining draft. Just excellent work by BC here.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'm thrilled with the Davis pick at 1. He was who I was hoping they'd take all along. Other teams seemed to have been thrilled with his workouts recently. He fit a lot of things that were positives for the team and him being a catcher was only an added plus on top of it.

Regardless if Leiter works out or not in MLB I just couldn't go through us picking another pitcher and thinking they are going to blow their arm out again. We've had some bad luck with pitchers over the years. There wasn't a dominant monster pitching prospect this draft the likes of Strasburg where you are like no matter what he's worth taking over everyone.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
One last moon shot -- OF Christian Franklin would be awesome at 102. College guy, power and speed. Would really cap off this start to the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad