Race for the Calder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Kaprizov is still likely a lock, even if Robertson ends up with more points. Just how it's going to work. He's been considered a lock since game 1 by a lot of the media guys and some of them still haven't recognized Robertson even exists

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Kaprizov is still likely a lock, even if Robertson ends up with more points. Just how it's going to work. He's been considered a lock since game 1 by a lot of the media guys and some of them still haven't recognized Robertson even exists

It is tunnel vision bullshit,

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Thought id give this a bump. There are some other threads about some individual players specifically, but looks like we have a genuine race here now. To me it looks like 2 out of the 3 finalist spots are almost locked..

Kaprizov- with 37 pts in 44 games played (18 goals 19 assists). Leads rookies in goals and points. Well documented how great he has been all season.

Jason Robertson- 33 pts in 39 games played (13 goals, 20 assists) leads rookies in assists and ppg at .85 (kap a hair 2nd at .84)

Both rookies would be on pace for a 70 pt season if it was an 82 game schedule. (And they played all games).

I think Kaprizov still has a slight lead for the Calder, but Robertsons pace sinch March 1 has been enormous. Both players have 12 games left.

Other candidates who could be the 3rd finalist

Josh Norris - 29 pts in 46 games played (13 goals 16 assists). Tied for 2nd in rookie goals and 3rd in points, leads rookies in powerplay points.

Ty Smith- 21 pts in 44 games played (2 goals 19 assists). 2nd in assists among ALL rookies. Has twice as many points as the next highest rookie defenseman. Been consistant all year against key matchups of opposing fwds.

Kevin Lankinen - has cooled off recently but had a fantastic start and middle to season. 16 wins from 33 starts, 2nd in wins, 5th in saves% and has 180 more saves than any other rookie goalie this season.

Igor Shesterkin - 13 wins from 24 starts, 2nd in saves % among rookie goalies

Its been a quality season for rookie goalies, could make a case for Nedjelkovic, Sorokin, Kahkonen,Vanecek and Oettinger all have had great seasons but might not have enough starts to be ahead of Lankinen or Shesterkin.

What are peoples thought on who will be this years finalists with 10-12 games left.

Finalists to me are

Kaprizov
Robertson
Lankinen

Ty Smith and Norris falling just short at moment but a strong stretch could have them in the conversation.

Thoughts?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Definitely a two-horse race now, I'd say.

Agreed, edge most likely still goes to Kaprizov but Robertson is on a heater and could add to it with a few more solid games against Detroit this week.

I'd swap out Lankinen with Smith or Norris, but the rookie goalie crop can't be overlooked I guess. Plenty of solid choices out there.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Another thing to consider for Kaprizov is that he leads his playoff bound team in scoring by a large margin (currently by 9 points)....and has done so since game 1.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've pushed back against some Minnesota fans declarations about Kaprizov having won the award so early, but as I always said, I thought Kaprizov was having a very solid season.

However, looking into the numbers more, I'm less impressed now than before. I didn't realize that he leads Minnesota in TOI/G amongst forwards, and PP TOI/G. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but these people that whine about who his center is or that he leads the team in points per game, if he's the best forward and best PP forward, which those numbers suggest, why would any of that be a good excuse for the best player? Maybe for a sheltered 18 year old rookie, like Stuetzle, that needs a lot of help to prop him up, but I don't buy it for the guy who a coach deploys as his best forward and offensive forward. And thats on a playoff team, it's not the best forward and offensive forward on the worst team in the league.

Robertson is putting up a better points per game number, although very minimally, than Kaprizov. But he's doing that with much less TOI/G, and much less PP TOI/G. Robertson also has good advanced stats. I'd characterize Kaprizov's advanced stats as average. Both guys have the exact same PDO, which is also a pretty high PDO. Thats before you get to the goalies.

As I said, Kaprizov has been good, and I'm not doubting that, but this crowning he got very prematurely has been exposed when a forward, like Robertson, whose not exactly putting up a historic rookie season has come onto the scene a little later into the season, and is outperforming Kaprizov's season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Mind you, Robertson had a full year to adapt to the Stars system as he played in their AHL team before being called up this season. Kaprizov could only practice for a few games last season and a training camp, which a bunch of new faces were introduced, this season. Robertson had 60+ games to play with the Stars and their coaches. They had a much more hands on approach with Robertson.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I've pushed back against some Minnesota fans declarations about Kaprizov having won the award so early, but as I always said, I thought Kaprizov was having a very solid season.

However, looking into the numbers more, I'm less impressed now than before. I didn't realize that he leads Minnesota in TOI/G amongst forwards, and PP TOI/G. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but these people that whine about who his center is or that he leads the team in points per game, if he's the best forward and best PP forward, which those numbers suggest, why would any of that be a good excuse for the best player? Maybe for a sheltered 18 year old rookie, like Stuetzle, that needs a lot of help to prop him up, but I don't buy it for the guy who a coach deploys as his best forward and offensive forward. And thats on a playoff team, it's not the best forward and offensive forward on the worst team in the league.

Robertson is putting up a better points per game number, although very minimally, than Kaprizov. But he's doing that with much less TOI/G, and much less PP TOI/G. Robertson also has good advanced stats. I'd characterize Kaprizov's advanced stats as average. Both guys have the exact same PDO, which is also a pretty high PDO. Thats before you get to the goalies.

As I said, Kaprizov has been good, and I'm not doubting that, but this crowning he got very prematurely has been exposed when a forward, like Robertson, whose not exactly putting up a historic rookie season has come onto the scene a little later into the season, and is outperforming Kaprizov's season.

Yes, Roberston has caught Kaprizov.

No, Roberston wasn't in the conversation 6 weeks ago.

That's how these things work all the time.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yes, Roberston has caught Kaprizov.

No, Roberston wasn't in the conversation 6 weeks ago.

That's how these things work all the time.

I mean Alexis Lafreniere was the odds-on favorite to win at the beginning of the season and he's probably not even in the top 10 of rookies. Also early on Suter was in conversation and then...well...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It’s amazing that Kakko can be in his 5th NHL season and that would be considered his rookie year going by Kaprizov’s situation.

It's amazing that Kakko was a 2nd overall pick and that Kaprizov was a 5th round pick - or that some college kids are considered 'rookies' when they have 4 years of college and a season in the AHL.

BTW Kakko had a year of pro experience before being selected 2nd overall.

Reactions: kp61c

IdontSpitOnTheIce

Apr 27, 2012
Romanov is an interesting piece for the Russian international team and Montreal but as a 21 y/o dman he can’t be racking enough points for the calder but he’s one of the best rookie.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Hasn’t Norris forced his way into the top 3 by now?

ppg over the last 5 weeks. Plays centre - which everyone tells us is March harder to break in as - and is matched up against McDavid, Schiefle, Matthews, Horvat etc.

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Mind you, Robertson had a full year to adapt to the Stars system as he played in their AHL team before being called up this season. Kaprizov could only practice for a few games last season and a training camp, which a bunch of new faces were introduced, this season. Robertson had 60+ games to play with the Stars and their coaches. They had a much more hands on approach with Robertson.
Mind you, Kaprizov is 2 years older than Robertson and has been playing professional hockey against men for 3 more season than Robertson.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Mind you, Kaprizov is 2 years older than Robertson and has been playing professional hockey against men for 3 more season than Robertson.

And Robertson played on North American ice for more than 5 years.

We can keep playing this game.

How many CHL players have won the Calder in the past 10 years? 20 years? How many International players? How many Russian players have actually made an impact their first year in North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille