OT: Raise the Jolly Rodger: Setting sail on a new season

Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Always cool to see a guy get his 1st major league hit.

A. Williams with the rbi single. 7-4 now.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I like seeing the Ks from Priester. They are the strongest sign that he'll be able to put it together and reach the ceiling of a #3 anchor type pitcher. Otherwise I think he's mostly as advertised. He has the pitch mix, delivery, poise, and competitiveness to be fine as a 4/5 guy once he really gets a handle on sequencing and pitching to MLB hitters.

The other obvious thing is that if he can live closer to 95mph with the fastball, it will be a lot easier to hit that ceiling.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
And on the other hand, that's exactly what you can't have after a big inning. One thing to give up the hit to a good batter, but you can't walk on four pitches. I wouldn't even let him face Turner.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On Priester, I think the Pirates also aggressively called him up to the majors when he could have used more time in the minors. He's still really raw but you see the traits there to be a successful starter. He's going to be a control focused groundball pitcher, that's what he has been throughout all of the minors.

Remember, he's only 22 with only 20 starts in AAA. He's not MLB ready yet.

He also got entirely screwed over by that ump against Turner there. This ump has been calling that 1-2 and 2-2 pitch strikes all night.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Love seeing Harper have a sh*t game. 3 k's, his only hit, he blows with bad base running. And not exactly stellar defense. Not a fan.

EDIT:make that 4 k's.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nice to see the very good game from Peguero as well. I don't mind seeing him get a ton of run in order to see what we have. Most everyone else has gotten an extended shot at playing time, maybe excluding Gonzales, who just looks so overmatched most of the time.

I am not confident that Peguero will quite have everything put together, but you can see that the tools are there. He was always comped to Segura, and I can see it now that he's filled out and arrived on the scene. The good walk rates this year have also been encouraging. If the speed translates, that could make him a pretty interesting player to have around.

I also like Williams for the glove, and we'll see if he can catch fire at the plate or not. I'd basically be rolling with these two for now, and I think Gonzales could benefit from going back to Indy, maybe even to finish the season. The alarming thing from Gonzales has been that he really doesn't seem to make any kind of adjustments. This has also been true of him throughout the minors. The defense has been encouraging, but I don't know if the approach will allow him to get to the 20-25 HRs he could hit in a peak season.

When Cruz comes back, I assume he'll be treated with kid gloves and DH a decent bit. I'd keep Williams around and see what Peguero does with a solid 6+ weeks of consistent playing time. If he can hit 5 more HR, he'll quietly have 20 across the whole season.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Would it be too much to ask if we pulled off a trade that made the team better for next year? Like trade one of our 874 middle infielders for a corner infielder, center fielder, reliever or starter?

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Zebb off to a good start so far in Bradenton.
Sightler hitting 467 for Greensboro 3-5 last night
Chandler gave up one run one two hits. No walks ( !!) in five innings. In four starts this month he has a 2.57 era.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would it be too much to ask if we pulled off a trade that made the team better for next year? Like trade one of our 874 middle infielders for a corner infielder, center fielder, reliever or starter?

Yeah I know the Pirates are sellers, but I don't see why they can't also be trying to buy long-term pieces.

They need to add another starter, especially if they trade Hill. Hill may not be anything special but they need innings from starting pitchers.

Reactions: sovietsanta87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad