OT: Raise the Jolly Rodger: Setting sail on a new season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
(315 feet/3 seconds) * (3600 seconds/1 hour) * (1 mile/5280 feet) = 72 mph on average. If you assume the transfer of Harper from glove to throw + getting the tag down takes .5 seconds that would mean the ball would have to travel, on average, 86 miles an hour in the air and Harper's throw would have to be accurate.

A firably bad decision from the 3b coach.

Reactions: metalan2

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I guess there's some intrigue about Hill being moved today. With his scheduled start being tomorrow, it's possible that some team would want to step in and get him before then, leaving little time for a move tomorrow morning. That said, Ortiz is scheduled to pitch in AAA tonight, and Aldred is scheduled tomorrow. Could be a tell if the former is scratched tonight, and the latter is presumably the first one up to eat some innings, unless we want to get aggressive on Jared Jones, who turned in a very solid outing last night.

I'm trying to keep any deadline hopes or expectations in check, but Hill's been decent enough to give better teams a chance to win a lot of the time, and so in combination with the scarcity of pitching and the abundance of potential buyers, there might be something decent out there. That said, it's hard to see Hill differentiating himself from Lorenzen, Rodriguez, Flaherty, Stroman, and Montgomery, and he's probably at the end of that list (Montgomery is probably the best option for contending teams, unless the Padres sell Snell, which I wouldn't be too surprised to see).

Someone I'd have my eye on is Vaughn Grissom for the Braves. He's not really the solution for them in the middle infield, and while he's hitting well in AAA, the power hasn't really come yet. I could see him being a spare part who makes sense to sell high on, but maybe he's more suited for one of those other options. The White Sox being able to get Nastrini for Lynn has altered my expectations a bit, though it's hard to ballpark since Kelly was also in that deal.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Someone I'd have my eye on is Vaughn Grissom for the Braves. He's not really the solution for them in the middle infield, and while he's hitting well in AAA, the power hasn't really come yet. I could see him being a spare part who makes sense to sell high on, but maybe he's more suited for one of those other options. The White Sox being able to get Nastrini for Lynn has altered my expectations a bit, though it's hard to ballpark since Kelly was also in that deal.
I get being intrigued by Grissom in a vacuum but Good God how many MI prospects does one organization need, particularly when there is nothing resembling a 1B or CF anywhere in the organization?

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I get being intrigued by Grissom in a vacuum but Good God how many MI prospects does one organization need, particularly when there is nothing resembling a 1B or CF anywhere in the organization?
It's simple he uh field a team of nothing but shortstops. It's you and me, I know it's my destiny, gotta catch em all!

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I feel the same way that you do. It seems like enough should be enough at this point, but it's also tricky to look at the roster construction since the team is very bad as constructed, but also a number of positions seem to be filled or are filled:

OF: Reynolds, Suwinski, and Davis at least part-time // could certainly use a plus defender here for CF
3B: Hayes, assuming he can even stay on the field
SS: It's still Cruz in the long-run until it's not, IMO. Plenty of capable backups, including Williams who can really pick it
2B: This is more of an open question, but there are half a dozen options, and maybe not too zany to figure that Johnson might be knocking on the door by spring training 2025
1B: This is a bigger hole; Triolo might cover some here, but I'm not sure he has the bat

SP: Let's not even talk about it, you always need more pitching, and we need more than more.

That's my attempt to carve it up quick and dirty without getting way into the weeds. Alek Thomas could be a real nice fit for a CF option, but he's gotta be too valuable for a Hill trade and more of a supplementary player in a potential Keller or Bednar deal.

In a seller's market, I'm pretty split on how aggressive we should be getting. It's undeniable that Keller and Bednar should really be building blocks for the 2024 team and beyond, and as such moving either would be a really bad sign for the fans. But I think it's equally undeniable that the current situation is not very good and even an optimistic view of the current young players and their potential growth leaves me coming up short.

To expand on that, I do think there's plenty to be optimistic with in terms of Davis and Endy, and especially what the offense will look like when Cruz is healthy. If you then just say solid health for the pitching, maybe adding Brubaker to the pen, Skenes at some point relatively early in the year, some veteran spending, then I think you can squint and see the kind of pretty rapid transformation that happened for Baltimore between 2021 and 2022, but that kind of thing is still really rare.

Though I think the Pittsburgh thing isn't totally worth discounting, this is especially the case with Bednar. It's difficult to imagine the 2024 team taking a leap without a better bullpen, let alone one that lacks Bednar, but it's still just too obvious a truism to deny that a light's out closer is a luxury for a team currently in the cellar. If there's a path towards turning one closer into 2 players who can impact the 2024 team, and some additional depth/lotto tickets beyond that, I think you almost have to pull the trigger. There aren't enough free agents at positions of need, and we aren't signing them anyways.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I guess there's some intrigue about Hill being moved today. With his scheduled start being tomorrow, it's possible that some team would want to step in and get him before then, leaving little time for a move tomorrow morning. That said, Ortiz is scheduled to pitch in AAA tonight, and Aldred is scheduled tomorrow. Could be a tell if the former is scratched tonight, and the latter is presumably the first one up to eat some innings, unless we want to get aggressive on Jared Jones, who turned in a very solid outing last night.

I'm trying to keep any deadline hopes or expectations in check, but Hill's been decent enough to give better teams a chance to win a lot of the time, and so in combination with the scarcity of pitching and the abundance of potential buyers, there might be something decent out there. That said, it's hard to see Hill differentiating himself from Lorenzen, Rodriguez, Flaherty, Stroman, and Montgomery, and he's probably at the end of that list (Montgomery is probably the best option for contending teams, unless the Padres sell Snell, which I wouldn't be too surprised to see).

I’m going to the game tomorrow so if hill can get traded sooner rather than later that would be ideal

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Sinker ball pitcher throwing four seam fastballs down the middle. Brilliant. that only works against Bryan reynolds

Also I think suwinski could’ve gotten that ball but he turned his head twice and probably lost his bearings in relation to the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad