Player Discussion Rafaël Harvey-Pinard

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
OK well i am little confused I just saw this on a site Harvey-Pinard, Rafaël must be signed before June 1, 2021 or rights are relinquished. Is this true or is it a mistake?
Well If this is true then Cool, 2 years extra to develop under Joel Bouchard

Being drafted out of the CHL, the organization has 2 years to sign him. This year is his last year in Junior. So he will turn pro next year.

What Montreal can benefit with having his rights until June 2021 is sign him to a 1-year AHL deal and then sign him to his 3-year ELC. That way, they get 4 years of him in the pros before they need to sign him to his second NHL contract.

Reactions: habsfan92 and wildD

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
His goal is to play for the Rocket next year. His season started off the wrong foot, 8 game goalless streak. He's satisfied with his season except for how things started. He's started taking online classes for CEGEP during the crisis and he thinks he's hit the objectives given by the Habs brass this year. They asked him to get faster and gain muscle. He says it's hard during the season but he maintained it during the year. He feels that playing on a larger rink in Chicoutimi helped him since he had to take more strides (enjambées) to cover the distance between two spots.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

RHP wins the Marcel-Robert Award for Scholastic Player of the Year for 2019-2020.

Alexandre Alain won the same award two years ago in 2017-2018.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Already 21 years old.

I don't know why we drafted him.

Same as why they drafted Khisamutdinov, they liked him and knew that he would be a free agent and that teams would line up to convince him to sign with their team. So the Habs used one of their late round picks on him, getting him in the system and they wouldn't get in line trying to sign him.

Reactions: dralaf

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

“RHP takes us through a day in his life, from a biology course in the morning to a game.”

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If the Habs are still posting clips of him, I have to imagine he'll be in Laval next year. He wouldn't sign an AHL deal would he?

The Habs still hold his rights for another year. So they can sign him to an AHL deal for one season and then sign him to his 3-year ELC by June 2021. So they'd effectively get 4 years of RHP.

RHP has openly said he wants to play in Laval. He even said that if going through the ECHL is what it takes, he'd be ready to do that, too.

So hearing him say that, he sounds very willing to sign an AHL deal.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Habs still hold his rights for another year. So they can sign him to an AHL deal for one season and then sign him to his 3-year ELC by June 2021. So they'd effectively get 4 years of RHP.

RHP has openly said he wants to play in Laval. He even said that if going through the ECHL is what it takes, he'd be ready to do that, too.

So hearing him say that, he sounds very willing to sign an AHL deal.

If they sign him for 2021-2022, wouldn't he count as a 22 years old (2 year ELC)?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That should be music to the ears of Laval Rocket coach Joel Bouchard, who said on a conference call Monday that this extensive pause represents a unique opportunity for his players and Canadiens prospects alike.
“I know this is a time where we feel on standstill a little bit and for an athlete, more than anybody else, you feel when you cannot do your craft that you’re stuck, you’re done, you’re not going to be able to do anything,” Bouchard said. “I disagree… If I was a young 18, 19-year-old guy, there’s no reason I wouldn’t have a six-pack. That’s what I talk to the guys about all the time. Why can you not be a better athlete coming out of this? It’s beyond me. And it all comes down to attitude, will. And I always say this, when I talk about scouting or I talk about evaluating a certain player, the No. 1 skill is passion for the game, it’s passion to get better. And we’ve seen it again this year with guys that defeat the odds, that find a way to play a game in the NHL or get themselves up by doing a little extra. So I just see it as: What are you going to do when your competition is on the couch? And I think that’s what the guys should be thinking also.”

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Good for him, it probably comes with an unwritten understanding that if he does well next year this might lead to a two way deal with the Habs down the line. He's over the age limit for junior hockey now so that was the best option.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good for him, it probably comes with an unwritten understanding that if he does well next year this might lead to a two way deal with the Habs down the line.

Pretty much. And with him no longer eligible to re-enter the draft, even if his rights expire next year, maybe they can sign him to another AHL deal next year?

I think he will thrive under Bouchard. He is made for the type of game Bouchard wants Laval to play. That hard working, tenacious, make-you-earn-every-inch-of-ice brand of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00