Player Discussion Rafaël Harvey-Pinard

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm not surprised, although they have stayed away from the Q in the previous 5 drafts outside of the 3 (Houde, Bourque, Audette) since the disaster of '13 (Fucale, Ghetto, Reway, Gregoire) Though I liked Legare and wanted to pick him and as bad as our Q scouts have been, our Swedish ones have been even worse so hopefully we don't regret the Norlinder over Legare pick.

But trading for a kid that we shouldn't have had trouble signing just to quell the media is sad since it's bad enough they at least appear to have tried to appease them last year with Houde when they could have had several other better picks.

It is too bad that they are owned by Molson and feel the need to pander to these zealots in order to protect the company. It would be cool to have a private owner who would shake his **** at them while icing a winner lol.

At least the pandering has been kept to the minimum in regards to the draft. I would rather throw them a 7th round crumb like RHP than a steak in the form of Lavoie over Caufield.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Did you hear the nonsense that Timmins has already had to answer for not picking Legare.....would be even worse if they hadn't acquired and made this pick.

Next year's draft is very worrisome as they are already talking about accruing picks for the draft in Montreal. Hopefully they don't do anything stupid to appease the local mob.

Montreal almost never drafts from the Q.

Reactions: dralaf

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Captain of a Memorial Cup winning team... Habs had pretty good success with Frankie B and Gorges who were both similarly Memorial Cup winning team captains. Hopefully this guy continues that tradition (both Gorges and Bouillon were also undrafted, this guy almost went undrafted too, but the Habs snagged him with a 7th rounder at the 11th hour).

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Captain of a Memorial Cup winning team... Habs had pretty good success with Frankie B and Gorges who were both similarly Memorial Cup winning team captains. Hopefully this guy continues that tradition (both Gorges and Bouillon were also undrafted, this guy almost went undrafted too, but the Habs snagged him with a 7th rounder at the 11th hour).

He has there caractere !

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If you want to draft more Q players.. put pressure on Hockey Quebec to develop better hockey players.

The Q was not strong this year; Poulin, Pelletier and Lavoie were gone before our first 2nd round pick.. Bolduc and Legare are not stand outs vs. the field of other players from other leagues.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He's already been traded to the Sags for next season per elite prospect. Should be one of the best players on one of the best teams again.

You are correct. I forgot about that. He was also named captain of that team right after the trade. I updated the thread title to change the team he plays for.

So with Chicoutimi, we'll have RPH and Houde to watch.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
You are correct. I forgot about that. He was also named captain of that team right after the trade. I updated the thread title to change the team he plays for.

So with Chicoutimi, we'll have RPH and Houde to watch.

Yea should be a fun year to follow prospects again! As I said, the Sags are probably top 3 team in the league and if Dobson goes back he'll end up on them if you believe the rumors.

Reactions: Vachon23

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Montreal almost never drafts from the Q.

If you want to draft more Q players.. put pressure on Hockey Quebec to develop better hockey players.

This a thousand times. I have 2 nephews that played high level hockey and both got discouraged by the garbage they had to deal with and quit before getting to the Q. Both talented and I honestly believe would've easily made it in the O or the WHL but the messed up Hockey Quebec killed their enthusiasm. Heck one of my 2 nephews even ended having to go to court because of shady team owners.

The older one doesn't even want to play garage-league because just looking at his gear gets him flustered but the younger one now works as a consultant for pro or soon to be pro hockey players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's already been traded to the Sags for next season per elite prospect. Should be one of the best players on one of the best teams again.

if he goes back as an overager. don't really see the point as it's clear he's a very good player for the Q but needs to work on getting quicker.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They will probably make that call in training camp no?

most likely, we'll have to see how he does at development camp first, what the roster in Laval will look like as we get closer to the season and then how he does at the rookie camp and then training camp. I don't think he would make Laval's roster unless there are changes I'm not expecting, so then it comes down to what they think is better, ECHL or QMJHL? I'm usually not a fan of 20 year olds playing against 16-19 year olds mostly, if we had signed Tyszka I would have been ok with him going back to the WHL but not sure what RHP would learn from the Q that he already hasn't.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This a thousand times. I have 2 nephews that played high level hockey and both got discouraged by the garbage they had to deal with and quit before getting to the Q. Both talented and I honestly believe would've easily made it in the O or the WHL but the messed up Hockey Quebec killed their enthusiasm. Heck one of my 2 nephews even ended having to go to court because of shady team owners.

The older one doesn't even want to play garage-league because just looking at his gear gets him flustered but the younger one now works as a consultant for pro or soon to be pro hockey players.

Mind sharing a bit what happened ? You peaked my curiosity.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He was Sportsnet's pick for standout of the 7th round:

A smallish player who has the heart of a lion, Harvey-Pinard captained the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies to President and Memorial Cup titles.
Having experienced a pro camp with the Vegas Golden Knights, Harvey-Pinard will not be fazed by going to camp with Montreal. At the CHL level, he’s a point producer, and he’s relied upon in crucial situations. Harvey-Pinard is like a second coach with his ability to think the game. Hockey IQ is off the charts and when matched with work ethic gives him the chance to make it as a late pick.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Mind sharing a bit what happened ? You peaked my curiosity.

The older one was a large for his age, 6'0" at Bantam(?), powerful skating D-man. Well in the area he was playing the refs basically had an eye out for him and penalized him non-stop for just getting near the other kids. He was wide-shouldered and very strong but was very disciplined and tried to avoid contact with the other smaller players at all times. Well his coaches reacted by limiting his ice-time to avoid penalties despite him being a Captain and by far their best D. His mother sent several letters to Quebec Hockey but they said it was a regional matter and brushed it off. A couple of years later my nephew gave up on his dreams. He's a stock broker now.

The younger one was a gifted athlete. He won a SportsQuebec(?) swimming competition(don't ask me what disc) at the age of 12 in the 16yr old division. But hockey was his true love. He was terrific, good hands, a leader and one of the best skaters you've ever seen, NHL'ers included. He was even visited by agents. Anywho he ended up in some Bantam team owned and coached by some rich guy who prioritized his own kid to the detriment of my nephew and the team. That nephew's parents, tried everything to be let out of that team. Even went to court over it. Long story short Hockey Quebec, who sided with the dirtbag, won and my nephew had the option of either leaving Bantam or moving out of the province. Finally decided playing for his school, which was lower competition. Things fizzled out and he was disheartened and gave up on hockey. He's in university now studying Computer engineering but works part-time as a skating consultant. He's worked a lot with the Habs and also other NHL'ers.

Now I'm not saying either one would've made it to the NHL but they were both talented players and Hockey Quebec didn't give a rat's ass about their development or trying to create an environment where others like them could thrive.

Reactions: dralaf and Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The older one was a large for his age, 6'0" at Bantam(?), powerful skating D-man. Well in the area he was playing the refs basically had an eye out for him and penalized him non-stop for just getting near the other kids. He was wide-shouldered and very strong but was very disciplined and tried to avoid contact with the other smaller players at all times. Well his coaches reacted by limiting his ice-time to avoid penalties despite him being a Captain and by far their best D. His mother sent several letters to Quebec Hockey but they said it was a regional matter and brushed it off. A couple of years later my nephew gave up on his dreams. He's a stock broker now.

The younger one was a gifted athlete. He won a SportsQuebec(?) swimming competition(don't ask me what disc) at the age of 12 in the 16yr old division. But hockey was his true love. He was terrific, good hands, a leader and one of the best skaters you've ever seen, NHL'ers included. He was even visited by agents. Anywho he ended up in some Bantam team owned and coached by some rich guy who prioritized his own kid to the detriment of my nephew and the team. That nephew's parents, tried everything to be let out of that team. Even went to court over it. Long story short Hockey Quebec, who sided with the dirtbag, won and my nephew had the option of either leaving Bantam or moving out of the province. Finally decided playing for his school, which was lower competition. Things fizzled out and he was disheartened and gave up on hockey. He's in university now studying Computer engineering but works part-time as a skating consultant. He's worked a lot with the Habs and also other NHL'ers.

Now I'm not saying either one would've made it to the NHL but they were both talented players and Hockey Quebec didn't give a rat's ass about their development or trying to create an environment where others like them could thrive.

Well, I would look at it in another way. Even if they didn't make the NHL, maybe they'd have been excellent midget AAA, QHJML and eventually minor pros. And, if they did become good players in developmental leagues, it would only up the competition and give potential NHLers a higher caliber of play. Basically, everyone benefits.

Your story isn't the only one either. You should read Martin Leclercs 2010 article on Sean Couturier. His father has always refused to call his son a product of Quebec Hockey. Read it and you'll see why. They basically did everything to hold him down. One individual who evaluated him to see if he could play bantam instead of pee wee called him "an ordinary player". He was scoring at a 4ppg rate... Eventually his dad sent him in NB then in Saskatchewan.

We're talking about a top 10 NHL draft pick who's currently a premiere center here.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think this is underrated here. I talked with a couple of person who work in the Q and know him very well and I heard the Jonathan Marchessault comparaison more then one time.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think this is underrated here. I talked with a couple of person who work in the Q and know him very well and I heard the Jonathan Marchessault comparaison more then one time.

He's way ahead of Marchessault in terms of points as the same age although if he was born 4 days later he would have been in the Q for an extra year if he wanted to be an overager again. But he before that overage season he had 144 pts in 186 games in his age 17, 18 and 19 seasons compared to Havery-Pinard's 184 pts in 183 games at 17, 18 and 19. That said Marchessault had a big year as an overager with 95 pts in 68 games.

I don't see room for Havery-Pinard in Laval so it's either the ECHL or Sags. If he's with the Sags hopefully he puts up huge numbers.

At 21 Marchessault smoked the AHL as a rookie as he was tied for 10th in league scoring with 64 pts. So if RHP is in Laval at 21, he would need some kind of season. Marchessault though didn't play a full season in the NHL till he was 26, at 25 he did finally make the NHL with TB playing 45 games, putting up 17 pts which puts him on pace for 33 over 82. Before that he had a total of 4 NHL games with 1 pt.

So the question would be not so much how RHP compares to Marchessault since that's a very lofty expectation, but it's how much better can he get when he turns pro. That said if we were to compare, since I didn't see Marchessault with the Remparts, my question would be how their skating and speed compared cause in the little i've seen of RHP it's a major issue for him to improve for when he does turn pro.

Reactions: canadiensnation

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He's way ahead of Marchessault in terms of points as the same age although if he was born 4 days later he would have been in the Q for an extra year if he wanted to be an overager again. But he before that overage season he had 144 pts in 186 games in his age 17, 18 and 19 seasons compared to Havery-Pinard's 184 pts in 183 games at 17, 18 and 19. That said Marchessault had a big year as an overager with 95 pts in 68 games.

I don't see room for Havery-Pinard in Laval so it's either the ECHL or Sags. If he's with the Sags hopefully he puts up huge numbers.

At 21 Marchessault smoked the AHL as a rookie as he was tied for 10th in league scoring with 64 pts. So if RHP is in Laval at 21, he would need some kind of season. Marchessault though didn't play a full season in the NHL till he was 26, at 25 he did finally make the NHL with TB playing 45 games, putting up 17 pts which puts him on pace for 33 over 82. Before that he had a total of 4 NHL games with 1 pt.

So the question would be not so much how RHP compares to Marchessault since that's a very lofty expectation, but it's how much better can he get when he turns pro. That said if we were to compare, since I didn't see Marchessault with the Remparts, my question would be how their skating and speed compared cause in the little i've seen of RHP it's a major issue for him to improve for when he does turn pro.

I agree with all what you said, and he will play with the Sags this year no doubt in my mind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad