OT: Raiders news, notes

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the team goes say, 1-2 from here, 4-5 overall with AP (3-5 before), do you give him the job or see if Harbaugh has interest first?
I say rah rah player coach only get you so far. Like Pete Carroll in Seattle. Never had great OC because of Pete’s ball control philosophy. Running the ball first is fine but you can do that with way more motions and still be physical Ala SF. Defensively, haven’t been the same since Quinn left and even Richard who inherited the end of the LOB days. Norton and Hurt not exactly getting it done.

So Pierce needs to have people he can get for his OC and DC. Guys who can run a scheme for the talent they have and coach guys up.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I say rah rah player coach only get you so far. Like Pete Carroll in Seattle. Never had great OC because of Pete’s ball control philosophy. Running the ball first is fine but you can do that with way more motions and still be physical Ala SF. Defensively, haven’t been the same since Quinn left and even Richard who inherited the end of the LOB days. Norton and Hurt not exactly getting it done.

So Pierce needs to have people he can get for his OC and DC. Guys who can run a scheme for the talent they have and coach guys up.

I agree about player coaches and relying on motivational speeches probably has its limits and I'd probably prefer they take a long look at what's out there before making a decision.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree about player coaches and relying on motivational speeches probably has its limits and I'd probably prefer they take a long look at what's out there before making a decision.
need to create schemes to play calls that put you into the best position to win. Can’t just rely on a players raw physical ability forever. Guys age and no guarantee you find replacements.

Absolutely need to see what is out there. But it’s still Mark making the final call like he did with McDaniels.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Davis is required to interview at least two external candidates before hiring new coach; can't just name interim Pierce new coach.
Yeah, but 2 out of the last 3 games, no offensive touchdowns. Just 2 FGs in those 2 games, but sandwiched in between was a butt kicking by the team vs Chargers.

Pierce absolutely needs an upgrade at OC. Without someone good in that role, I can't give him the job. He'd be like Dan Campbell without Ben Johnson. Which is something, I'm curious to see how Detroit performs next season without Johnson, should he take a HC job this off-season. Be kind of like Buffalo after Daboll left.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For 2024 schedule, with the results so far:
Get AFC North - Cin/Bal on Road. Pit/Cle at home
Get NFC South - TB/NO on Road. Car/ATL at home
Get Rams as extra game in LA
Get Jax and Mia as 2nd place schedule.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mark has done little to give us confidence that he’s going to get this right. I hope he hires a GM first who has authority over personnel. HC should tell the GM what areas of the team need upgrades. GM needs to understand the scheme the team runs to ensure additions fit.

With all of the stuff going on in NO with Allen and with Amy Trask saying she isn’t surprised Saints players went rogue on him it shows poorly on Mark and the Raiders for hiring him a decade ago.

Pierce can work but they will need to find a good OC. But without a QB what up and coming coach would take the job?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Or not
Kliff signed with AZ through to 2027, so he's getting paid by them in full until then. I would assume an OC job would still qualify as Offset language, so this should not be a money issue as he would still make the same $5 mill or so for the season with AZ covering the balance between his OC salary and HC salary. Unless, this would not qualify? Some sites were reporting that he wanted 3 not just 2 years from LV. Which seems a bit odd given his AZ money is still coming for 3 more seasons.

Not sure why he'd want to lock himself onto LV for 3 years vs. have the flexibility to move on if he wanted? Oh well.

Could also signal that he's not as confident in his system working with the QB that the Raiders are looking at.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00